Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    After a year of somnescence, the EarthCruiser web site has some new material. The What's New section has the one page November newsletter, and links to three newspaper articles about EarthCruiser models. Photos of the new UTE and long wheelbase variants are included. All news items are downloaded in PDF format. http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/news.php

It reads like he is saying he invented all this stuff, but they were doing euro springs onto jap trucks for Melkshams back in the late 80's.....
    Reasonable product, but not the best of the best of the best......
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Did'nt someone else build the first one and then they copied it?
    I'm not sure?

Here's my understanding of the origin and current status of EarthCruiser.

The original EarthCruiser was designed by Australian Kym Bolton. He wanted a vehicle capable of traveling through rough country, and also capable of providing enough comfort and amenities to make an extended trip enjoyable for two people. With trips to other parts of the world on his mind, Bolton needed the camper to fit into a shipping container.

Bolton hired All Terrain Warriors to build the vehicle. ATW contributed lots of ideas and experience to the project. The final product really was the work of both parties.

In 2007, Kym Bolton and his wife, Lyn, drove the original EarthCruiser across Russia and Mongolia to Europe, a total of 25,000 kms and more than 100 days on the road. Later they drove the vehicle from England south to Morocco and back. Read about these trips here: http://www.blog.goannatracks.com/ See the links on the right side of the page to the Russia and Morocco trips.

After these "test drives," Bolton formed a company with Lance Gillies to sell EarthCruisers. The design was modified based on experience gained in more than 125 days of camping and driving.

At the same time, ATW started advertising their plan to sell a replica of the vehicle they built for the Boltons. After some discussion, the two sides came to a gentlemen's agreement. Each company modified the original design and now sell their own versions.

The result is two very capable expedition vehicles
    the EarthCruiser http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/
    and the ATW Scout http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au...d=19&Itemid=25

Bolton wanted to do more traveling, so he sold his stake in EarthCruiser to his partner Gillies in 2010. Using a version of the updated EarthCruiser, Bolton and his wife recently drove through southeast Asia, China, Mongolia and eastern Russia, another epic journey of 4 months and 22,000 kms. The couple then shipped their vehicle to USA, where they just completed a month's meandering through the Southwest states.

Lance Gillies has expanded the EarthCruiser line with three new models:
    -- a version with a Ute tray (flatbed) so people can mount their own camper.
    -- a version designed for countries with left hand drive (Australian vehicles use right hand drive, so the original EarthCruisers are designed to exit from the camper on the left)
    -- a version that uses the long wheelbase Fuso FG

Hopefully, we'll see a left hand drive, long wheelbase EarthCruiser on a USA version of the Fuso FG sometime in the future.

Chip Haven

I see there is some new info on the Earth Cruiser site today. http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/news.php

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. The news includes a photo of an Earth Cruiser UTE on a double cab chassis,

There are illustrations of floorplan options for short and long wheelbase models, and a PDF file with photos of the interior.

Also new is a second tire option: the Toyo Open Country M/T in size 315/75 R 16. This is a 35 inch tall tire with load rating of 127Q, meaning a max load of 3858 lbs per tire and top speed of 99 mph. The tire is pictured above.

The original Earth Cruiser used a Michelin XZL 255/100 R 16 tire with load rating of 126K. Translated, that means a maximum load of 3748 lbs per tire, and a top speed of 68 mph. The XZL stands 36 inches tall. [Edit: I also found a "unique point" load rating of 134K at about 75 psi on a Michelin web site.]

The XZL tire is a specialty tire, used most frequently on military vehicles and Unimog-style utility vehicles. The Toyo is likely to be cheaper, and easier to find. The Toyo would also a good choice if you're planning to cruise on the freeway for hours at 65 mph.

Here's a look at the difference in length and angles of the Earth Cruiser built on short and long wheelbase Fuso FGs.

The dimensions:
    Overall Length SWB: 5650 mm / 222 in, 18.5 ft
    Overall Length LWB: 6250 mm / 246 in, 20.5 ft
    Approach Angle SWB: 45* LWB: 45*
    Departure Angle SWB: 40* LWB: 22*
    Breakover Angle SWB: 30* LWB 40*

Both vehicles are 2510 mm high and 2060 mm wide

Having the extra 20 inches of interior room and storage space would be great (and probably essential if you have more than one passenger). But the 20.5 ft overall length means you'll need a full size (40 ft) shipping container when you hop to a new continent.

It's nice to see that a gentleman's agreement was reach,I have spoken to Paul from Warriors and he is a bundle of Knowledge about anything expedition,you can tell what his passion is,and I also seen Earth cruiser 4 from the forum member Bandicoot and the quality of workmanship is absolutely superb,so there you have a two sucess stories....well done Guys
    cheers,Joe

All that arguing about about GVWR makes me glad I live in TX where I can go up to 11800 KG on a standard license...

Gets a little trickier if you are towing... for some reason if you have an 11700 KG GVWR truck and a 200KG gvwr trailer you need a commercial license...

But it is ok to tow a 15000 KG trailer behind a truck with a 4000 KG GVWR on a standard license...

I believe it is set up that way because F350s and GM and Dodge 2500s and 3500s (and 4500s and the sterlings ETC) have huge GCWR but relatively low payloads, and are extremely common.
    Last edited by p71; 01-26-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Hi All, new to this place and have a question re; the load spec on these tyres.
    All I can find on line and at my local tyre place, states the Toyo has a load rating of 121P, which is significantly less than the information below.
    Am I looking in the wrong place's or is it really rated at 127Q as below? Can anyone confirm this?
    thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    Thanks, Pete. The news includes a photo of an Earth Cruiser UTE on a double cab chassis,

Also new is a second tire option: the Toyo Open Country M/T in size 315/75 R 16. This is a 35 inch tall tire with load rating of 127Q, meaning a max load of 3858 lbs per tire and top speed of 99 mph. The tire is pictured above.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast