EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

Keyne

Adventurer
IMO GXV has by far the worst website. It's a joke compared to the price of their vehicles but I guess if someone can afford it they just call?

awisernig

As someone who's worked in ad agencies making websites (and also owns an EC), I think it all depends on the intended goal. Is the goal to showcase several products, outline strengths and help users make sense of all the options: build a website like RAM Trucks. Is the goal more aspirational? Wanna showcase the lifestyle? Build a site like the new Discovery Sport which hardly even mentions the car, but rather what you can do with it. Want to tease people, make them crave it and pick up the phone? The Ferrari California site does a good job. If you have a community, have them talk about the "why" for you. Highlight their stories, and have them inspire people to join. Obviously it's a spectrum, but it all starts with a purpose.

For me, as someone who decided to forego buying a house to buy one, I was sold on the lifestyle long before I started considering it. I primarily wanted to get an idea of the space, scale, and thoughtfulness that went into the design. I wanted to know that through experience most the issues I'd face would have been anticipated and solved before I ever had them(like the drains being on opposite sides of each sink for when I wasn't parked flat, or having a heat duct in the mudroom/shower for drying my boots). The youtube videos did a fairly job at that and convinced me to put the effort in to drive to Bend and see it in person. A general price range was definitely important but knowing all the options before I saw it would have made no difference.

Anyway, with Michelle's and Lance's passion and experience the website will be great – when they decide to address it. Until then, the website feels authentic and gets the job done – piquing interest and getting people to contact them. Plus there's an ever growing amount of people in ECs getting stopped at gas stations, photographed on instagram, and having conversations on EXPO. And that goes much further than a flashy new site.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Heading to Bend OR this weekend. Can't wait to see the EC factory, meet Lance and Michelle, and see some of their builds. May have them convert a 2007 FG. I know they did this for one other expo member. Looks like a nice combo.

dave

Made it to Bend last weekend and spent a couple of hours with Lance and Michelle. They are great people and getting to see their product in the construction phase exposed the additional attention to detail that goes into their rigs.

Inside the FX...
I really like the FX design. I am 6'3" and I fit just fine in the dining area and on the bed. The bed is an extra large double or a small queen. It measures 77x54 (queen is 80 x 60). It was a warm day and three of us sat in the FX for over 30 minutes discussing the features. It never got hot and we only had on fan blowing and one window open...they appear to be really good in warm weather. I suspect they will do well in cold weather, as Lance showed me the sandwich panel construction with an 1.5~2.0" insulation layer (I neglected to measure). The walls and floor are fiberglass and easy to keep clean. The drawers are positive latching and the lighting is touch activated LED, both are nice touches. There are a couple of recessed ceiling mounted fans to move air. With the massive crawl through, these FX's feel huge inside. Storage is everywhere and the mechanical and electrical systems are very clean and most importantly serviceable. Of course it has the diesel cooktop and DC refrigerator - stainless upright(130L ?). There is a really clean panel for all the switches and systems (pic noted below)

One feature I was a little hesitant about was the shower/toilet/entry combo. Understanding that I did not use the toilet as a kind gesture to my hosts. This system works...the toilet is out of sight and springs into action when needed. I am sure you will get used to locking the front door when using this system. For me this worthy trade off of space and utility.

Exterior and systems...
The water system consists of two tanks that can pump between them, and you can pump water from one or the other. Fresh water for drinking is filtered (nice touch). There is plenty of gear storage accessible from either side on the rear of the rig. Spare tire is on a hand crank winch. I built something similar to lift 200lb tire/wheel combos, so the 55lb EC wheel and tire are a snap on this system. One of design rules that they employ is to keep the camper and truck systems separate. For instance disconnect one wire and the camper is isolated from the truck. This is great for troubleshooting. It part of the reason that Airtronic heating is installed and not hydronic. Hydronic taps into the cooling system (and may void your warranty...that's a nasty gotcha). I didn't ask to tip the cab forward, but the process involves two added steps. You have to unbolt two bolts in the front bumper to tilt it out of the way and you have to undue some snaps on the crawl through. This seems like a small price to pay to have the crawl through and custom bull bar bumper.

The gray water system is shrouded in steel and insulated. It also has a heating blanket. But both Lance and I discussed the challenge of keeping the gray water release valve from freezing. In the past I have wrapped mine in fiberglass insulation when on trips and always kept it empty when parked at home. This valve and the fuel tank (they will put an upgraded rectangular tank if you prefer) are hidden under the side skirts. The side skirts are on hinges and allow access to the frame components...more clever solutions for serviceability.

There has been lots of discussion recently about their choice in solar panels. They use the film like panels that recess into the roof. They are only 125w each and you can have up to three. The good news is that you are not going to hang these up an any overhead branches. Speaking of branches, the FX is coming in at 10'6" height...(Lance/Michelle -correct that if I got it wrong). They can hold up to 3 batteries and they placed low and in the center.

On to the cab:
Their are heated leather seats on mechanical spring systems that surround a large center console (with 2 real cup holders). I drove the truck briefly and found the seats to be as good as my air nationals. Of course you can't adjust these seats as much as an air seat, but generally you find what works and keep that air setting anyway. There were very few mods to the interior other than the seats and this is keeping with the design goal to do minimal changes and system integration of the truck. If I recall correctly, there was an extra dash switch for some exterior lighting.

Final impressions:
I want one! That sums it up nicely. I just bought a 2007 FG with very low use and very clean. I will move my current box to this and then start saving for the EC FX upgrade. BTW for those who are worried about that Duonic transmission, you should stop by and take a test drive. With proper mapping they do just fine...I was impressed. If you are considering a custom rig, I would highly recommend the EC FX. If overseas travel is in your plans look at their standard EC with the retractable roof. Same great engineering and well thought out design concepts. I was so excited as we toured around I neglected to get a lot photos or even make notes. It's worth the trip to Bend to see these vehicles...be prepared Bend is difficult to get to. Redmond (RDM) the smallest airport I have been in years and I fly out of Bozeman, MT every week!

IMG_4257.jpgIMG_4264.jpgIMG_4263.jpgIMG_4260.jpgIMG_4261.jpgIMG_4259.jpgIMG_4253.jpgIMG_4255.jpg
thanks for reading,
dave

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpg
    IMG_4258.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
Dave

Thanks for the nice write up and photos. Now I just need more people in the U.S. to buy one so I can buy one used... :)

ucs308

Observer
Silly Q's

I have read a lot about the Earth Crusiers. But i missed what the fuel capacity is, and what if any options there are to increase it. What is the range in miles?

Can i seat three people in the front? Also It looks like there is room to sleep 3 but it is not completely clear.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I have read a lot about the Earth Crusiers. But i missed what the fuel capacity is, and what if any options there are to increase it. What is the range in miles?

Can i seat three people in the front? Also It looks like there is room to sleep 3 but it is not completely clear.

Thanks in advance.

Both the EXP and the FX have options for increased fuel capacity. The FX to 72 gallons and the EXP to nearly 80. Range is 800-1000 miles with added fuel. If you keep the front bench seat you can seat three (and the dinette table becomes a bed on both). The FX has an option for two rear seatbelts.

Hope this helps.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
New Rad Flow shocks exclusive to EarthCruiser
22mm shaft - made in USA - world class quality.
These shocks are now standard on EarthCruiser EXP available as an option on EarthCruiser FX
New RadFlow shocks for EarthCruiser.jpg
New Radfloe shocks for EarthCruiser rear.jpg

david506th

Adventurer
New Rad Flow shocks exclusive to EarthCruiser
22mm shaft - made in USA - world class quality.
These shocks are now standard on EarthCruiser EXP available as an option on EarthCruiser FX

Nice!!!! Now lets talk the good stuff, Price & Availability plus what it takes to install.

savvyone

What are the pros and cons with Fuso vs Iveco for the Earthcruiser. Iveco seem pretty good but Fuso look to be the most popular.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If history is anything to go by, Italian electrics have never been what you could call reliable. Hopefully that has changed in the Iveco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles