EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
High quality stainless hose clamps are common and numerous even on million $ yachts. We could not have stayed afloat without them. Every refit we wished we had stock in a hose clamp company.

I, also, am unsure that hose clamps are inherently evil. :)

DzlToy

Explorer
As seen in the images below, a compression style threaded fitting should be used for coolant hoses:

398914285631581ffbd4b.jpg

rad-rides-by-troy-mariani-streamliner-engine.jpg

Other large tubing, such as intake, piping for turbo or intercooler on a diesel, etc., should use a Boost Depot style stainless V-Band clamp.

1064fb3b05737b912f2944c2436f38bc.jpg

Fuel lines, oil lines and even coolant lines should use Earl's anodized aluminum fittings or the steel equivalent. These are compression style fittings commonly seen on hydraulic hoses, HVAC lines in vehicles and in marine applications: (Note: If I paid $1M for a boat, there would be no hose clamps.)

https://www.anplumbing.com/ - they have every type of fitting and hose imagineable, so there is no need for hose repair clamps:

hydraulichose.jpg

And finally, if you are using a "hose clamp" to "mount" something, you are using the incorrect item to begin with. They are hose repair clamps, not mounting clamps. Professional "fabrication" by its very nature, includes proper engineering, mounting, etc., not parts store bodgery.

An example of a billet mounting bracket for something round, such as a fuel filter:

in-line%20fuel%20filter%20billet%20mounting%20bracket.jpg

End of lesson, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Heidi

Perhaps it is the definition of the clamping system that is the root if the discussion. Clamping can require more specialized fixtures. However hose clamps are not just for repair. In the yachting world, from the daily runabout to the ultra yachts high quality stainless hose clamps are a main line of defense keeping the ocean below and the yacht on top. Properly used and normally double clamped as backup security on hoses and fittings, these are subjected to some, if not full time immersion in salt water, even in the boat. Steel is avoided if at all possible, and would rust away in amazingly short order. Aluminum clamps with any other metal parts would become a huge mass of galvanic corrosion. Keeping any thing functioning in or around salt water is a full time job. Nor to mention the crazy interaction of constant electrolysis acting on metals. Zinc anodes are a component of reducing that constant problem.
Not all hose clamps are created equal, true stainless, properly lubed threads with precise placing and tightning are part of the job. Fitting the clamp size properly is just as important. There is even a proper way to fit the clamps double on almost any use.
I think we are probably saying the same thing, I just wanted to clarify hose clamps are more than just "repair" clamps in yachting applications. It is hard to imagine the number of boats that have sunk because of a clamp failure do to improper material or fitting. It is probably equally hard to imagine the sheer number of clamps used even on small yachts. Refitting and filling the replacement parts storage box for overseas trips was killer on the bank account.
But I agree with using the proper tool (or part) for any job, failure to do so can literally sink you.

EarthCruiser Engineering - Front Shock Reservoir Mounts

Official introduction:

EarthCruiser Front Shock Reservoir Mounts

External reservoirs on shock absorbers are utilized by many manufacturers in order to manage heat, among other considerations. When a shock absorber of this configuration is used on a FUSO FG, the mounting of the external reservoir can be a challenge.

L1050335_zpsj93n9bnj.jpg

EarthCruiser Front Shock Reservoir Mounts offer a practical solution for a FUSO FG owner needing to secure the remote reservoir of their chosen shock absorber. The Reservoir Mount is a bolt-on affair on the 2012 and newer FUSO FG. Use on older FG rigs requires simple drilling and additional hardware.

Photo%203-11-2015%204%2044%2023%20pm_zpssjcwjqqd.jpg

Bolting cleanly to the front shock towers using existing factory hardware (2012 up), congruity with the shock tower and inner fender means the Reservoir Mounts direct focus to the shock absorber and external reservoir.

ROB%20AND%20KATE%20BUILD_344_zpsydztwznu.jpg

The Reservoir Mounts secure the shock absorber's external reservoir using commonly available screw/band type (hose) clamps. This method mirrors the practice utilized by well-regarded shock absorber manufacturers. Additionally, the clamps are easily sourced, spares are easily stored, and exchange for different sizes is simple.

Photo%2019-04-2016%205%2025%2004%20pm_zpsmslsjcxx.jpg

A classy set of parts made from steel and powdercoated to match factory FUSO chassis components, the EarthCruiser Front Shock Reservoir Mounts help make upgrading the suspension on the FUSO FG an inspiring affair.

L1050337_zpssjp1jg4h.jpg

cheers,
Vincent

Post%20attach%20pic%205_zpsjuzi8qv2.jpg

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Understandably no photos are allowed inside the plant.
Been in a number of car and truck factories around the place , I worked for FORD trucks in Eagle farm Brisbane a life time ago.
The way Daimler FUSO can so seamlessly build for so many markets and models in the same plant and lines is very impressive. There supply chain management is something else.
Daimler visit.jpg
Photo 14-04-2016, 09 14 15.jpg
Many thanks to Daimler for the invite.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Have you any photos of "accidents", i.e. crashes, animal strikes, etc. ? Curious how the COE trucks do at the front with large bull bars as well as how the RV box would fair.

Thanks

EDIT: Hopefully, it doesn't look like this:

attachment.php

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Maybe it's just the design.
There is the normal cab, the crew cab and now this compact half cab version. :Wow1:

jamesk

Observer
I've decided that I will go the earthcruiser route in the future as my home on wheels. When factoring my budget, I left out one thing: insurance.

With the sticker price as much as these babies are, how much do you estimate it costs to insure one?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I've decided that I will go the earthcruiser route in the future as my home on wheels. When factoring my budget, I left out one thing: insurance.

With the sticker price as much as these babies are, how much do you estimate it costs to insure one?

I think much of that answer will depend on your area.

For us, it's worthwhile to actually relocate out of California a bit sooner than we thought we would. The offset from sales tax fees, insurance and other costs will pay for a nice little plot of land that I'll be modifying into an RV camping area for us. More than likely that'll be in Oregon.

Just for grins, I'll get a quote from my carrier to see what they'd want for coverage and I'll post it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior