Stumptaco's has gone over to the darkside..XJ style.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Stumptaco has gone over to the darkside..XJ style.

The time has come for me to start the new thread showing my buildup of my recently acquired 1996 XJ. This is the vehicle I decided to replace my 98 Taco with since Toyota is buying it back.

I decided to BUY an XJ here instead of shipping ours over from the states (we have an identical one at my in-laws in Georgia) It was going to cost about $2,600 bucks just to get it shipped from my inlaws to Germany, so I couldnt really justify spending the money on a perfectly good daily driver jeep that is barely worth the cost to ship it over. So, we will keep the XJ we have in the states as it is much easier when we visit family and friends since we dont need to rent a car. I stumbled on a 1996 XJ sport at the local Auto Recycling Center here on the military base last week and put in a bid. Well, I found out Monday I had the high bid, so I went to check out the XJ a little more thoroughly. It has about 50,000 less miles than ours, and everything works perfectly.

The reason it was up for bid/didnt pass inspection?...... Right rear wheel cylinder was blown out and leaking, and the right front signal doesnt work. 15 dollars in parts, and she will be as good as new.

I took delivery of/paid for it on Monday, and had to wait until today (Friday) before I could register it with temps tags and until I get the wheel cylinder fixed. I thought it was a HECK of a deal, so I jumped on it. It was driving me crazy trying to decide what I wanted to do and which vehicle to buy. With the XJ, I had almost $9,000 bucks left over from the toyota buy back, so I am getting ready to order a huge amount of goodies to make it as close to the ultimate expedition/trail XJ as I can.

Mods will start very soon, firstly with my roof rack, lights and RTT on top as we have a camping trip to Finland on July 4th weekend.

Specs:
1996 Cherokee Sport
4.0Liter High Output
Automatic Tranny
NP 231 Transfer
Chrysler 29 spline 8.25 rear axle
Dana 30 in front
127,000 miles.

This is as stock as it will ever be. Took a little time today and cleaned it up.

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

Took about 2 hours in the engine area. I am anal about engine compartment cleanliness, probably from being a mechanic for about 10 years. This one was filthy, I should have done a before and after shot.

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

The truck it is replacing.

SS100280.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

Thanks, ~James

Last edited:

adrenaline503

Explorer
I hope part of your buget is for paint! ;) I had a 96Xj and it was pretty cool. I can't wait to see the build, 8k would go a loooong way. Do you plan to ship it back to the states at some point?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah dude... not sure what they were thinking with the teal. The color isnt exactly expo white, but it will get a re-vamp soon enough. Yep, if all goes well it will be coming home with us, and will be our trail/camping/expedition vehicle. I will daily drive the jeep we have in the states.

~James

adrenaline503

Explorer
I am seriously jealous, for that price you couldnt go wrong. I would reinforce the "frame" above the rear wheels sooner than later though. Is that a US spec one or a Euro one?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
adrenaline503 said:
I am seriously jealous, for that price you couldnt go wrong. I would reinforce the "frame" above the rear wheels sooner than later though. Is that a US spec one or a Euro one?

Its a US spec. It was owned by a Senior Master Seargent in the Air Force here, and I assume he is the one who brought it over. I will do a carfax report on it just to find the history later on.

Yeah, I have been reading for weeks over on the NAXJA site (just became a member), and have gotten familiar with the trouble areas. I will definitely be plating the unibody rails. I Put about 50 miles on it today just doing some around town stuff, and it didnt skip a beat, drove nice and straight, shifts good, has plenty of power, and no rattling or clunking. I think it was a good deal, and aside from the color, I am extremely happy with it.

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
OverlandXJ said:
James, nice platform! Best of luck with it.

Whats the plan for mods?

hmm.... I always get into trouble when I list things I "want" to do to vehicles, but I will give it a go:

Many of the items will be coming over from the Taco.

Full length roof rack, HID hellas on front, just like the taco, space behind the lights for a few items, probably the size of Jerry Cans. Then at the very rear of the rack will be the RTT. I have the rack, but I will have to extend it and do some modifications to it, especially the mounting.

Front bumper and winch will be first, I am pretty sure it will be a tube/plate hybrid, and will have a stinger, about the size of the taco.

The rear bumper will be next, and will include a tire gate, Jerry can mounts, and possibly high lift mount, but it may go somewhere else.

Kick out sliders like the taco, once the unibody gets beefed up.

all my elecronice gizmos, fridge, cameras, TV monitors, DVD, Navgation, stereo (this thing still has the factory tape deck!), etc will come over.

I will be going with the Rubicon Express 5.5" Longarm kit, unless I can be talked into something different. I want longarm, but not a rediculous amout of lift (8 inches etc.) I will run the Cooper STT's in probably 33 inch size. I would run the 285/55's, but we have too much mud around here for an AT tire. I need the full mud terrains.

probably some soft 8 wheels, or I may just paint what I have.

I want to re-gear to 4.56's, and an ARB in the rear.

The interior will get a revamp as well, I will be building a custom dash area to house my switches, Scan Guage, and anything else out of machined Delrin plate. Also, the mud around here does not bode well with carpet, so that will most likely come out and get rhino lined on the inside, or atleast in the cargo area. Not sure if I am going to use a drawer system or just keep it open, but that will come once I get it all figured out.

Thats a pretty substantial list, and will most likely EAT most of my budget. I will be doing all of the wleding and fabricating myself, but steel over here in Europe is rediculously expensive, as well as most anything else. I will have to pay for the lift kit in euros and buy it from here as its too heavy to ship from the states, so that will eat about 3000 bucks, not to mention the ARB, Gears, SYE, Tires/wheels, and I am MAKING myself get a new Engel out of the deal :victory: Budget will non-existant after all that!

Cant wait to start on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
JPFreek1 said:
Nice catch on the XJ; however, that Taco was freaking awesome!

Thanks man, it is in my driveway getting torn apart slowly. Its a painful process to say the least. Still dont know when Toyota is going to come pick it up.

~James

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
stumptaco said:
hmm.... I always get into trouble when I list things I "want" to do to vehicles, but I will give it a go:

Many of the items will be coming over from the Taco.

Full length roof rack, HID hellas on front, just like the taco, space behind the lights for a few items, probably the size of Jerry Cans. Then at the very rear of the rack will be the RTT. I have the rack, but I will have to extend it and do some modifications to it, especially the mounting.

Front bumper and winch will be first, I am pretty sure it will be a tube/plate hybrid, and will have a stinger, about the size of the taco.

The rear bumper will be next, and will include a tire gate, Jerry can mounts, and possibly high lift mount, but it may go somewhere else.

Kick out sliders like the taco, once the unibody gets beefed up.

all my elecronice gizmos, fridge, cameras, TV monitors, DVD, Navgation, stereo (this thing still has the factory tape deck!), etc will come over.

I will be going with the Rubicon Express 5.5" Longarm kit, unless I can be talked into something different. I want longarm, but not a rediculous amout of lift (8 inches etc.) I will run the Cooper STT's in probably 33 inch size. I would run the 285/55's, but we have too much mud around here for an AT tire. I need the full mud terrains.

probably some soft 8 wheels, or I may just paint what I have.

I want to re-gear to 4.56's, and an ARB in the rear.

The interior will get a revamp as well, I will be building a custom dash area to house my switches, Scan Guage, and anything else out of machined Delrin plate. Also, the mud around here does not bode well with carpet, so that will most likely come out and get rhino lined on the inside, or atleast in the cargo area. Not sure if I am going to use a drawer system or just keep it open, but that will come once I get it all figured out.

Thats a pretty substantial list, and will most likely EAT most of my budget. I will be doing all of the wleding and fabricating myself, but steel over here in Europe is rediculously expensive, as well as most anything else. I will have to pay for the lift kit in euros and buy it from here as its too heavy to ship from the states, so that will eat about 3000 bucks, not to mention the ARB, Gears, SYE, Tires/wheels, and I am MAKING myself get a new Engel out of the deal :victory: Budget will non-existant after all that!

Cant wait to start on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~James

This will be a killer XJ! I look fwd to your progress.

You'll love the LongArm ride. I'v been through several suspensions on my XJ looking for one that wasnt a pita to drive distance on interstate.

What width are the Cooper 33's? The stock wheels could work with some minor rubbing on the lower arms with a narrow tire... or some spacers. But if your gonna invest... wheels would be a better option.

With 4:56's and the Automatic (AW-4) running a 33 you should see RPM's in the 2200 range at 65MPH. I get about 20 MPG on Interstate with this combo, some others have reported less.

I dont know the width of your RTT, but mine is 72" wide and takes ALL the roof area on my XJ. No way i could mount fuel/water in front.

Take a good look at the floor in your XJ, they are prone to rust when used in areas that salt the roads. If it spent time there you may need some minor repairs.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Purple People Eater said:
Did I miss the thread that explained why Toyota is buying your truck?:confused:

My Toyota buildup thread is here, and I talked about it, but I often forget how big the board is now, and not everyone will have known about it.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5416

Here is a thread talking about why Toyota is buying them back. Its due to premature Frame rust resulting in large chunks of the frame caving in or falling off.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12850

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
OverlandXJ said:
This will be a killer XJ! I look fwd to your progress.

You'll love the LongArm ride. I'v been through several suspensions on my XJ looking for one that wasnt a pita to drive distance on interstate.

What width are the Cooper 33's? The stock wheels could work with some minor rubbing on the lower arms with a narrow tire... or some spacers. But if your gonna invest... wheels would be a better option.

With 4:56's and the Automatic (AW-4) running a 33 you should see RPM's in the 2200 range at 65MPH. I get about 20 MPG on Interstate with this combo, some others have reported less.

I dont know the width of your RTT, but mine is 72" wide and takes ALL the roof area on my XJ. No way i could mount fuel/water in front.

Take a good look at the floor in your XJ, they are prone to rust when used in areas that salt the roads. If it spent time there you may need some minor repairs.

Yeah, I have read nothing but mostly positive things about the long arm set-up. Hopefully it works out, it sure is pricey enough.

The Coopers.... well I am not sure what size I am going with exactly, I want a tall narrow tire, but not sure if I can find something in the STT to fit the bill.

Glad to hear you like the gear set-up, its what I think I will go with. I noticed today with the stockish size tires it turns about 2250 RPM at 75mph (just with the speedo/tacho, not a scan guage). I am not sure what gears I have currently, as I *THINK* this Jeep has the factory "tow package" and I read somewhere that it may have slightly lower gearing than the standard sport model with the auto/4.0L. Aside from actually looking at the gears, is there a code on the door jam somewhere that tells me what gearing it came with? The Toyota has this, but not sure about the Jeep. I know its one or the other ratios.

My RTT is a little smaller than yours, its ~ 60 inches wide. Its the two person model (maybe could squeeze in a small third, in pinch). I actually spent all day today building/modifying my old rack to how I wanted it to work on the Jeep. It is 82 inches long, and runs the entire length (literally) of the roof. I have it set-up to allow the RTT to be on the rear, and easily have enough room to zip on the cover, I have a basket area (raised sides) in front of that which will allow four Jerry cans, two on each side, and in front of that is my original light cage/mounting area for the Hella 4000's. I was lazy and didnt have the camera, but will have pics in a few days once it gets finalized. I didnt really want to hack up the old rack and extend it, but it was the cheapest/easiest solution. I just have to come up with a gutter mount system. I may build the mounts myself, as the gutter mounts I have seen are not cheap.

I havent figured out where the Jeep came from in the states yet, or how long its been here (we use salt here), but I did spend a few hours under it while it was on the lift. I noticed only very slight surface rust in the floor pan areas, both front rear, and I will be fixing that VERY soon, as I dont want a rust problem again. It should be an easy fix as it is, since its seems to be very light at least I hope! The rest of the underbody looks suprisingly well for a 12 year old truck.

Lots of work to do, so little time.

I am listening to any other areas to look for, keep it coming!

~James

Jackel18

4.0 with an auto (AW4) you should have 3.55's, unless the PO changed them.
you can comfirm the gear ratio by looking at your rear axel. on the left side of your diff cover there should be a metal tag that will tell you your ratio. the tag will also tell you if you have a LSD.

I loved your toyota and can't wait to see what you do to the XJ.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for that info Jackel, I will have to look at that area again. I dont remember seeing anything, but I could have missed it.

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles