Creative solutions for water tank spout

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I am installing a 12 gallon Front Runner Tank in my D90. The tank is gravity fed and has a hose attached to it and I am looking for some sort of spout or shower head to attach to the end of the hose so I can dispense the water. I'm interested in seeing what creative solutions you have all come up with. Please post pictures. Brand and type recommendations are also welcome. Is there perhaps something in the marine or RV industry that would be appropriate for Overlanding?

rayra

Expedition Leader
kitchen sink sprayer handle / hose. And with a little pressure, you can shower with it.

s-l500.jpg

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Something like that could work but I am attaching mine to a hose so I'll need something slightly different. I'd prefer not to get a garden hose sprayer.

rayra

Expedition Leader
A simple matter of a hose adapter or a barbed splice fitting will let you put whatever handle you want on whatever line you want.

You criteria are almost non-existent as are your intended uses and storage / ride conditions. Thus it's kind of tough to make suggestions. The kitchen sink sprayer is a happy medium. If all you wnt is to "dispense" as you put it, that infers nothing more than a spigot. Which is very limited in function. A sprayer fitting will fill a pot and wash your dishes and wash the soap out of your hair much better than a simple spigot.

Enjoy your quest. Maybe somebody else's random suggestion will be better.

Tools for Adventure

Supporting Sponsor
No need for criteria. I described exactly what I am planning to hook it up to. I was just looking to see what everyone else is using for on board water tank dispensers.

A simple matter of a hose adapter or a barbed splice fitting will let you put whatever handle you want on whatever line you want.

You criteria are almost non-existent as are your intended uses and storage / ride conditions. Thus it's kind of tough to make suggestions. The kitchen sink sprayer is a happy medium. If all you wnt is to "dispense" as you put it, that infers nothing more than a spigot. Which is very limited in function. A sprayer fitting will fill a pot and wash your dishes and wash the soap out of your hair much better than a simple spigot.

Enjoy your quest. Maybe somebody else's random suggestion will be better.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Here's the tank and hose kit that I have. Since its all plastic and I am attaching the spout/spigot/sprayer to the end of a hose I'd prefer if it is a plastic one , not metal. I like the Gardena (German garden products) products show below. Perhaps I'll get both. A two in one sprayer would be nice for refilling water bottles, doing dishes or hosing of wetsuits. I'm a little concerned about the fact that the tank is gravity fed. Is it going to reduce pressure if you attach a sprayer function?

front-runner-water-tank-hose-kit-WTAN014-1.jpgfront-runner-upright-water-tank-with-two-cut-outs-flat-WTAN009-3.jpgminmax.ms.jpeg31Gu05khiEL._AC_UL320_SR216,320_.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
I've tried several things with my gravity fed PVC solar shower. I just found the perfect solution for me this past week. It is, in fact, a kitchen sprayer but not a metal or fixed one. $10 at Lowe's and better all around than all the garden hose sprayers I've tried. It has a good spray pattern with very little pressure.
df3c65b764397850ccb5cf239de4ed83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Looks great. Thanks! A trip to Lowes seems to be in order. Is it adjustable? Looks like that chrome ring could twist?

I've tried several things with my gravity fed PVC solar shower. I just found the perfect solution for me this past week. It is, in fact, a kitchen sprayer but not a metal or fixed one. $10 at Lowe's and better all around than all the garden hose sprayers I've tried. It has a good spray pattern with very little pressure.
df3c65b764397850ccb5cf239de4ed83.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Pressurize your tank slightly. Doesn't take a lot for a marked improvement in flow. Reinforce the tank or build a tight-fittign plywood box / sleeve around most of the tank, to constrain it when you pump some air in it. Easy to add a valve stem to it.
And that black sink sprayer is essentially the same thing I posted. That's the sort of hose all the retracting sprayers come with. And looks the same as the hose on your tank already. Reinforced clear PVC, probably 1/2" I.D. Common as all get out.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Get this http://zodi.com/hot-showers/extreme-sc (or make one* with a metal tank bug/weed sprayer and weld up some legs).

Transfer water from storage tank to the unit. light up propane... heat it up...... take shower.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9eBK6xM9ok

Other ideas seen is a 4" to 6" PVC pipe caped on roof of rig BLACK, to solar heat water put in it. Make it large enough for a few showers? Maybe some Aluminum sheeting to make a reflector around it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpC4fhyORZk

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I built the exact black PVC one Coachgeo posted, with a Schrader valve. You can spin the top cap loose and gravity feed works well, or tighten it after adding a little Teflon to the threads and pressurize. It works a little better but not really enough to justify the added effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior