EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

Howard70

Adventurer
Very much enjoy this thread and your posts. Thank you ! :)

I'm with Frank on this one. Keep up the great work. The opportunities your products have provided for Heidi and I are the best thing that's happened for us since we left sailing to start adventuring "on the hard."

Howard Snell
Prima Terra

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask an open question here. Since this is very EC oriented forum I want to explain why.

I'll be buying an overland vehicle in a near future. I love the EC, almost everything about it. The size is perfect, the layout almost. I'm willing to spend as much, but I'm not sure if I need it. I'm not such an off-road enthusiast, I much more like and need the off-grid capabilities. We like to visit places that are outside of our comfort zone, but more of different cultures, remote villages, meeting people then extreme and remote nature. Going to far riches of Russia, Mongolia (our plan for the first long trip) the off-road is a necessity. But I calculate we will need the off-road for 1-3% of our journey.

Maybe there is a vehicle you can recommend that is focused a little bit more on the comfortable ride with the same attention to detail and with the ability to be self sufficient for a long time. Something based on a stock Sprinter 4x4, maybe? (I did an extensive research with no result).

And more appropriate question for the EC team. Did you have any requests or ideas how to make the vehicle less flashy, noticeable. I do recognize it is much better then your competition in that respect. For our purposes we would like something that did not look like a moving 1m$ (not to alienate people) and more like a small truck?

Kris

dlh62c

Explorer
Kris

Since newer diesels require ULSD, the type of fuel your vehicle burns could be a limiting factor. With each passing year more and more countries are switching over to ULSD but connecting countries and continents together that currently have ULSD will prove problematic.

I'm a fan of EC but the newer diesel trucks with their emissions hardware would have to limit their world travel abilities.

Maybe EC has a solution for this, maybe they can let us know how they solve this issue?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replay. I know about this limit, EC and most of the competition build (on request) on the older versions.

Kris

Since newer diesels require ULSD, the type of fuel your vehicle burns could be a limiting factor. With each passing year more and more countries are switching over to ULSD but connecting countries and continents together that currently have ULSD will prove problematic.

I'm a fan of EC but the newer diesel trucks with their emissions hardware would have to limit their world travel abilities.

Maybe EC has a solution for this, maybe they can let us know how they solve this issue?

I don't want to hijack this forum it is about one of the best overland vehicles there is. I have a question about the EC to the company (abut economical camouflage) and wanted to hear if someone knows an alternative similar ready build with a little less off-road capabilities. I'm not interested in building my own and this is not the forum to discuss it.

Kris.

DzlToy

Explorer
Economic camoflage can be accomplished in a manner often referred to as "security through obscurity"

You could paint the truck as a humanitarian vehicle or an aid vehicle. You could paint or "decorate" the truck as something innocuous, such as a moving truck, plumber's van, etc.

A friend of mine bought an old U-haul moving van years ago, left everything as it was from U-haul on the outside and built the inside of the "moving box" into a RV/motorhome. Parking on the street in a city, sleeping in a truck stop, etc. was very easy, because everyone "thought" it was a moving van.

If he had parked a large RV or motorhome on the street in a city or suburban area, the results may have been a bit different.

I would presume that EC could paint or wrap the vehicle to look like almost anything. At the end of the day however, it is a bit of a target, a bit of a curiosity and a bit of a motorhome all in one.

GR8ADV

Explorer
For me the spare tires on the back are dead give away and paint won't make much of a difference. It will draw a crowd. if you could go with a single spare stored inside and then get rid of the bull bumper/winch, roof rack and external lights, it could work great.

dlh62c

Explorer
I don't want to hijack this forum it is about one of the best overland vehicles there is. I have a question about the EC to the company (abut economical camouflage) and wanted to hear if someone knows an alternative similar ready build with a little less off-road capabilities. I'm not interested in building my own and this is not the forum to discuss it.

Kris.

You should consider starting your own thread.

Responses to your questions will be tailored to your needs, wants and ideas.

You can also send Michele at EC a PM. She has always responded to mine in a timely manner.

Thank you for your responses.

DzlToy – Except for humanitarian (also an ethical doubt), which is a head turner in itself, it is very difficult to find a paint job, which would explain a number plates from the other end of the planet.

GR8ADV – Good point. As I wrote, I will not go hardcore off-roading so I can probably get away with one spear.

I myself was thinking two ways:

- One is building tarpaulin around it, but this would probably compromise the quality of travel. A specially the noise (although I have never travelled in a tarpaulin truck). It would be completely hidden from the street level.
- Two, less drastic, the rust. I can put rust on wheels, that wouldn't change anything other than the look. I can also put fake rust on other parts and buy some broken spare parts, like chipped door handles, few faded bumper stickers, make a fake cheap repair - etc. I thing that such theatrics can make a big difference. It still would be an overland vehicle, but a seriously seasoned one (alternatively one can go for full on hippie truck). DzlToy - Sleeping in big cities, suburbia is not what we are aiming for.

Dlh62c – You are probably right.

Just to explain myself:

1. I have been planning the travel for some time - you can see from when I open the account. I was only reading never writing so I managed to narrow it down, and now when we are to realise the plan the EC is the most serious candidate for our vehicle. Hence I chose this forum which gathers people that came to similar conclusion.
2. I was expecting one or two replies, which might benefit everyone, rather than a whole discussion - which seems to be starting.

3. I wanted to be courteous and answer,
Kris

SuperVan

Forager
In case you are a EC owner and are thinking of letting go sometime this year...

~ Earth Cruiser Wanted ~
I am in the market for a well cared for Earth Cruiser anywhere on...Earth.
I have spent time with the very helpful Michelle of EC at the Overland Expo and I know this is the rig for me. Just don't have enough ducats for a new one at this point...
New friends Bob and Barb were kind enough to let me crawl around their rig in at OE and again in New Mexico. Recently Frank let me pay a visit to his rig in LA (thanks again Frank!)
So yes, I have my mind set on the EC. That being said, I am looking for someone that is done playing with theirs and is ready to pass it on to a good home. Any year considered, and any location considered (Hellooo Australian Owners!) Especially if you are in the middle of an adventure in Asia or South America right now and you need someone to take the wheel from there;)
Thanks Kindly,
Private message me or reach me at adventureplanet at gmail dot com

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Meanwhile in Europe.
EarthCruiser FX - FG 2017 Chassis ( five speed manual , dual range transfer case) and many other x factory goodies.
The official release will be in Abenteuer & Allrad in June.
EarthCruiser EU.jpg
EarthCruiser 2017 FG.JPG

45lpv

Observer
Nice! Gives you something to do with that (otherwise) useless left foot.

Like the color combo with the shiny rims too.

dtruzinski

Explorer
A chance encounter with an FX

Took a quick trip down to Zion National Park last weekend, only to find out that the entire state of Utah was on Spring break. Since we generally boondock, the fact that the campgrounds are already full and booked into July was not a big concern. We found a mesa just outside of the town of Hurricane and proceeded to drive out when we discovered that there was another camper on the mesa...it was an EarthCruiser....what are the chances? We got an opportunity to chat briefly with "cnick" and his wife the following morning. They have Earthcruiser FX #2 and are clearly enjoying their EC, as are their two small, errr huge dogs. The more I see of these FX's the more I like them.

IMG_5469.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier