EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Those FX videos are neat, although i'm not sure about the solar one below them... mounting a flexible panel solar like that decreases the electrical output by ~15% and will increase the interior temperature dramatically!

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Those FX videos are neat, although i'm not sure about the solar one below them... mounting a flexible panel solar like that decreases the electrical output by ~15% and will increase the interior temperature dramatically!

We've always used panels like these as they're used on racing sailboats. They can be walked on, scraped by branches, work when covered in dust, salt etc, work when one part of the panel has been damaged and are very efficient. We haven't noticed any temperature issues as we have a two piece roof and are very well insulated, ie., we stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. In all, our experience with these panels has been very good.

adam88

Explorer
Those youtube videos are good (audio could use some work) and I am glad earthcruiser is on here with lots of info. It's a step forward. But I will say, I am disappointed that it's been years and earthcruiser still doesn't have a proper site for the US vehicles with any information. In this respect, you guys are way behind. I would like to see a website, and I would especially like to see a PDF with prices/options. Everyone else does it (Four Wheel Camper, Earthroamer, XP Camper, etc.). They all list prices publicly with options prices. If this info is available then my apologies but I cannot find it. The earthcruiser.com site seems way out of date too and not really having any relevant info on the US vehicles.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
We haven't noticed any temperature issues as we have a two piece roof and are very well insulated, ie., we stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Interesting, how much insulation is up there? We only have a 35mm high density polyurethane roof and one day I left a packet of black cable ties up there in the sun...

FLIR0100 1.jpg

A few hours later our thermal camera had no problem spotting the offending cable ties from inside the truck!

An air gap under the panels will improve the panel output and help keep the interior cooler... but then you lose the ability to walk on them and open up the opportunity to catch on branches. As always everything is a compromise with these trucks! :smiley_drive:

adam88

Explorer
Interesting, how much insulation is up there? We only have a 35mm high density polyurethane roof and one day I left a packet of black cable ties up there in the sun...

View attachment 295694

A few hours later our thermal camera had no problem spotting the offending cable ties from inside the truck!

An air gap under the panels will improve the panel output and help keep the interior cooler... but then you lose the ability to walk on them and open up the opportunity to catch on branches. As always everything is a compromise with these trucks! :smiley_drive:

An air gap does make a tremendous difference, particularly in very hot weather. Some people are glueing the solar panels to thin sheets of aluminum and then bolting those onto their roofs and leaving a small 1/2" gap. The overall height of the panels is still only 3/4" and the air gap basically eliminates all the heat transfer to the cab. The cab stays incredible cool because the solar panels absorb all the heat.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Panels get so hot the ones in the deserts actually fry and kill birds that land on them. The EC system may work well and clearly they have some experience with them. The do however get very very hot and will have an impact on the temperature of the roof if directly attached. It appears that EC has determined the mentioned advantages out weigh this issue.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Those youtube videos are good (audio could use some work) and I am glad earthcruiser is on here with lots of info. It's a step forward. But I will say, I am disappointed that it's been years and earthcruiser still doesn't have a proper site for the US vehicles with any information. In this respect, you guys are way behind. I would like to see a website, and I would especially like to see a PDF with prices/options. Everyone else does it (Four Wheel Camper, Earthroamer, XP Camper, etc.). They all list prices publicly with options prices. If this info is available then my apologies but I cannot find it. The earthcruiser.com site seems way out of date too and not really having any relevant info on the US vehicles.

We're working on a new website to better differentiate between US and Aus vehicles, but it often takes a back seat to getting EarthCruisers out the door. That said we'd prefer to have a conversation with potential customers about what experience they really want to have. As for pricing, because we deal in so many different markets, we don't really want to create issues in places where things may be more/less expensive than others. We're always happy to send information when requested and to answer any questions that may arise.

DzlToy

Explorer
I don't presume that the guys building trucks are also the ones building the website, but maybe I am wrong.

Hire a reputable firm to build your site; it is your "face" to the world and what everyone will judge you by whether you like it or not.

I have friends and family in the business and you would be astonished how much of their business comes from people who have awful sites that want them redone. (as opposed to new/startup or expansion business.)

This is an example of a guy who does excellent work with custom parts of Allison transmissions but has an awful site: http://howards-conversions-allison.com/index.php

This is a very well designed and laid out site:

http://cmpclothing.com/

it doesn't have to be loud or busy or in your face, just clear and concise with easy navigation to information that people are looking for. A click and build site or a site by Joe's Graphix company is generally garbage. If you guys are busy cranking out trucks, you owe it to yourself and your current/future customers to have a bad *** site. Maybe you spend five grand, maybe you spend 20 grand, but at the end of the day, it shouldn't "cost" you anything. It is a tool for developing and growing your business, an investment, plain and simple.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I don't presume that the guys building trucks are also the ones building the website, but maybe I am wrong.

Hire a reputable firm to build your site; it is your "face" to the world and what everyone will judge you by whether you like it or not.

I have friends and family in the business and you would be astonished how much of their business comes from people who have awful sites that want them redone. (as opposed to new/startup or expansion business.)

This is an example of a guy who does excellent work with custom parts of Allison transmissions but has an awful site: http://howards-conversions-allison.com/index.php

This is a very well designed and laid out site:

http://cmpclothing.com/

it doesn't have to be loud or busy or in your face, just clear and concise with easy navigation to information that people are looking for. A click and build site or a site by Joe's Graphix company is generally garbage. If you guys are busy cranking out trucks, you owe it to yourself and your current/future customers to have a bad *** site. Maybe you spend five grand, maybe you spend 20 grand, but at the end of the day, it shouldn't "cost" you anything. It is a tool for developing and growing your business, an investment, plain and simple.

We get it, we just have to have the brainspace to convey what we need to convey to someone to redo it. We are in the process of doing this.

GR8ADV

Explorer

Hire a reputable firm to build your site;

Well it's not like you just can't say "here reputable firm, build me a cool site. thanks, I gotta get back to work."

chosen

Observer
That's true, it takes a heap of preparing to be ready for someone to make a website for you. But in this day and age, a good website is an absolute requirement. With bandwidth not being much of an issue either, flash, etc. are almost mandatory!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I guess by the same token it's not like you can't start your own exped vehicle company and run the website however you see fit.

GR8ADV

Explorer

Well if truth be told, in my eyes the EC website is reasonably more interesting and entertaining that say Unicat or GXV. Unicat does a good job of breaking out the different regions, however that being said, other than language I am not sure there is much different in their regions. But in all honesty I didn't spend a lot of time there to figure it out. I didn't see that Unicat or GXV provided cost info either. In reality I don't think that anyone that is going to drop $250-500k on this type of vehicle really cares if they can pick and choose items from a drop down menu to build their dream vehicle. They are going pick up the phone and call, then get on a plane and sit down. Now for us tire kickers who can't afford one, it would seem like good entertainment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles