EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

yabanja

Explorer
Michelle,

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you from me and my wife for your fine hospitality at the expo! You and Lance are always so gracious about fielding my questions and letting me bounce ideas off of you despite the fact that I am not in the market for one of your vehicles. For the record, I feel your product is the best on the market and would have one in a heartbeat if finances allowed. Maybe someday!! Anyways, thanks again and take care!

Allan and Sakshi

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Michelle,

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you from me and my wife for your fine hospitality at the expo! You and Lance are always so gracious about fielding my questions and letting me bounce ideas off of you despite the fact that I am not in the market for one of your vehicles. For the record, I feel your product is the best on the market and would have one in a heartbeat if finances allowed. Maybe someday!! Anyways, thanks again and take care!

Allan and Sakshi

Thank you for your kind words. We're happy to help where we can.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Howard,

In an effort to revive this, I have enjoyed your post (below) and a great many other posts of yours expounding on your EC and the process you followed to make your decision. My wife and I are embarking on a similar task of deciding and planning our next (and likely last) vehicle.

I have learned a lot from your other posts around electrical and some of the other key considerations and usage models you guys are experiencing.

Obviously, you have confirmed that you picked the right vehicle -which must feel great given the financial leap of faith it implies. I'm wondering if, when looking back, there is anything that you would have done differently? For example:

Is there anything you placed a high premium on but in retrospect wasn't THAT important?
Is there something that you didn't consider and later realize "Man, we should have considered that more"?
Maybe you picked a certain feature/function and wish you hadn't?
Maybe you got lucky with something or some feature and realize you chose wisely by pure luck!

I went through a similar process several years ago when making choices with our Sportsmobile, and there were at least a handful of things that I can look back and say I nailed it, missed it or got lucky.

Obviously, I'm not looking for this to be a platform to air any dirty laundry with EC or other Manufacturers (not that you would do that) but rather so much of this personal choice and its very useful to get a "look back" from someone that has covered the same ground we are starting on.

Thanks in advance for any/all commentary.

I apologize for the dense text below - I can't seem to get blank lines between the paragraphs.

So, it's official. Our deposit check reached Bend, OR; copies of signed contracts are all the places they should be, we close on financing tomorrow, the build of our EarthCruiser should start this year and we ought to take delivery next spring. "We're excited" is an understatement.

It's taken us three years to decide on which vehicle was the best fit for us to replace our 2004 double cab 4x4 Tacoma. We've researched and/or looked at a plethora of great expedition platforms: Provan Tigers; Sportsmobile 4x4 Fords; All Terrain Warrior / Sportsmobile Global Warriors; XP Campers; Global Expedition Vehicles Fuso-based Pangeas; Earth Roamers; GoWesty Syncros; All Terrain, Four Wheel, and Phoenix Campers; all of these provide vehicle-based units that work well for a lot of different folks. We also considered many possible trailers - Teardrops by Adventure Trailers, South California Teardrops, Moby 1, Little Guy, and AspenX; pop ups, fold outs, and more conventional trailers by VMI Offroad, Livin Lite, Casita, and others. All of these platforms are the perfect solution for someone - they all have loyal followers and happy owners. We were pretty sure that any of them would have made us grin a lot. So we needed to settle on a platform that would make us grin the most!

While our decision followed a convoluted path, here's a basic summary of the final points. These justify our decision for us, but I wouldn't expect them to change anyone else's thoughts about what would be their perfect vehicle (in other words I'm not looking for an internet argument about what's best for someone else...).

1. We realized that we didn't want to build, or refit our own. We've done that - two years refitting, modifying and restoring an Olson 40 that we then sailed to Ecuador and used as a research sailboat in the Galapagos for 10 years was a great experience that we'd repeat - if we were 40 again! A year or two tweaking, modifying, and perfecting (at least to our thinking) our Tacoma has resulted in thousands of miles of trips in the western US that yielded wonderful experiences - but we've both realized we'd rather travel and climb than wrench and fabricate. So this time we wanted to pay some else to do better work than we would or could.

2. We wanted a vehicle-based platform rather than a trailer. We've used and enjoyed trailers (an M416, a Fleetwood Neon, and a couple of Alumas), but we like the agility of a single vehicle. Ironically the most frustrated we've been with trailers hasn't been in the back country on small tight two-tracks - it's been in cities in crowded strip mall parking lots (looking for that Expresso shop so we could keep driving and get to the east side of the Sierra Nevada, or the north rim of the Grand Canyon) and gas stops where somebody always cuts off that perfect escape route we'd planned through the narrow lanes, handicapped parking spots etc.

3. We wanted warmth in the winter. I love snow camping, snowshoeing, cooking in a tent vestibule, getting up in the middle of the night to unload the snowfall from the tent - Heidi not so much!

4. We wanted the space and efficiency that a chassis mounted "house" provides over a slide-in camper design.

5. We prefer a cabover configuration for the base vehicle. We like the short cab / tremendous windshield with vast views that it offers. We like being able to see the track immediately in front of the vehicle as we drive in poor terrain, and we like the increased leg room and space that the Fuso cabover provides compared to American vans. Diesel 4x4 trucks by the Big Three aren't what we're after. If they were still the relatively svelte and high clearance trucks of the 90's and early 2000's we might feel differently, but the current designs provide too much hood between the cab and the trail for us.

6. We wanted a factory 4x4 system for the base truck rather than a conversion. Again - that's just us!

7. Efficiency and agility are more important to us than power. So a 3 liter turbo charged diesel mated to a 6 speed automatic clutch transmission is attractive. We've had a WRX that could tow it's Aluma trailer up any interstate grade at 80 - 90 mph. That's out of our systems now and the peaceful trundling of our old 2 liter Westfalia camper van brings back just as pleasant memories as passing everything in sight in the WRX. Again - that's just us. So now we're down to four possibilities (that I know of) available in the US which are based on the Fuso Canter 4x4.

8. We wanted to be able to use the cab of the truck as part of the living space of the house. Thus we wanted a large opening connecting the house and the cab. Passing between the cab and the house isn't a serious requirement for us, but if Heidi's relaxing in the cab while she edits photos and I'm doing GIS work in the house and she wants a cup of hot chocolate it makes my job easier if I don't have to go outside to fulfill my role as a waiter.

9. We wanted a pop up house. We like remote areas with little travelled roads and a house that extends beyond the top and/or sides of the cab just requires too much trimming of branches, worrying about the overhangs on the uphill side of shelf roads, etc. for us. We like the idea that the vehicle might fit into a container so that we could travel to some exotic place. I doubt that we'll do that, but if it can fit in a container it can fit down an overgrown track better as well.

10. There's only two of us and a dog. We don't need space for more folks. In fact we don't want space for more folks thank you very much.....

11. We wanted a well constructed, cored composite house, built as a complete single unit. Our Olson 40 kept the ocean away from us through storms, waves bigger than I like to remember, and gentle encounters with the seafloor with 1/2" of end-cut balsa sandwiched between an inner and an outer layer of 1/8" fiberglass - a total hull thickness of 3/4". We know how light and strong well-done cored composites can be.

12. While we wanted a pop up house, we wanted one that could be comfortably used with the top down. We wanted windows that we could look out from the main berth with the top down or up. It's a little thing, but we're getting to the point that we can actually calculate how many more sunrises we might see in the backcountry and we don't want to miss any of them!

13. We prefer a rectangular profile. This is definitely a personal thing and a lot of folks will be happier with a partial trapezoid or other shape and that's great for them!

14. We like a design where the lowest portions of the house (usually storage lockers alongside the truck frame) are independently removable / repairable from the main composite body. Those areas seem vulnerable to us and keeping them independent of the fiberglass portions is an attractive feature.

In addition to those more-or-less objective criteria there's the subjective stuff. We visited the EarthCruiser USA outfit in Bend. We immediately enjoyed working with Lance and Michelle while we explored an EarthCruiser and talked about design ideas and the myriad of trade-offs involved in making a compact unit efficient and adaptable. After we left we began several months of email correspondence to fine tune the truck to our needs. The whole process has been pleasant and enjoyable.

I'm sure someone will ask "What's it going to cost?" I honestly can't answer that as there are still a lot of final components and ideas that we haven't priced and everyone's design would be different. I will say that on a dollar per pound basis our EarthCruiser will be vastly cheaper than my Cervelo P3 time trial bike that wouldn't go over 34 miles an hour unless there was a tailwind or a downhill! On the same dollar per pound basis the EC will be in the same ball park as the Olson 40 which certainly seems fair to me. Seriously - if you're curious about the prices of any of the great expedition rigs now available in the US - contact the folks that build them and get accurate current figures.

We can't wait!

Howard Snell

Howard70

Adventurer
Howard,

In an effort to revive this, I have enjoyed your post (below) and a great many other posts of yours expounding on your EC and the process you followed to make your decision. My wife and I are embarking on a similar task of deciding and planning our next (and likely last) vehicle.

I have learned a lot from your other posts around electrical and some of the other key considerations and usage models you guys are experiencing.

Obviously, you have confirmed that you picked the right vehicle -which must feel great given the financial leap of faith it implies. I'm wondering if, when looking back, there is anything that you would have done differently? For example:

Is there anything you placed a high premium on but in retrospect wasn't THAT important?
Is there something that you didn't consider and later realize "Man, we should have considered that more"?
Maybe you picked a certain feature/function and wish you hadn't?
Maybe you got lucky with something or some feature and realize you chose wisely by pure luck!

I went through a similar process several years ago when making choices with our Sportsmobile, and there were at least a handful of things that I can look back and say I nailed it, missed it or got lucky.

Obviously, I'm not looking for this to be a platform to air any dirty laundry with EC or other Manufacturers (not that you would do that) but rather so much of this personal choice and its very useful to get a "look back" from someone that has covered the same ground we are starting on.

Thanks in advance for any/all commentary.

Hello Waveslider:

It's good to hear from you. We've had our EarthCruiser, Prima Terra, for just over a year and she's now been to two Overland Expo's (that must be some sign of maturity). We're happy with her and would make the same purchase again. Here are some thoughts related to your queries:

1. Anything we thought was really important, but in retrospect hasn't been as big an issue as we thought?

A couple of things - We wanted Thule rails on the top so that we could mount carriers for various toys (specifically kayaks, etc.). The EC team did a great job of placing rails right where we wanted them and we haven't used them once and I doubt that we will. We find ourselves drawn to remote areas wandering down two-tracks to isolated camping situations and the clearance under trees just wouldn't work with kayaks up there. We switched to an inflatable kayak (Advanced Elements Air Fusion) and a packraft (Alpacka Rafts Denali Llama). Those two boats are taking us more remote places than our fiberglass Wilderness Systems ever did.

When we were looking at back country trucks, we kept thinking that we wanted a truck that would be a good base for all of the tools that we were used to using to enjoy wild areas. Since owning Prima Terra we've realized that the platform is so novel that we're taking advantage of different tools. The packraft is a good example. Using Prima Terra as a base for 5 days cross country / canyoneering in the western Grand Canyon I realized I wanted to incorporate the Colorado in that sort of a trip so I needed a boat that I could backpack and would fit in the EC - that lead to the Denali Llama which has lead to a planned self supported trip this coming December where we'll run 145 miles of the river from Lee's Ferry to Kanab Creek and then backpack 40 miles up Kanab Creek and Hack Canyon with the boats to exit the trip. Figuring out truly portable boat that would fit in the EC opened up a type of trip I hadn't thought of before.

Another thing we thought was really important was fuel efficiency. I was convinced I wanted something that would regularly get 16 to 18 mpg. I think in the back of my mind I realized that what I really wanted was range, but I kept thinking of it as mpg. Since owning Prima Terra we've seen 18 mpg and we've seen 9 mpg. I would guess our overall average is somewhere between 14 and 15 mpg, but actually it hasn't mattered to us at all. We have never cut a trip short or failed to reach a series of sites due to lack of fuel. I think our longest stretch between fills has probably been somewhere between 800 and 900 miles (I have the data somewhere!), but that was mostly motivated by not wanting to fill in Bridgeport or Lee Vining, CA. If you've purchase fuel in either of those towns you know what I mean! Our 33 gallon main tank and 40+ gallon auxiliary tank provide about 68 - 70 gallons of useful fuel (we never want to run them completely dry and you lose some capacity in any tank because you need to leave some room for thermal expansion). For me it is possibly an error to figure on getting range primarily via increased efficiency rather than increased capacity. Efficiency changes with altitude, fuel quality, load, how much climbing is in your route, etc. For us, we're really happy that we gained as much fuel capacity as we could get.

Another thing we thought we would want, but didn't get was air-conditioning (house AC - we have cab AC and definitely need that). Our primary reason for foregoing AC was space and form. We didn't want a unit on the roof or the rear (clearance and dust) and we didn't want to give up interior space for a split unit (EC has a really slick unit available that takes up little interior space for the heat exchanger while the compressor goes under the truck between the frame rails). So far we've only had one night when we would have slept a lot better with AC (out of 110 nights so far) and that was in Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park in August (what were we thinking...). We're happy that we didn't get AC, but we can always add it if we decide to.

We were also moderately concerned about the possibility that keeping the house warm with the upper fabric panels would be difficult. We asked EC about an additional layer for greater insulation and they told us they'd retrofit one if we actually needed it, but encouraged us to try the truck with the normal configuration first. Great advice! The diesel-fired Webasto heating system heats the house wonderfully and uses so little fuel that while the fabric doesn't hold heat as well as the foam cored floor, walls and top, it simply doesn't matter to us. We may use more diesel for heating than a fully insulated box house, but we're still using only a few liters on the coldest nights (17 F so far).

We were nervous that the small engine in the current generation of Fuso FG's wouldn't let us fly down the interstate at 75+, but we decided that the other advantages were more important. While we were correct that 75+ isn't a comfortable speed for long distances, it hasn't mattered at all. We find we avoid interstates for two lane state or county highways if can't find an off-pavement route. Thus our customary 55 - 65 is just fine. We can do 70, but rarely find it desirable.

I think that's everything that we thought was more important than it turned out to be, but I'm probably overlooking something.

2. What did we decide wasn't important and now regret? It's probably due to our excessive hand-wringing and worrying about every detail, but there isn't anything that we wished we had done that we left out. I'll admit that if there was an easy way to carry a third passenger (aside from our 80 pound dog), there are a couple of times we could have made a trip without an extra vehicle, but we'd still get the two-person platform if we were buying again. That's the only thing I can think of.

3. How about the stuff we thought was important that has turned out to be more essential than we anticipated? Lots of stuff here!

Solar - we can't have too much solar! House battery capacity - we can't have too big a house bank! We have 420 watts of solar and 540 amp hours house bank and 200 ah truck bank. So far we've never plugged Prima Terra into shore power and we've never used the main engine to charge to house bank. Solar has accounted for all refrigeration, all lights, all water pumping, all electronics, all rechargeable batteries, etc. However, we haven't spent more than a week in overcast or rainy conditions and that might be where a larger solar bank could be handy. If you cut 420 watts down to 42 watts when clouds & rain only allow 10% of normal, or you have really short daylight periods, then our 420 might not be enough. Personally I wouldn't spec a system with less that 400 watts solar for our type of use.

Windows! One of the things that drew us to the Earth Cruiser platform was the windows available in the fabric section and the two long windows at the head and foot of the bed. One of the first things we do when we get to a remote site is open all the windows (I mean open the zippered covers so the clear vinyl makes a window you can look out of). It's like being outside and since that's were we'd rather be, it's perfect. The long windows at the foot and head of the bed are probably our favorite feature of the EC. Hot night? Open those two windows and you immediately have a breeze wafting across your bed that cools well. Wonder what the sunrise looks like? Turn your head on the pillow and look out at the Grand Canyon, The Wind Rivers, the Chama, saguaros, browsing deer, etc.

Driving comfort. We find that we spend a lot of time meandering around. The cabover configuration provides unsurpassed views as you drive and comfortable upright seating helps us enjoy that.

I just asked Heidi if she could think of anything else. She mentioned that it's very important to her how comfortable she feels in Prima Terra when I'm not with her. On several occasions I've taken off for a week of backpacking or mountaineering while she decided meander about photographing wild horses or hunting down petroglyph sites. She's perfectly happy to drive the truck on her own, finds it easy to operate in 4x4, easy to fuel, she can change one of the tires by herself (although she might not get the lug nuts torqued up completely - she'd just re-tighten them until she found somebody with a longer bar or bigger biceps), and she likes the warm cabin when it's could outside!

Sorry this got a bit long. Let me know if there is anything else we can help with. I guess the final advice is figure out what is most important to you and then work to get the best platform you can for that, but don't let your life get away before you get out there (I suspect you already know that since you've been in a Sportsmobile already).

Howard

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Howard,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. If memory serves, you "upgraded" from a SMB van also so your insight is especially helpful.

Your comments confirm some of our suspicions and give us other things to consider that we might not have thought about.

Have you had to do any repairs or needed to get the Fuso looked at anywhere along your travels? Just wondering how you (or others) are finding the serviceability to be here in the US. Surely you've had to take it in for an oil change or something while you've been out?

Hills. I'm concerned about hills. And I don't mean the one's in 4WD in Anza Borrego or Death Valley. I mean blacktop hills like the Grapevine, Climbing up the 15 into Vegas, the long 7% grades here in Idaho. I am concerned that I will be plugging up these hills at 35 mph and that will be an issue. Much less if we are towing a drift boat, or atv headed for elk camp. Is it that bad? Weight is something we are planning to pay close attention to between the various options and platforms.

Weight brings me to another question - you mention the additional fuel tank. That's also an additional 300 lbs on top of all the water tanks, standard battery banks, etc. The mountain climber in me won't let me not consider the weight factor and I'm wondering if you've considered it or confirmed that it simply doesn't matter. I suspect its the latter since I see the Aussies carrying all manner of stuff and heavy items on their back-country adventures in similar vehicles.

The awning. Ah the beloved awning. When we purchased our SMB we opted to NOT get the awning. The attachment brackets and design (at the time) was suspect, the awning stuck out from the sides creating a limb catcher, etc. And frankly we haven't missed it. However, since our use case is different for our next next vehicle, we are wondering how critical it is and what has been your experience. Obviously the manufacturers employ a variety of styles, mechanisms, etc. just wondering how you have found them. (I can't remember if you had one on your SMB) Since we don't have one today, its tough for us to judge the usefulness. If they are as cumbersome to use as I've found others, I have a good idea of how I will handle it. :D

PM sent and thanks again for your comments and insight. Always love to hear where you are and what you're doing.

yabanja

Explorer
Our Fuso camper-not an earth cruiser-much older and slower than Howard's will pull 50 on most hills and is generally faster than the semi-trucks. I have always felt safe climbing hills in traffic.

Howard! Thank you for your detailed response. Always a pleasure to get your insight, although it just makes me want an EC more!

Allan

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Good comparison. Do you have a sense for the comparative weight of your rig vs. a "typical" EC? Do you even consider it as a key factor? The reason for the fixation on relative road-worthiness is that while I would bet that Australian adventures consist of 20% pavement and 80% off-road.....the majority of our adventures will be the opposite. 80% pavement, 20% off-road. So unlike some I would be willing to make some trade offs for a more road-worthy vessel in exchange for off-road capability.

Keyne

Adventurer
Howard,

Thanks for the great detailed reply. I have learned a lot from your posts; thank you very much for sharing your experience. As we consider different options (XP Camper, SMB Sprinter, ATW Fuso, EC Fuso) I keep wondering about storage space and it's uses. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on stowage for two people and the toys. For instance, where you store your clothes, food, as well as spares, tables, chairs, BBQ?, collapsed kayak, etc. For instance, I believe the Earthcruisers don't have under bed storage like the ATW Fuso and I wonder if that has been an issue for you two? I am used to sailboats so I know everything is a compromise but I am very interested in hearing how the storage compromises have worked for you.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hills. I'm concerned about hills. And I don't mean the one's in 4WD in Anza Borrego or Death Valley. I mean blacktop hills like the Grapevine, Climbing up the 15 into Vegas, the long 7% grades here in Idaho. I am concerned that I will be plugging up these hills at 35 mph and that will be an issue.

It seems this is one area the 'new' Fusos shine over the older ones.
I have a 2002 and 6% highway grades are almost always in the 40 mph range. I'm happy if I can stay in 4th gear as the downshift to 3rd is a huge jump in RPM. So pulling the hill in 4th at 39 mph seems much better the pulling it in 3rd at 37 mph.
That said, in the overall scheme of travel that does not really make a difference in travel time. Since I normally travel at 55 mph, the times I am on hills like that is not a huge difference. I commonly do a 280 mile trip with 8 grades that are 6%. Overall the slow hill speed adds less then 10 minutes to the trip (15-20 mph slower on the hills), so no significance difference. Traveling alone, it is not a big deal, but when in convoy with an American truck(s), I feel bad holding up the group. Towing (in my case a Myers Manx, so a light 1500 lbs) that adds a down to 3rd gear for sure on the hills.
The new Fusos sure fly compared to the older ones. And even the 2006+ Fusos have an added 75 lb-ft of torque, which I'm sure is a big help.
Overall, I'm very happy with my Fuso's performance. Traveling a 55 mph is relaxing (I am 'the traffic', not trying to pass 'the traffic'), and I can live with the hill speed as the semis seem to put the hills at the same or slower speeds, so other vehicles are aware of 'slower' trucks

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Thanks for the comparison MOG. We are looking forward to experiencing one to get a first hand understanding so the relative comparisons and model years are helpful for expectation level setting. Given your screenname, and since we are looking into all platform vehicle options; do you care to opine on the Unimog as it compares to a Fuso/EC? I'm assuming slower, less agile, more grunt/less whine. ?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I just want to weigh in (literally). The last EarthCruiser EXP we delivered came in at 10,520 lbs unladen. The EarthCruiser FX demo we took to Expo came in at 10,380 lbs with full water, gear and two people (but not full of fuel). GVWR on the Fusos is 14,050. We don't see many customers who have even come close to that number.
Its also good to remember that storage differs between the EarthCruiser EXP and the FX. The FX being hard-sided and full height has under mattress storage in addition to the standard underbed storage drawers. Both now have additional cabinet storage options.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thanks for the comparison MOG. We are looking forward to experiencing one to get a first hand understanding so the relative comparisons and model years are helpful for expectation level setting. Given your screenname, and since we are looking into all platform vehicle options; do you care to opine on the Unimog as it compares to a Fuso/EC? I'm assuming slower, less agile, more grunt/less whine. ?

My humble opinion (there are many with much more knowledgeable then me). If I was going to travel 80%+ on road, the Fuso, or 80%+ off-road a Unimog.
The Fuso is much simpler with no portal axles and a big factor for me is the Fuso's size and weight. It still seems that is is in the range of a 'normal' full size truck (Ford, Dodge, Chevy).

My comparison would be with an obtainable Unimog like a U1300. The older 404s are crazy slow, loud, getting very long in the tooth, etc, and the uber-cool U500s are way too many $$$$ for me in both purchase price and maintenance.

My Fuso fits my plans so I am biased. I wanted something the size of my F250 (I've driven Full size Fords for the last 30 years, so that is a size I am very comfortable with) with more room. With the Fuso I have a 14 foot bed (camper), compared to the Ford's 8 foot bed and I am still 2 feet shorter overall with the Fuso then the Ford (cabovers rule). I want a truck the can travel comfortably on the highways and byways (I normally follow the speed limit, so 60-70mph in the Ford, therfore I am not taking a huge hit in the Fuso). Handle snow, rain, etc on surfaced roads, and go on un-improved roads, dirts, gravel, fireroads, etc. I have no desire to take my 'house' off-road, regards of the truck it is built on. So the Fuso is right up to that task also. If I 'need' to go off-road to explore, etc that is why I carry TW200s. If they breakdown or get stuck (unlikely), it is not my 'house' in peril.

As always YMMV

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the data. Always helpful. For the record, my weight concerns are not driven from a GVWR perspective, since as you mentioned you would have load up quite a lot to reach it, but rather a performance/weight trade off perspective. Based on the data and inferred comments, its likely a nit (unless you were towing something truly sizable which we will not) .

Mog,

Your comments line up with everything I can garner and even the U500s seem much less agile and much more lumbering than we would care for regardless of how non-hurried we become in retirement. Ha

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It seems this is one area the 'new' Fusos shine over the older ones.
I have a 2002 and 6% highway grades are almost always in the 40 mph range. I'm happy if I can stay in 4th gear as the downshift to 3rd is a huge jump in RPM. So pulling the hill in 4th at 39 mph seems much better the pulling it in 3rd at 37 mph.
That said, in the overall scheme of travel that does not really make a difference in travel time. Since I normally travel at 55 mph, the times I am on hills like that is not a huge difference. I commonly do a 280 mile trip with 8 grades that are 6%. Overall the slow hill speed adds less then 10 minutes to the trip (15-20 mph slower on the hills), so no significance difference. Traveling alone, it is not a big deal, but when in convoy with an American truck(s), I feel bad holding up the group. Towing (in my case a Myers Manx, so a light 1500 lbs) that adds a down to 3rd gear for sure on the hills.
The new Fusos sure fly compared to the older ones. And even the 2006+ Fusos have an added 75 lb-ft of torque, which I'm sure is a big help.
Overall, I'm very happy with my Fuso's performance. Traveling a 55 mph is relaxing (I am 'the traffic', not trying to pass 'the traffic'), and I can live with the hill speed as the semis seem to put the hills at the same or slower speeds, so other vehicles are aware of 'slower' trucks

And then factor in that your older FG is much more capable off road than our newer FG's....just to throw another fly into the ointment.

Everything's a compromise.

When are you converting that MAZ TEL to a weekend hideaway, mog?
MAZ-TOPOL-M-8-axle-TEL.jpg

Howard70

Adventurer
If memory serves, you "upgraded" from a SMB van also so your insight is especially helpful.

I probably misspoke in an earlier post - we haven't owned a Sportsmobile. Prior to Prima Terra we were in a 2004 double cab Tacoma & either tents, a Magiolina, or a Fleetwood Neon. This has been a big step in comfort & extended trip capability.
Your comments confirm some of our suspicions and give us other things to consider that we might not have thought about.

Have you had to do any repairs or needed to get the Fuso looked at anywhere along your travels? Just wondering how you (or others) are finding the serviceability to be here in the US. Surely you've had to take it in for an oil change or something while you've been out?

So far our experience and what we've heard from others is that the service network is extremely variable. Some Fuso approved service centers seem capable, while others can be pretty frustrating. Our strategy has been to research what we think needs attention via a pdf of the workshop manual and then see if the service folks seem familiar with the systems. I think many of the service centers are general truck shops that are not really experienced with the smaller platforms like the Fuso FG's. However, we have had great response from contacting the actual Fuso representatives for various regions and encouraging them to advise the particular service center in question. I think the situation will get better with time, but there are some pretty frustrated encounters that have occurred. I do think that rushing the service center or demanding that they ought to have answers that they lack, while understandable, doesn't help the situation.

We had some sensor issues within the first thousand miles that caused some problems with the DEF system and put us in limp mode. Part of that was our fault because we ignored engine warning lights until we'd used up all the "pre limp mode" mileage! However, since having those sorted out we've not had any problems. Certain conditions of humidity/temperature (or rapid changes in those conditions) seem to confuse the emissions system into thinking it has malfunctioned. We're now familiar with a means of checking some of the diagnostic codes via some of the instrument panel controls (explained in the shop manual). If we get a check engine light we look at the codes and decide whether to carry on or wait to see if they clear. So far (16,000 miles since the first 1,000 mentioned above) they have always reset themselves. It is my impression that there is a large difference in the emissions sensors and software between the 2014 and 2014.5 and later models. I think the emissions stuff is getting sorted out better on the newer ones before folks take delivery. Most of the frustrating accounts I'm familiar with have come from 2012 through 2014 versions. While I think Fuso is committed to setting those earlier trucks right, it is still frustrating to encounter the problems.

We've had two oil changes done at service centers and done two ourselves. I'm been happier with the ones I did. One problem is most of the mechanics don't seem able to accept that a 14,000 GVW truck takes only 6 liters of oil! They typically over fill. Again, I've learned to talk to them with the owner's manual in hand rather than assuming that they are intimately familiar with the truck's requirements. Actually that's been my experience with most vehicles I've owned!

Hills. I'm concerned about hills. And I don't mean the one's in 4WD in Anza Borrego or Death Valley. I mean blacktop hills like the Grapevine, Climbing up the 15 into Vegas, the long 7% grades here in Idaho. I am concerned that I will be plugging up these hills at 35 mph and that will be an issue. Much less if we are towing a drift boat, or atv headed for elk camp. Is it that bad? Weight is something we are planning to pay close attention to between the various options and platforms.

We climb almost all Interstate grades in 6th at 50+. Sometimes that will drop to 5th on really steep Interstates which then go at 45. We haven't found the climbing to be an issue, but we haven't towed. Somewhere in earlier posts, I provided complex performance curve that shows what speeds you can expect in what gears at what grades. We've found those estimates to be pretty accurate. We use various combinations of manual/automatic/ecomode to get the best efficiency and smooth climbing out of the truck. it's my impression that she is climbing better as she gains miles, but that may be that I'm learning to drive her better. She is not a "put it in drive, engage the cruise control, and go well" truck. On the other hand the idea that we move our 2nd home with 400ccs less displacement and roughly comparable efficiency than our 2004 Tacoma boggles my mind!

Weight brings me to another question - you mention the additional fuel tank. That's also an additional 300 lbs on top of all the water tanks, standard battery banks, etc. The mountain climber in me won't let me not consider the weight factor and I'm wondering if you've considered it or confirmed that it simply doesn't matter. I suspect its the latter since I see the Aussies carrying all manner of stuff and heavy items on their back-country adventures in similar vehicles.

You're absolutely correct. Mass matters. However, that auxiliary tank only weighs 300 lbs if you choose to fill it. We don't carry excess water, fuel, or other gear unless we think there is a chance we'll need it. Our EC seems to weigh about 10,400 bone dry (with two spares), about 11,700 with a reasonable load of fuel, water, dog, crew, food and gear. Completely loaded with a month's supplies, all water and fuel tanks full, etc. she's at 12,700. Where we notice mass is climbing in highway situations - she'll not move up as nimbly fully loaded. We don't notice a difference wandering the back country, although I suspect we'd feel it in a mud bog, soft dune sands, etc.
The awning. Ah the beloved awning. When we purchased our SMB we opted to NOT get the awning. The attachment brackets and design (at the time) was suspect, the awning stuck out from the sides creating a limb catcher, etc. And frankly we haven't missed it. However, since our use case is different for our next next vehicle, we are wondering how critical it is and what has been your experience. Obviously the manufacturers employ a variety of styles, mechanisms, etc. just wondering how you have found them. (I can't remember if you had one on your SMB) Since we don't have one today, its tough for us to judge the usefulness. If they are as cumbersome to use as I've found others, I have a good idea of how I will handle it. :D

We have an awning on Prima Terra and we find it extremely useful. EarthCruiser awnings are completely recessed and provide no wind resistance or obstructions to dragging vegetation. They deploy and furl at the press of a button. If there is any drizzle our rain, we'll extend the awning enough to cover the steps and that provides a comfortable porch over the door. We use two sand mats (http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/products/sand-free-mats/sand-free-mat.html) to reduce dust and dirt under the extended awning and those provide a great place to sort gear, etc.

DSC_4411_Sorting_Gear-L.jpg

PM sent and thanks again for your comments and insight. Always love to hear where you are and what you're doing.

I'm not sure how the comments within your message appear above? Hopefully they're distinct!

Best Wishes,

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz