Front Spring Bush Advice Please

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just checked my bushes and this job is now on my to-do list. Can you describe the issues you had installing them on the shackle end and how you used the hydraulic spreader to resolve them? How long did it take you to do the job?

The shackle end just requires more precise positioning to get everything to line up - and in my case the air cleaner and other chassis stuff was more in the way. I ended up using a 2 jaw gear puller to help get everything into place. I used a spreader instead of a small jack - but in the same way Steve did in his photo.

I spent the better part of a day doing the job, but it wouldn't take me near that amount of time a second time around. It is by no means a difficult job, but like most tasks the first time you do it you spend a lot more time learning than actually doing.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Would a drift pin be helpful in the alignment process or would things just move out of place once the drift was removed to install the pin/bolt?

pugslyyy

Would a drift pin be helpful in the alignment process or would things just move out of place once the drift was removed to install the pin/bolt?

I found a pry bar to be more useful than a drift pin. I have a crowbar that I cut the curved part off of that I found the be quite handy - as you lower the frame onto the leaf spring it helps you not catch and tear the new bushing.

gait

Explorer
when I replaced springs I found it easier if both sides were jacked the same amount. I had tall axle stands. For bushes only I'd spread the side I wasn't working on even if I didn't remove pins.

A bit of detergent helped with rubber bushes. I have some polyurethane ready to fit when required.

pugslyyy

when I replaced springs I found it easier if both sides were jacked the same amount. I had tall axle stands. For bushes only I'd spread the side I wasn't working on even if I didn't remove pins.

A bit of detergent helped with rubber bushes. I have some polyurethane ready to fit when required.

I can see how lifting both sides the same would make things line up better side-to-side.

Bris31

Adventurer
Replaced bush only as bushes and pins replaced 6 months ago. Been keeping grease up on regular basis and this protected pin.should now last until we get home and can replace all bushes on all springs. Turning streering wheel lined up pin perfectly, which I had though of doing that an hour earlier. Lol

Question, how often have to grease them - after certain Kms or time interval (or which comes first) ?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
how often have to grease them

That is kind of like a "how long is a piece of string" question, where there is no definitive answer.
Maintenance schedules are usually carried out in relation to the kind of work that the truck has been doing, not a specific mileage or time frame.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Is there a reason not to jack up the frame in the center at the front and replace both front spring bushes at the same time?

pugslyyy

Is there a reason not to jack up the frame in the center at the front and replace both front spring bushes at the same time?

No, I just decided to do it one wheel off the ground at a time because that is usually the most stable way. No reason to not do it your way if you have the right gear to do it safely. I have to build a pretty big pile of lumber under my jack to get it to reach so decided on a conservative approach.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Question, how often have to grease them - after certain Kms or time interval (or which comes first) ?

I have met some of the canter drivers doing the big kms out west that grease everyday. I generally grease based on how much twisting and corrugations etc I have been doing. If tough conditions every few day, if general road use, once a month or more.

Bris31

Adventurer
I have met some of the canter drivers doing the big kms out west that grease everyday. I generally grease based on how much twisting and corrugations etc I have been doing. If tough conditions every few day, if general road use, once a month or more.

Thanks Steve, makes sense to me now.
Cheers

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
I have no grease fittings on my front spring bushings. Is that abnormal?

No most canters were not fitted with these as standard (at least in Australia), but some of us like to have them and they are avail for purchase. There are two types of pins you can buy, one is greasable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles