EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

John E Davies

Adventurer
Hi Mr EarthCruiser: Can you comment on design changes for USA customers?

What modifications for severe winter use have you made, or plan to offer? Will the camper be reasonably comfortable at say zero degrees F? Do you recommend sleeping with the roof down in those conditions?

Is it possible to add an air conditioner for use in developed campsites with an external power hookup, or with a portable generator? I am interested in an expedition vehicle, but I can't live without cooling in really hot conditions (90 degrees F +) - I just can't sleep while sweating bullets...

Will the roof and lift mechanism support low rails, a rack and long load like a touring kayak? I know it would partially eclipse the solar cells when in place.... that isn't a deal breaker for me. I can see a kayak carried far to one side - you would just have to position the EC so that the load didn't cast a shadow on the cells.

How will the new USA spec EC handle long, fast (65 mph) driving - like droning across the Western deserts? I'm used to big V8s and can't quite understand the driving dynamics of a teeny 3.0 turbo rated at 161 bhp and 295 ft lbs. How about really steep, high altitude passes like Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado (nearly 11,000 ft)? How will it climb, and how effective is the exhaust brake? Can you link to a driving review of an EarthCruiser that includes highway driving? So far everything seems to be focussed on offroad.

I know the new FUSO has !@#$%^&* EPA emissions and that will be a long term PITA, can anyone comment on any problems or weaknesses that folks need to be aware of with the Mitsu system? For example, cost and mileage to replace emissions parts like DPF or other emissions filters? DEF rate of usage? Will you offer a larger or aux DEF tank so folks don't have to transport jugs of DEF? Are there (illegal in USA) aftermarket tuners to get more power out of this engine? I've looked online and just can't find much of anything about this new engine. I guess landscapers keep their trucks stock ;(

Will there be a vehicle on display at Overland Expo in May 2012? I'm eager to crawl around one.

Finally, when will you have a USA website up and running, with images, tech details and pricing??

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

John E Davies

Adventurer
Bend Oregon is very nice this time of year.

Bend is really nice any time - it's a pretty, well maintained small city that boomed hard about 10 years ago. They used to have a huge tax base from all the expen$ive over-valued homes... but they were hit severely when the housing bubble broke. How are things there economically now, and did the city fathers offer EC a good incentive to locate the factory there? What is the location?

There is no shortage of off-roading around Bend. My only complaint about central Oregon is that the private ranches have locked gates and Posted signs - you have to head into the National Forests for trails, and they get snowed in pretty quickly in the Fall ;( McKenzie Pass is way cool in a lunar way - all raw lava flows: ... http://www.spokanister.net/images_web/Family_Web/Oregon_2005/Oregon-027.jpg.

It will be very cool to have EarthCruisers driving in and out of town.... I need to go back for a visit.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day John

Thanks for the list.

EC is ready for the cold; we have spent 12 months in the US learning what we need to do. Insulated curtain, heated water tanks, batteries and plumbing system is all standard on LHD EC`s. To sleep with the insulated roof down is a handy option for quiet over night stops and when it is real windy (Death Valley). A/C (not roof fitted) is an option for all EC`s as with external hook up.
No problem to put boat on the roof, tapping plates for mounts are there. Keep in mind the entire roof is more or less is used for the recessed solar panels.

Depending on final drive the new US spec FUSO can be good for 75 mph plus. I have driven a few (including their pre production unit) they go very well. Smaller engines are getting better and smarter. But why be in such a hurry, its the journey......... Can`t say if been to Colorado yet, give us time America is a big place.

No magic bullet to the EPA laws, there with us to stay in the US. No doubt we will (collectively) find a way to make the new clean air technology more user friendly for all of us. There is always the option of the pre 2008 models. We replace most of the interior all of the suspension etc new or used chassis any way. Yes we will be at EXPO with one maybe two EC`s.
http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/gallery/photo

Cheers

Lance

RogueTacoma

Welcome to Oregon Lance. I am just down in Medford and would love to come up and take a look around. Are you guys going to be putting down roots for a bit?

Cheers,
Rick Tillery

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day Rick
We are here to stay until further notice. Just come back from a quick ski on the mountain ( 20 minutes from our new home) .
How good is this place!

Great to catch up

Lance

RogueTacoma

That's good to hear. When you get a chance, a trip down to Crater Lake is a must. And I agree with JRhetts, I'd really like to take a drive up and see the facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94