EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

ShootingFish

I was saddened to see that EarthCruiser did not come to the Portland Sportsman Show this past weekend. I was really looking forward to getting to see and touch one finally.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I was saddened to see that EarthCruiser did not come to the Portland Sportsman Show this past weekend. I was really looking forward to getting to see and touch one finally.

Unfortunately we can't attend all shows, but you can always come to see us in Bend. Afterall its not too far from Portland and we have a lot of sport out here too.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
EarthCruiser has a new suspension package. It includes the following:
Front and Rear spring packs (no need to move rear shackle)
Bushings shackles and pins (grease-able)
Bilstein front and rear shocks
16 x 8 alloy wheels (5)
Single piece Wheel nuts

Get in touch for more information.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
EarthCruiser has a new suspension package. It includes the following:
Front and Rear spring packs (no need to move rear shackle)
Bushings shackles and pins (grease-able)
Bilstein front and rear shocks
16 x 8 alloy wheels (5)
Single piece Wheel nuts

Get in touch for more information.

How does your set up differ from the ATW?

GR8ADV

Explorer
How does your set up differ from the ATW?

Exactly. I asked this and other questions just yesterday. Michelle and Lance are great folks and I am looking fwd to more information.

Here is a link to a company that sells leaf spring suspension upgrades. http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/ORDCustomSprings.htm
Not for the FUSO of course, but a good example of proving information to the customer. They seem to know what they have created, how it works and what benefit their system can provide. (at least in their eyes, but isn't that the case with everyone).

As a customer who is doing a suspension upgrade this winter, I am hoping for some information of similar useful content prior to plunking down my cashola.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Ken,

Talks cheap, actions better. When you rode in that EarthCruiser last year what one word describes the suspension? That's the ride you'll get with the new package.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hey Ken,

Talks cheap, actions better. When you rode in that EarthCruiser last year what one word describes the suspension? That's the ride you'll get with the new package.

WOW, really? The we say so Expo company. :)
Yes talk is cheap, knowledge and information has great value. I am hoping you have some information other than anecdotal. Regarding the EC ride, well we drove on surface roads, and yes it road great. We got off on a bit of gravel on a pull out beside the road but it was flat. For the 50 feet we drove it on the gravel/dirt it was fine, well that was before the stick (not log) in the road and the transmission could not get over it, Lance pushed a few buttons, but finally just backed up and went around it.
I am fine with my fuso on the road, I am looking for an increase in offroad performance and am looking for actual information on how your suspension performs over stock (If that is too much to ask, please just let me know). Sorry I don't have the kind of money to throw around just because Michelle says its great. Well, you actually didn't say it is great, you say it is good, but not as good as the EC, whatever the heck that means.
I love you. I really do, and I am hoping you all can provide us all with some useful info. Regards, Ken

GR8ADV

Explorer
Michelle, maybe a picture could tell us all a thousand words. Now I know it will look NOTHING like this, but maybe a shot of a stock fuso, then one of the EC, then one with your new suspension doing something like this on a forklift. The KEY is that you lift it only til the cab begins to tilt and remains relatively level as per the pic. This would clearly show us some actual functionality of the suspension upgrade. Thanks

IMG_0297.jpg

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Exactly. I asked this and other questions just yesterday. Michelle and Lance are great folks and I am looking fwd to more information.

Here is a link to a company that sells leaf spring suspension upgrades. http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/ORDCustomSprings.htm
Not for the FUSO of course, but a good example of proving information to the customer. They seem to know what they have created, how it works and what benefit their system can provide. (at least in their eyes, but isn't that the case with everyone).

As a customer who is doing a suspension upgrade this winter, I am hoping for some information of similar useful content prior to plunking down my cashola.

Lots of companies sell, or build leaf suspensions. Heck, I've got one very good one locally, National Spring. In the past they've done terrific work on a Cummins powered Suburban that I have (which will be for sale soon...hey, blatant plug!).

The difference between a LSS that has only a few leaves versus a design that has multiple leaves is night and day. Or at least it was with the Subbins. From a bouncing hard edged ride to a much smoother, more compliant suspension. Yes, it cost more, but completely worth it.

The reason I asked my question is that, with the ATW being an Australian product - has that product been affected by the Aussie laws? We're not under the same constraints here, so can we get better, more compliant suspensions here in the U.S.A.? Also (and I haven't seen any discussion of this), is the ATW suspension designed to work across all the ATW designs they produce? One suspension for a bus, same for a mining truck, same for a Global Warrior?

I can tell you that, with the ATW suspension and 19.5 tires down to 50 or so, running a trip through the Mojave (sand, whoops, hidden rocks, rocky segments), the truck will bounce around enough to spit brake fluid out the top of the reservoir. Suspension seats will help with the driver and passenger, but the coach and rest of the vehicle will still get a beating. Of course, I'm also not carrying the design GVW for those springs, currently, so I'm probably just concerned about nothing.

So, as a start, (knowing the physical differences between different leaf spring suspensions), it would be helpful to have an accurate description of what's offered.

Since I'm months away from actually getting a coach done on the truck, maybe I'll drop a stainless steel water tank on the back (I've got one knocking around here), fill it, and add on a couple of tons for a more accurate feel.

Maninga

Adventurer
The reason I asked my question is that, with the ATW being an Australian product - has that product been affected by the Aussie laws? We're not under the same constraints here, so can we get better, more compliant suspensions here in the U.S.A.? Also (and I haven't seen any discussion of this), is the ATW suspension designed to work across all the ATW designs they produce? One suspension for a bus, same for a mining truck, same for a Global Warrior?

I can tell you that, with the ATW suspension and 19.5 tires down to 50 or so, running a trip through the Mojave (sand, whoops, hidden rocks, rocky segments), the truck will bounce around enough to spit brake fluid out the top of the reservoir. Suspension seats will help with the driver and passenger, but the coach and rest of the vehicle will still get a beating. Of course, I'm also not carrying the design GVW for those springs, currently, so I'm probably just concerned about nothing.

So, as a start, (knowing the physical differences between different leaf spring suspensions), it would be helpful to have an accurate description of what's offered.

Since I'm months away from actually getting a coach done on the truck, maybe I'll drop a stainless steel water tank on the back (I've got one knocking around here), fill it, and add on a couple of tons for a more accurate feel.

I've got the same ATW as you with only a little bit of weight on it. Mine's definitely been designed for the expected final weight, it's bouncy at the moment but once I get it to final weight I fully expect it to tone down. Putting the water tank on yours sounds like a good idea until the body has been made up.

I'd be curious how the suspension is set up different to ATW also.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
is the ATW suspension designed to work across all the ATW designs they produce? One suspension for a bus, same for a mining truck, same for a Global Warrior?

As far as I am aware, ATW offer different spring rate parabolic options; it's not a just a "one size fits all" solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles