Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Stumptaco's has gone over to the darkside..XJ style.

Quote Originally Posted by stumptaco
    hmm.... I always get into trouble when I list things I "want" to do to vehicles, but I will give it a go:

Many of the items will be coming over from the Taco.

Full length roof rack, HID hellas on front, just like the taco, space behind the lights for a few items, probably the size of Jerry Cans. Then at the very rear of the rack will be the RTT. I have the rack, but I will have to extend it and do some modifications to it, especially the mounting.

Front bumper and winch will be first, I am pretty sure it will be a tube/plate hybrid, and will have a stinger, about the size of the taco.

The rear bumper will be next, and will include a tire gate, Jerry can mounts, and possibly high lift mount, but it may go somewhere else.

Kick out sliders like the taco, once the unibody gets beefed up.

all my elecronice gizmos, fridge, cameras, TV monitors, DVD, Navgation, stereo (this thing still has the factory tape deck!), etc will come over.

I will be going with the Rubicon Express 5.5" Longarm kit, unless I can be talked into something different. I want longarm, but not a rediculous amout of lift (8 inches etc.) I will run the Cooper STT's in probably 33 inch size. I would run the 285/55's, but we have too much mud around here for an AT tire. I need the full mud terrains.

probably some soft 8 wheels, or I may just paint what I have.

I want to re-gear to 4.56's, and an ARB in the rear.

The interior will get a revamp as well, I will be building a custom dash area to house my switches, Scan Guage, and anything else out of machined Delrin plate. Also, the mud around here does not bode well with carpet, so that will most likely come out and get rhino lined on the inside, or atleast in the cargo area. Not sure if I am going to use a drawer system or just keep it open, but that will come once I get it all figured out.

Thats a pretty substantial list, and will most likely EAT most of my budget. I will be doing all of the wleding and fabricating myself, but steel over here in Europe is rediculously expensive, as well as most anything else. I will have to pay for the lift kit in euros and buy it from here as its too heavy to ship from the states, so that will eat about 3000 bucks, not to mention the ARB, Gears, SYE, Tires/wheels, and I am MAKING myself get a new Engel out of the deal Budget will non-existant after all that!

Cant wait to start on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~James

This will be a killer XJ! I look fwd to your progress.

You'll love the LongArm ride. I'v been through several suspensions on my XJ looking for one that wasnt a pita to drive distance on interstate.

What width are the Cooper 33's? The stock wheels could work with some minor rubbing on the lower arms with a narrow tire... or some spacers. But if your gonna invest... wheels would be a better option.

With 4:56's and the Automatic (AW-4) running a 33 you should see RPM's in the 2200 range at 65MPH. I get about 20 MPG on Interstate with this combo, some others have reported less.

I dont know the width of your RTT, but mine is 72" wide and takes ALL the roof area on my XJ. No way i could mount fuel/water in front.

Take a good look at the floor in your XJ, they are prone to rust when used in areas that salt the roads. If it spent time there you may need some minor repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple People Eater
    Did I miss the thread that explained why Toyota is buying your truck?
    My Toyota buildup thread is here, and I talked about it, but I often forget how big the board is now, and not everyone will have known about it.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5416

Here is a thread talking about why Toyota is buying them back. Its due to premature Frame rust resulting in large chunks of the frame caving in or falling off.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12850

~James

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
    This will be a killer XJ! I look fwd to your progress.

You'll love the LongArm ride. I'v been through several suspensions on my XJ looking for one that wasnt a pita to drive distance on interstate.

What width are the Cooper 33's? The stock wheels could work with some minor rubbing on the lower arms with a narrow tire... or some spacers. But if your gonna invest... wheels would be a better option.

With 4:56's and the Automatic (AW-4) running a 33 you should see RPM's in the 2200 range at 65MPH. I get about 20 MPG on Interstate with this combo, some others have reported less.

I dont know the width of your RTT, but mine is 72" wide and takes ALL the roof area on my XJ. No way i could mount fuel/water in front.

Take a good look at the floor in your XJ, they are prone to rust when used in areas that salt the roads. If it spent time there you may need some minor repairs.

Yeah, I have read nothing but mostly positive things about the long arm set-up. Hopefully it works out, it sure is pricey enough.

The Coopers.... well I am not sure what size I am going with exactly, I want a tall narrow tire, but not sure if I can find something in the STT to fit the bill.

Glad to hear you like the gear set-up, its what I think I will go with. I noticed today with the stockish size tires it turns about 2250 RPM at 75mph (just with the speedo/tacho, not a scan guage). I am not sure what gears I have currently, as I *THINK* this Jeep has the factory "tow package" and I read somewhere that it may have slightly lower gearing than the standard sport model with the auto/4.0L. Aside from actually looking at the gears, is there a code on the door jam somewhere that tells me what gearing it came with? The Toyota has this, but not sure about the Jeep. I know its one or the other ratios.

My RTT is a little smaller than yours, its ~ 60 inches wide. Its the two person model (maybe could squeeze in a small third, in pinch). I actually spent all day today building/modifying my old rack to how I wanted it to work on the Jeep. It is 82 inches long, and runs the entire length (literally) of the roof. I have it set-up to allow the RTT to be on the rear, and easily have enough room to zip on the cover, I have a basket area (raised sides) in front of that which will allow four Jerry cans, two on each side, and in front of that is my original light cage/mounting area for the Hella 4000's. I was lazy and didnt have the camera, but will have pics in a few days once it gets finalized. I didnt really want to hack up the old rack and extend it, but it was the cheapest/easiest solution. I just have to come up with a gutter mount system. I may build the mounts myself, as the gutter mounts I have seen are not cheap.

I havent figured out where the Jeep came from in the states yet, or how long its been here (we use salt here), but I did spend a few hours under it while it was on the lift. I noticed only very slight surface rust in the floor pan areas, both front rear, and I will be fixing that VERY soon, as I dont want a rust problem again. It should be an easy fix as it is, since its seems to be very light at least I hope! The rest of the underbody looks suprisingly well for a 12 year old truck.

Lots of work to do, so little time.

I am listening to any other areas to look for, keep it coming!

~James

4.0 with an auto (AW4) you should have 3.55's, unless the PO changed them.
    you can comfirm the gear ratio by looking at your rear axel. on the left side of your diff cover there should be a metal tag that will tell you your ratio. the tag will also tell you if you have a LSD.

I loved your toyota and can't wait to see what you do to the XJ.
    '06 Rubicon Unlimited

Thanks for that info Jackel, I will have to look at that area again. I dont remember seeing anything, but I could have missed it.

~James

James, take a look at Clayton's LongArm system. I believe it's a bit cheaper than RE while not sacrificing quality. http://www.claytonoffroad.com/ I met Clayton yesterday at NAXJA-NAC's annual event, the bushings he uses are MASSIVE. You could still use your choice of spring. I have the RE upper and lower arms with Claytons crossmember (RE was still a prototype) when i put the suspenion on my rig.

Take a close look on the pass side floorboard along the trans tunnel above the downpipe and where the catalytic convertor sits, prime area for rust through. I would also suggest a long weekend pulling the carpet and inspecting it from the inside, maybe Herculine/Durabak it while your at it. My rig has a few spots that need attention after 8 years in Pa.

I realize you have alot of reading to catch up on @ NAXJA to familiarize yourself but i'm betting two concerns you'll need to address shortly will be a cracked header at the collector and the oil filter adaptor o-rings. Very common issues as well.

Again.. welcome to the XJ world!

LOL... yeah, it has the typical exhaust leak sound that we are used to from the one we have in the states, I am assumiung this is at the collector area you are refering to? And..... there was oil spooge all around the oil filter area. Maybe the oring problem you speak of? I will do a search for this problem on NAXJA.

Thanks for the info on the suspension stuff, I have seen more an more guys making the lifts out of peices instead of buying the one whole kit. That may be my best bet, and will look into it when the time comes, thanks for the link.

I did read about the area above the cat, and mine appears to be ok from the underside, but the carpet is coming out this week, so I will be able to tell more pretty soon.

Thanks for the help! I will be picking your brain soon enough, hope thats ok!

~James

I've run that same set up for over a year now including the STT's Which I liked but get louder as they ware(most do). I did have a little problem though with highway speeds. When my speedo said 70 my gps would say 60 (stock speedo gear)and I was running closer to 2500 rpm's and when trying to get speed for a big hill I would turn 3k. So I just moved up to 34's a true 34 and it's a lot better on the highway. I'm still going about 5mph slower then speedo but it seems to be working the motor less. Oh and as for the LA If your going to wheel hard I would agree with Overland look at Clayton's I've seen them in action and Clayton is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
    James, take a look at Clayton's LongArm system.
    Haha, beat me to it. What I would do is buy the springs from RE and the Clayton LA kit seperately. It does require some welding but it's not too bad.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955537

Also, check out the Interco Trxus M/T for a tire; they're very well behaved on the road, last a long time, magical in snow and rule in the sloppy conditions you describe.

-----Matt-----

Clayton has THE best customer support of any XJ affiliated long arm kit. Like T&T their product(s) are overbuilt and can take the abuse. I ran their LA kit on my ZJ. But, with Clayton, you break it, they will replace it no questions asked. With T&T though, you could buy the stiffeners, LA kit, belly skid, and bumpers and they will give you a wonderful deal in the long run.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast