EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Yes, pop-tops!
Another pic I found. Will look for a few more.
From the rear, the (white) hatches are the underbed external locker, the Thetford toilet casette (middle), and the access to the external shower (front).
The under-floor storage external lockers (in grey) from the rear is one of the two recovery lockers (the other is on the other side) and, at the front, the access to the two water and two fuel tank fillers.

EC articulating over rock or stump.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The photo Bandicoot shared is also the lead photo in an article
about EarthCruiser that appears in the September 2009 issue
of Gördülő Tonnák ("Rolling Tons"), a Hungarian magazine
devoted to medium and heavy trucks and buses.

EarthcruiserHungarianarticle.jpg

The title of the article means "Power to take on all obstacles," if
my Google translator is working!

Thanks to Lance Gillies of All Terrain Motorhomes, makers of the
EarthCruiser, for sharing a PDF of the Gördülő Tonnák article.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
The All Terrain Motorhomes web site just added a quick summary of the first expedition undertaken by the production EarthCruiser. It was a 5 week trip to the Cape York peninsula in northeast Australia.

Two Earthruisers took part in the 4500 km / 2750 mile journey, of which 1200 km / 750 miles were rough forest tracks. For those familiar with the area, the route included:
-- all of the Old Telegraph Track including Gunshot Creek;
-- the log bridge over Cannibal Creek;
-- the 1 meter deep Nolan's Brook;
-- the badly corrugated track to Vrilya Point including the old log bridge; and
-- the track out to Ussher Point, including the last tight 10Km of vine scrub.

During the 3300 km / 1000 mile highway section, the Fuso FG, loaded with the camper and a ATV on a trailer, averaged about 13 mpg (18L/100km).

The report is in the form of a Microsoft Word document that includes lots of photos of the EarthCruisers in action. The report can be downloaded here: http://www.allterrainmotorhomes.com/images/ATM 0908 Cape York.doc

Chip Haven

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
I think id be willing to stimulate the economy with a purchase if we could get these here in the US soon..:drool:

haven

Expedition Leader
Last Fall, Kym Bolton said the "export" version of the EarthCruiser won't be available until 2010. There is some talk about selling the camper separate from the truck chassis, which would allow you to mount it on the chassis of your choice.

Note that the current version of the EarthCruiser is designed to fit on the short wheelbase version of the Fuso FG. There's a chance it would also fit on the double cab long wheelbase FG.

xpdishn

Adventurer
:drool: This is just what I have been dreaming about. Not too big, not too small. Totally self sufficient and will go anywhere. :smiley_drive:

Unless I missed it, what IS the price of the production machine in Oz? Very, very nicely outfitted overlander.

BTW, very nice write-up Bandicoot.

Last edited:

nugget

Observer
My wife and I looked at it last week and it is very, very impressive. They have done an excellent job of design and having the modifications silver plated so that you don't have regional hassles with registration and insurance is a real plus.

The only weakness I thought was in the awning which would be fine in perfect condition but I doubt it would handle any wind at all and once the frame is bent, I suspect, the electric folding would become a problem. Other than that, it fits perfectly our camping with a bit of comfort but not compromising where we can, criteria extremely well.

Whilst we did not have the opportunity to drive it as they were pretty busy with lookers the day we went, I have little doubt about it capabilities, given Kyms 4wd background and experience.

Last edited:

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Had a short drive and a look over it a couple of weeks ago.
One concern I have is that the water tanks have no freeze protection. Lots of years since I camped in a car at Sawpit Creek carpark in skiing season, but even there, any external tank would likely freeze after a couple of days. Our experience in Europe (in a Hobby Class C motorhome built for the conditions) during the milder pre-Christmas parts of winter in southern Germany and France point to quite a few mods being necessary before it could be taken overseas with confidence. Obviously one could time any travel to miss the worst conditions but even in the middle of summer, we experienced below-zero weather in the higher parts of Norway so ...

I've let Kym know what my concerns are so if there are any customers serious about taking the vehicle for an extended trip overseas, I'm sure he will be able to make the necessary mods.

haven

Expedition Leader
I recently received an email update from Lance Gillies, co-owner of All Terrain Motorhomes. Lance said that the company plans to make four units in 2009 (all sold) , and only 10 units in 2010 (3 sold).

Based on information gathered during the five week evaluation trip in August, the camper's fiberglass molds were modified and assembly techniques reviewed. A summary of the trip is available in PDF form here
http://www.allterrainmotorhomes.com/images/ATM 0908 Cape York.pdf

Lance shared a 10 page report about the Earth Cruiser written by Rick Brake. Rick does a good job describing how the Earth Cruiser is to drive and to live in. The report includes many photos. Rick is now a customer, awaiting delivery in late 2009.

The PDF of Rick's report is available through the link below. When prompted, click on the "Free User" button to download the file.
http://rs641.rapidshare.com/files/280116143/Impressions_of_the_EarthCruiser__rev_3.pdf

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Recent email from Lance Gillies and Kym Bolton, the folks behind EarthCruiser, shared some company news.

First, EarthCruiser's production for 2010 is almost sold out. There are two slots remaining in the schedule.

Second, Fuso Australia will feature the EarthCruiser in the Winter 2009 edition of Smart Moves, the company quarterly magazine. Here's the cover of the magazine, which is still in press:

Earthcruiserfrontcover.jpg

I'll add a link to the article when it appears on the Fuso Australia web site.

Third, Kym Bolton described his plans for the second set of "field trials" for the production version of the EarthCruiser. Kym, his wife, Lyn and a group in 4 vehicles will drive north through Southeast Asia and western China to Russia. The four month journey will take Kym and Lyn through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, China, Tibet, Mongolia and eastern Russia to Vladivostok. Wow!

As you may recall, the first field trials consisted of a 4 week long trip to explore the Princess Charlotte Bay area of Australia's Cape York Peninsula. Read about that trip here http://www.goannatracks.com/2009/07/2009-cape-york-1-princess-charlotte-bay.html As a result of experiences gained on the trip, the new EarthCruisers are improved in several ways. Kym said he would share photos of the updated vehicles shortly.

Chip Haven

landy2010

Recent email from Lance Gillies and Kym Bolton, the folks behind EarthCruiser, shared some company news.

First, EarthCruiser's production for 2010 is almost sold out. There are two slots remaining in the schedule.

Second, Fuso Australia will feature the EarthCruiser in the Winter 2009 edition of Smart Moves, the company quarterly magazine. Here's the cover of the magazine, which is still in press:

Could someone dispel the gnawing doubt for me:

Dry weight: 4000kg
GVM: 4500kg
125 litres diesel = about 110kg
125 litres water = 125kg
This means kerb weight, ie. dry weight + fuel + water, but without driver and passenger = 4235kg

Which leaves the vehicle with the payload of just 265 kg before the GVM is reached.

Fitting the vehicle with an extra wheel carrier, wheel and tyre (~80kg ), bullbar (~100kg) and extra fuel tank (90 litres of fuel ~80kg, plus the weight of the tank) would take the vehicle over the GVM of 4500kg, making it illegal to drive on a car licence, and mandating the light rigid truck licence (LR) with all its added cost and embuggerance.

If I fitted just the extra fuel and water tanks of 90 litres each, that would take 180-190kg of the 265kg payload, and leave me with the vehicle payload of 75kg. The bad news is that I would then have to go on diet, and dramatically lose weight (about 40kg of it to be exact) in order to stay legal driving an Earth Cruiser on a car licence. The good news, I suppose, is that after losing 40kg body weight, I would still have to leave my dearly beloved wife at home, for impeccable legal reasons.

So, unfortunately, there goes my incentive to get an Earth Cruiser
:( Pity.

In the interest of fairness, the specs really should mention that only the base version without accessories or extra fuel/water on board can be legally driven on a car licence, and then preferably by slim people :)

I would be ****** off something rotten if I were to discover this aspect after outlaying $170k+ rather than before...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles