other uses for the EAS compressor on P38

Jdaiii

I'm currently shopping for a P38. I see that some of the trucks for sale already have the spring conversion. I'm personally more interested in the original EAS but in the case that I do pick up one with the spring conversion, I was wondering if anyone has left their compressor and tank for the EAS and set them up on a switch for on demand use then set it up with a connector so that you can inflate the tires after going through snow or sand where I would normally let out some air for better traction? Our current method is to carry around a crappy 12v compressor that takes ages, but I was thinking that if there is space for a compressor that does 150psi and a tank to store some of the air, why not use that for another purpose?

I'm not sure how I would go about this, but just curious if it sounds like a dumb idea, or something that I could do to prevent having to mount a compressor elsewhere or having to carry around the crappy one we use now.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
By the time the air springs are replaced the compressor is usually worn out (the Teflon "piston ring" ) gets to the point where the compressor is anaemic and takes forever to pump up tires, and being in that box gets very hot making it even worse... Buy yourself a power tank system, much better... Or an extreme air system or the ARB compressor...

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
What I've seen people do before (and what I have on my P38) is to replace the stock compressor with a better unit in the same place and hook it to the factory air tank. As said above, the factory compressor tends to be unreliable at the age they are now. A coiled air hose can be stuffed up between the frame rail and body for refilling tires.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

spikemd

Explorer
Yes, ditch the OEM compressor, it is not rated for full duty. I was contemplating getting the ARB mini compressor and then piping it in to the tank. All the plumbing is there and it is easy to tap into. I would also include a pressure gauge for assurance. The only reason I haven't done this project is because I bought a 109 Santana and am awaiting shipment from Spain.

For any serious offroading, you have to ditch the EAS. The P38 rides incredibly well with the EAS but it is prone to failure especially now after 15 to 20 years. Rubber doesn't last and bushings wear. I rebuilt me valve block once and my compressor twice before I ditched it. My buddy blew his Gen Arnott springs in Death Valley and that was the final straw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94