Stumptaco's has gone over to the darkside..XJ style.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Hey John, I saw that yesterday. I think I have decided to go with TJ flares though after reading how much trouble the bushwackers have been. Not to mention they are only a fraction of the cost. Thanks for looking out though!!

~James

Tanto

Adventurer
One more suggestion: Tube Fenders

As a warning, you'll be in your garage/outside a while looking at your XJ figuring out how to do this once you look at that thread.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
stumptaco said:
Hey John, I saw that yesterday. I think I have decided to go with TJ flares though after reading how much trouble the bushwackers have been. Not to mention they are only a fraction of the cost. Thanks for looking out though!!

~James

Utilizing four TJ rear flares?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I am picking up a set of TJ fender flares this weekend, and I will determine if I want to use the fronts or hold out for two more rear flares. I may use the fronts, but it looks like a LOT of trimming to get them right.

I have seen that Tube Fender thread also, that guy does some amazing work for sure. That is an option as well, but its a whole lot of work.

I will know more once I actually get a set in my hands, but I have to something one way or the other.

~James

Jackel18

stumptaco said:
I am picking up a set of TJ fender flares this weekend, and I will determine if I want to use the fronts or hold out for two more rear flares. I may use the fronts, but it looks like a LOT of trimming to get them right.

I have seen that Tube Fender thread also, that guy does some amazing work for sure. That is an option as well, but its a whole lot of work.

I will know more once I actually get a set in my hands, but I have to something one way or the other.

~James

you should use four rear flares, looks better imo. My brother in-law and i did rear TJ flares on his MJ and it looks pretty good. I'll be doing the same to my MJ in the spring.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Mid-Eastern France: There and Back Again.

My normal group that I go offroading with decided to go for one last camping trip this year, and planned it for this weekend, Friday, Sat. and Sunday. There were 6-8 of us planning to go on this trip a few weeks ago, and we bounced many different ideas around about which direction we wanted to go, and what countries to visit. By the time Wednesday of this week rolled around, it appeared as though I would be making a solo trip as most of the guys were either tied up fixing vehicles, work related stuff, or just plain didnt want to camp in the cold wet winter in Europe. All of which I understand, but I wasnt going to let it stop me, especially since I had already taken Friday off from work, and had the "ok" from my wife about going. These opportunities are rare....

Thursday at work, I did some searching on where I wanted to go, and decided to just make it a short trip over into France. Since I was going solo and into an unfamiliar area, I decided to hit the designated camping spots if at all possible. This was harder than I initially realized, since it is now so late into the season, most places were closed for the winter, especially the farther South I went into the mountains. I decided that my first stop would be Bannes, France, in the Champagne-Ardenne region. Basically, in the middle of nothing, and I was fine with that. I would drive down to this spot on Friday, camp friday night, then head back in the general direction I came until I got to my second spot of the trip, Neufgrange, France in the Lorraine region. Also, in the middle of nothing.

The purpose of this trip was simply to "get out", do a little exploring of an area not well known for much, and test out my camping set-up. Just a last hoo-rah for 2008 if you will.

Loaded up the Jeep Friday morning, and had make one pit-stop before I officially got underway. I snapped this picture in the parking lot of a "baumarkt", which is similar to a Lowes, Home Depot, or large hardware store. I needed to stop here to get a new clip/pin that holds on my sway bar discconects. I lost one while wheeling a few weeks back, and figured it would be a good idea to have the sway bar hooked up, especially with all of the weight I added on the top of the roof rack. Found what I needed, hooked up the sway bar, and was ready to roll.

DSCN0604.jpg

I checked the forcast before leaving, and it was calling for "spotty" rain showers, with a possible thunder storm moving through on Friday night. No problem, this would give me a good opportunity to see how water proof my tent and awning was...

Just a few spots along the way. This was at a parking area where I stopped to stretch my legs, and eat a packed lunch. Certainly looks like rain in my future...

This is pretty much what it looked like for my whole trip. Rolling hills, open fields, and high winds with low cloud cover. The perfect European Winter day.

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0606.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

I finally made it to my first destination, Bannes, France. Like I mentioned, I was going to be utilizing camps grounds for my stops. Although this one was like a ghost town, it was open.

First camp site, all set-up:

DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
More camp site shots:

DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

Inside the tent, with the LED light strip working like a charm.

DSCN0616.jpg

The kitchen in night mode:

DSCN0617.jpg

On the menu for Friday night:

Jack Daniels Honey Teriyaki marinated beef tips, cooked with sauteed onions
Chicken and herb wild rice, courtesy of Uncle Ben's
Onion Baguette, topped with Lurpak butter (Hey... I was in France)
Coke for a drink, supercharged with Jim Beam.
Mmm Mmm Good!

DSCN0619.jpg

After an outstanding meal, flawless camp kitchen operation, and decent chef work, the rain started.... and I mean it started.... and it never stopped until I left the next day. I had to lower one corner of the awning to let the rain water run off so it wouldnt pool up and destroy the awning canvas. I also closed up the kitchen, and head upstairs to the "living room".

Since the weather was crappy, and it was cold to boot, I decided to watch a movie, and enjoy the heated space thanks to my catalytic heater.

A little Bourne Ultimatum anyone?

DSCN0621.jpg

Having the laptop was great for movies, luckily I had my 12 volt to 120 volt inverter and was able to run the laptop on the power cord instead of just the battery. My computer battery is pretty old, and only good for about 45 minutes.

The next morning, I awoke to rain. Lots of rain. Everything was thoroughly soaked outside, but I was high and dry inside the tent. I slithered out of the warm, dry tent into the cold wetness that could be called nothing less than miserable.

I made the most of it anyway, and had breakfast. Once again, compliments of the camp kitchen.

Ham, pepperjack cheese, and grilled onion omelet, a few pieces of baguette with butter, and some OJ.

DSCN0622.jpg

I packed up the Jeep while it was raining constantly, hating life every second of the way. It was nasty to say the least. I was honestly contemplating going home instead of heading to my second scheduled stop, but then I thought WWEPPD? What Would Expedition Portal People Do? So after loading all of my rain soaked gear, I forged on for my next destination.

One of many random little French villages that I passed through.

DSCN0624.jpg

More open road...

DSCN0625.jpg

Finally arriving at my second destination, I was pleased to see a nice calm lake near the camping spots.

DSCN0627.jpg

Continued.....

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Another shot of the lake as I drove in.

DSCN0629.jpg

I arrived at this place around 4pm. It was not raining, and appeared to be clearing up a little, but the grounds were completely soaked. I managed to talk the owners into letting me set up on the edge of the water where a HUGE pile of asphalt was, on a section that had been spread out with a tractor. It was nice and flat, and better yet it didnt have any pools of water from the rains. They agreed after realizing I was not in a "caravan" as that is what they are used to seeing.

The second camp site:

DSCN0630.jpg

The local French folks think I am a bit "odd" having a tent on my roof. The sad part is my kitchen was as well equipt as some of their motorhomes.

The kitchen ready for another round:

DSCN0634.jpg

On the menu for Saturday night:

Herb crusted chicken, with a little Asian flair.
Asian salad with sweet sesame dressing, dried cherries, and fried wanton things for croutons
Medditeranean couscous
more French baguette
and yet another superchared coke.

Yes, its a bit jumbled with foods from all over the place, but it was excellent none the less.

DSCN0638.jpg

French wild beasts were surounding me while I had my dinner. They were hungry, and agressive (also know as feral cats). After I got back from my shower, I realized left the rear hatch open on the jeep. I went to the back to close it when two of the cats jumped out of the back of my Jeep. I almost had to take another shower after that to say the least.

DSCN0637.jpg

Up to the living room for another show. This time it was a more proper adventure movie...:

DSCN0642.jpg

A great nights sleep, with no rain! Woke up around 8am, and made breakfast.

DSCN0643.jpg

Scrambled eggs w/ham, bacon, toast, and pancakes. A hungry mans breakfast. I am used to cooking for more than one and didnt want to waste any.... yeah. Thats my excuse.

On the road back home...

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

The only casualty of the trip was my oil guage in the Jeep. The sending unit must be clogged, because it was going haywire.

DSCN0652.jpg

It was a great trip all in all. It would have been nice to not have quite a smuch rain, but I did manage to make a list (longer than I would hav elike) of things that need to be fixed, modified, or purchased to enhance my camping trips for 2009. It never ends.
Thats all folks!

Last edited:

idaxj97

Adventurer
wow all i can say is i hope one day i will be able to do something like that. thanks for the report.

Zeero

Adventurer
Fantastic build-up man.

I love seeing guys like you just get into it and do it all themselves...building and designing and making it happen.

Nice clean work....enjoy it!!!

XXXpedition

Explorer
a question and a hint...
first off, i love the switch panel next to the gauges and some other mods but i don't just want to write too long ;-).

secondly the question:
i was always wondering about the steel ropes between roofrack and bull bar...
what are they actually for?

and the hint:
with all that weight on the roofrack i would recommend more support brackets. best to go with a flat steel running along the gutters and having the rack sit on those (like on some expedition defenders). the unibody doesn't like the punctual stress over time... (i learned it the hard way)

Zeero

Adventurer
Those "steel ropes" are actually called "Limb lifters" and the purpose is to "lift" and push away low hanging plantation and "limbs" from the windshield so you can see where you're going in thick vegetation. :)

They also help protect paintwork to a small degree.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier