LC150 vs LC200

I am currently driving a 2016 Toyota Tundra, I am starting to look at the LC200 or LC150/GX460 as my daily driver and camping rig. Having recently moved to the Houston area, my dogs are struggling with the heat being in the back of the truck. The wife doesn't like them in the back seat right behind us, so we are looking at another SUV so they can ride in the back. We have owned a couple of 5th Gen 4runners, we love them. The problem is, the boat I currently own is big enough it exceeds my comfort level towing it with our current 5th gen 4runner. Obviously the Tundra is a towing beast and I really like the 38 gallon fuel tank now included with the Tundras. My boat is a 22ft center console with a T-top so it has a fairly big wind profile, but its wet weight is within the rated towing capacity of the 4runner, GX and LC200. I am comparing the WB and width of the LC150 and LC200. Looking at the dimensions, the 200 is closer to the Tundra. Does anyone have any direct towing comparisons between the Tundra and LC200? Or maybe GX/150 and 200 comparisons they could share? As far as how much I tow, I put the boat in the water weekly, but its just basically pulling it from my storage shed to the ramp which is 200 yards away. We plan to start towing 2 hours to the south to fish once a month and I will need to tow the boat a long ways once we leave Texas in a few years.

trade tundra in for sequoia?

Not currently in consideration. Partly because I need to fulfill my long standing LC fetish, but also I am hoping to find a better balance between my towing needs and my enjoyment of hitting trails or exploring.

What's the problem with having the dogs behind you in the rear seats area? If it's fur, having them in the back/cargo area of an SUV won't make any difference (been there)

I dont disagree with this! We spent 8 weeks camping and touring our way around the west coast and Canada with two dogs in the back of our 4runner. Hair disaster! The big issues are the dogs breathing heavily in the wife's ear, the lack of comfort in the Tundra, and eventually we will have kids that will need a dry space to ride when we go exploring and camping...

But, I really like the platform you built. I will copy it in the interim while I decide on which Cruiser to buy.

4Running

200 has a shorter wheelbase than the Tundra but has the towing power for that. Guys on ih8mud have discussed their towing experiences with 200 a decent amount so you might want to check that out. Depending on your needs, you might want to add a brake controller, firmer rear springs and/or airbags.

Sequoia has more room (i.e. space behind the third row. On paper, interior dimensions of 200 aren't that substantially more than my 4th gen 4R (I have both but haven't towed anything with them so can't speak to that). On the 200 with the third row folded (or removed), you will have decent space for dogs but it may get cramped right quick if you have a lot of gear. All said, you will not be disappointed with a 200 if you go that route.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Forget the GX for towing. It does ok, but nothing compared to your Tundra. Short wheelbase is the problem. On the LC, payload and suspension may be an issue.

Personally, I would just keep the Tundra. If the wife doesn't like the seats, get some memory foam covers. For the dogs, there are lots of solutions. Easy one being fans being wired up to push air, and insulating the top of the shell. They've got some cooling dog beds as well (not sure how well they work). I love dogs, too, but they stay in the bed.

94toy22re

Observer
GX460 and 5th gen 4runner are both 150 series so your only advantage getting a GX is the v8!

Last edited:

Koffee-Black

Do your 150 series come Turbo Diesel? If so Id gett hat for towing, as I know you poor bastards dont get the LC200 TT Diesel hehe

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just get a 200 and be done with it. The fact that it is one of two options means deep down you want it. And in the end it will satisfy your "LC fetish", and retain far more resale value than a GX/Frunner ever will. There is no LC 150 in N.A. If it doesn't say Land Cruiser... It isn't! The Lexus and 4Runner might be built on a similar chassis, and great cars in their own way but they are not the same car, no matter how much you try to make it so.

p nut

butter
Do your 150 series come Turbo Diesel? If so Id gett hat for towing, as I know you poor bastards dont get the LC200 TT Diesel hehe

It's not the power that's the issue. The 4.7L in the 4Runner/GX is plenty for what he's towing. It's everything else that becomes potential problems.

Taco2FJ

Observer
I just switched from a FJ to a 200 series. Nothing wrong with that platform but just got too small for my growing family.

If it was me, get a 200. Engines aside, GX460s run smaller 8.2 rear diffs and GX470s run the even older (yet still good) 8" with 8" front diffs in both. 200s use a 9.5 rear and a 9" front. Everything is bigger, stronger, and more solid under a cruiser, GX is just a prado/4runner underneath. Frame is ridiculously bigger, thicker, and more crossmember than my buddy GX. Nothing wrong with that, but when you put bumpers, skids, sliders, rack, RTT, awnings, 4 people, a duffle bag for each person, water, fuel, food... it's good to have a platform that is significantly over built under you.

All that aside, both good platforms, and will give you years of reliable service. I've wheeled 3 different toyota 4x4s over 15 years on more rock crawling trails than overloading, and never had a failure, of any kind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier