EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Pete. The news includes a photo of an Earth Cruiser UTE on a double cab chassis,

Earthcruiser-ute-doublecab.jpg

There are illustrations of floorplan options for short and long wheelbase models, and a PDF file with photos of the interior.

Also new is a second tire option: the Toyo Open Country M/T in size 315/75 R 16. This is a 35 inch tall tire with load rating of 127Q, meaning a max load of 3858 lbs per tire and top speed of 99 mph. The tire is pictured above.

The original Earth Cruiser used a Michelin XZL 255/100 R 16 tire with load rating of 126K. Translated, that means a maximum load of 3748 lbs per tire, and a top speed of 68 mph. The XZL stands 36 inches tall. [Edit: I also found a "unique point" load rating of 134K at about 75 psi on a Michelin web site.]

The XZL tire is a specialty tire, used most frequently on military vehicles and Unimog-style utility vehicles. The Toyo is likely to be cheaper, and easier to find. The Toyo would also a good choice if you're planning to cruise on the freeway for hours at 65 mph.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a look at the difference in length and angles of the Earth Cruiser built on short and long wheelbase Fuso FGs.

EC-SWB.jpg

EC-LWB.jpg

The dimensions:
Overall Length SWB: 5650 mm / 222 in, 18.5 ft
Overall Length LWB: 6250 mm / 246 in, 20.5 ft
Approach Angle SWB: 45* LWB: 45*
Departure Angle SWB: 40* LWB: 22*
Breakover Angle SWB: 30* LWB 40*

Both vehicles are 2510 mm high and 2060 mm wide

Having the extra 20 inches of interior room and storage space would be great (and probably essential if you have more than one passenger). But the 20.5 ft overall length means you'll need a full size (40 ft) shipping container when you hop to a new continent.

oka boy

Observer
It's nice to see that a gentleman's agreement was reach,I have spoken to Paul from Warriors and he is a bundle of Knowledge about anything expedition,you can tell what his passion is,and I also seen Earth cruiser 4 from the forum member Bandicoot and the quality of workmanship is absolutely superb,so there you have a two sucess stories....well done Guys
cheers,Joe

p71

Observer
All that arguing about about GVWR makes me glad I live in TX where I can go up to 11800 KG on a standard license...

Gets a little trickier if you are towing... for some reason if you have an 11700 KG GVWR truck and a 200KG gvwr trailer you need a commercial license...

But it is ok to tow a 15000 KG trailer behind a truck with a 4000 KG GVWR on a standard license...

I believe it is set up that way because F350s and GM and Dodge 2500s and 3500s (and 4500s and the sterlings ETC) have huge GCWR but relatively low payloads, and are extremely common.

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Hi All, new to this place and have a question re; the load spec on these tyres.
All I can find on line and at my local tyre place, states the Toyo has a load rating of 121P, which is significantly less than the information below.
Am I looking in the wrong place's or is it really rated at 127Q as below? Can anyone confirm this?
thanks Dave.

Thanks, Pete. The news includes a photo of an Earth Cruiser UTE on a double cab chassis,

Earthcruiser-ute-doublecab.jpg

Also new is a second tire option: the Toyo Open Country M/T in size 315/75 R 16. This is a 35 inch tall tire with load rating of 127Q, meaning a max load of 3858 lbs per tire and top speed of 99 mph. The tire is pictured above.

p71

Observer
Hi All, new to this place and have a question re; the load spec on these tyres.
All I can find on line and at my local tyre place, states the Toyo has a load rating of 121P, which is significantly less than the information below.
Am I looking in the wrong place's or is it really rated at 127Q as below? Can anyone confirm this?
thanks Dave.

Tire Size Product Code Approved Rim Width Range (inch) Overall Diameter (inch) Overall Width (inch) Tread Depth (1/32") Tire Weight (lbs.)

LT315/75R16 127Q E/10 (35X12.50R16) 360230 8.0-8.5-10.0 34.9 12.9 21 76.1

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Just picked up the latest edition of 4x4 Australia, March 2011.
A 5 page story on the Earthcruiser Short wheelbase camper.
I would still go with the NPS.

Cheers
David

canter tourer

Adventurer
After some searching and phone calls to Toyo Aust, they tell me that this tyre is only available in 121P load rating? not 127Q in australia.
Does anyone know who I should be ringing for tyres that can help out with this, as clearly they are available in aust as they are fitted to the ute in the picture?
Also Hankook in USA list a m/t in this size with the same rating 127Q but after phoning hankook aust it is also not available in australia, so much for being the lucky country.
Thanks
Dave

Tire Size Product Code Approved Rim Width Range (inch) Overall Diameter (inch) Overall Width (inch) Tread Depth (1/32") Tire Weight (lbs.)

LT315/75R16 127Q E/10 (35X12.50R16) 360230 8.0-8.5-10.0 34.9 12.9 21 76.1

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Come see us at Overland Expo. We'll be there with an EarthCruiser Expedition Vehicle (EXP) and one of our travelling customers.

jrueppel

Adventurer
That's pretty cool news. Hearing that and getting to see an Earth Cruiser is almost enough reason for me to make the entire journey.

haven

Expedition Leader
From the EarthCruiser "What's New" page:

"We are on our way to Overland Expo 2011 in Arizona , Stand # 51
And....we will have an EarthCruiser EXP on the stand."

EarthCruiser refers to its campers as EXP models, in short and long wheelbase versions. The EarthCruiser UTE is the model with a flatbed (ute tray), ready for work or for mounting the camper of your choice.

The What's New section has six postings so far in February, with lots of new information. I liked the brief reports from EarthCruiser owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne