EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Found this truck on our most reacent trip to Moreton Island.
Had a chat with the owner as he was blocking our veiw of the ocean most afternoons. The truck is the 2nd build of the LWB type from EOV & the owner put his touches on the inside, did not get a look inside.

Cheers
David

Attachments

• Earthcruiser LWB Front.JPG
    Earthcruiser LWB Front.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Earthcruiser LWB Side.JPG
    Earthcruiser LWB Side.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 224
  • Nice Location.JPG
    Nice Location.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 148

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very nice video.
I didn't realize the Earthcruiser had an inside shower setup, very very cool.
Now if only there was a 4dr 4x4 version, although my 13yr just watched the video with me and said he would be willing to ride in the camper section :)

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
We don't bite

We're always happy to answer any enquiries and discuss options if you're getting ready to make your dreams a reality.

In Australia ring 07 3358 1011
In the US or Europe call 1 503 688 3345

We'd love to hear from you.:)

haven

Expedition Leader
Lance Gillies, owner of EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles, is at The Overland Expo this weekend. The official "day 1" video has 90 seconds on EarthCruiser, starting at about the 1:30 mark. I was impressed with how spacious the EarthCruiser interior looked.

http://vimeo.com/21833220

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Haven,

I climbed into that thing as well. My wife and I liked it. The vehicle that was there had two adults and one child, and I am not sure it was large enough for that, and certainly not for my two boys, myself and my wife. But for two people it certainly looked like a nice vehicle. I really liked the opening between the cab and camper sections.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks for reviving this thread. There is something that's been eating at me, so maybe there are folks here with the experience to answer...

The specs on this camper show that it fits in a 20' high cube ISO container, with about 2 3/4" to spare.

However, based on my easy chair research, ISO standards specify a 40' HC container, but not a 20' HC. ISO containers regularly come in 20', 40', and 40' HC varieties, but not 20' HC. Plus, I've read somewhere on this forum that the 40' HC is a fairly rare beast.

Therefore, I'm wondering how hard it is going to be to find a 20' HC container. Is my info wrong? Is the 20' high cube container readily available? I would hate to get half-way around the world and not be able to find a HC container. Or, find out the only HC containers available are 40 footers, which would double the shipping cost.

If I'm right, and 20' HC containers aren't readily available, then...

The HC container has a door height of 8' 5", versus the standard container door height of 7' 8", so the HC door frame is 9" higher.

According to the specs the Earthcruiser vehicles have about 10" of ground clearance, so with great care one should be able to fit a set of 'container wheels' (Like Allrad Christ used to offer for their Bremach rigs), and be able to get this rig into a standard 20' container, with about an inch of ground clearance and about an inch of clearance on top to clear the the door. In addition, you could probably compress and tie down the suspension.

My conclusion is that it would probably pay to have a set of container wheels on board, along with a means to compress the suspension, just in case.

Am I wrong?

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I met and spoke with Lance and Michele of EarthCruiser at OvEx 2011.

Here are some photos of unit #2, owned by a Kiwi named Michael. Michael and his family are on a world trip. We were all very fortunate they stopped by the show so we could see the vehicle.

This example is a short wheelbase version. They also make a long wheelbase camper.

Lance indicated that you can ship a U.S. chassis to them in Oz and they will install this camper on the chassis.

Lance's wife Michele and the EarthCruiser.
2011-04-01-s90-3457-800.jpg

2011-04-01-s90-3458-800.jpg

2011-04-01-s90-3459-800.jpg

Michael and his rig.
2011-04-01-s90-3461-800.jpg

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The long-famous but rarely seen Ozzie camper payload suspension system. Earthcruiser uses four of these on each frame rail for a short wheelbase and five for a long wheelbase. Lance said the spring rates are different depending on the position as the frame twists differently at different spots.

These are the only attachments for the payload on the Fuso Canter/FG frame.

Note the vertical channels to locate the payload fore and aft.

[Edit: photos removed at request of EarthCruiser -- Chip Haven ]

Extended leaf springs are mounted on both axles to provide a greatly enhanced ride.

Total weight for this vehicle is about 11,000 pounds.

Michael had custom wheels made once he got to the U.S. and fitted these tires.

2011-04-01-s90-3477-800.jpg

2011-04-01-s90-3478-800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

haven

Expedition Leader
Lynn, It's true that the 20 foot high top container is not a common size. But you don't have to ship your vehicle that often. So I think you can make arrangements with your shipper to have one available when you're traveling to another continent.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the Photos Doug.

It was a pleasure to meet yourself and your wife on Sunday (near the Muskoka display).

Ironic that I went all that way and failed to take a single photo. I was just enjoying it so very much that I did not snap a single shot! Heck I only got a few of my own rig pulling our AT Horizon, and they were up in Phoenix!

Cheers

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Have a look at this link to see another EarthCruiser in a container on it's way to Europe.

http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/images/Another EarthCruiser travels the world.pdf

Although the 20 ft hiCube may not be widely used in the US, our customers have not had a problem obtaining one in Aus or elsewhere.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Actually, I imagine obtaining one in the US isn't a problem. Also in Europe. It is the 'elsewhere' that had me concerned.

Of course, the 40' high cube, like in the link you provided, is always an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94