Security while sleeping inside vehicle; Backup alarm sensor?

Eaglefreek

Eagleless

Haraald

Observer
Get a couple of these. https://www.radioshack.com/products/portable-motion-detector-alarm-chime?variant=11132456837

I have a couple and they work well. I glued magnets to them to stick to the car. View attachment 356774

Any of the infrared detectors will work for this. Its all abou how you have them aimed.
Example, that prior mentioned self contained thing from RadioShack.
To sense within your 6' range, the detector would simply need to be pointed to look downward rather than looking off into the distance.

Are you sure? If it works that would be a really awesome solution to my problem- just plug in some batteries and stick it to the vehicle! I was quoted $400-1000 to have a custom alarm system installed; this would be way better and not require any drilling or draining of my main battery bank. 90db would probably wake me up inside too. It could double as an alarm when I'm not at the vehicle too... why would anyone pay for those custom Viper security systems then?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
If you have to have such a thing, it would be simple to mount the Radio Shack devices angled downward to give whatever activation distance you want. Some flat aluminum stock from the big box hardware store could be bent to provide exactly the angle you want, and either mounted magnetically (front and rear) or simply hung from the partly-open window (sides).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW, what are you so afraid of that you need such a device? And as others have mentioned, simply get a dog, it will provide an alarm and companionship.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not trying to start a war here but if you have that much concern about the places you're camping maybe the solution is to camp somewhere else?
You stated that this was for "stealth" camping: Having an alarm is about as far away from being "stealthy" as it's possible to get. In fact, I would imagine that having such a system would only draw MORE negative attention to you.
Have you had some bad experience while camping that you would feel comfortable sharing? The "sketchiest" place I've ever stealth-camped was in the parking lot of the Wal Mart in Gallup, NM. I've "camped" there 3 times in 3 different vehicles. If you know Gallup, you know it doesn't have the greatest reputation and yet - I've never had an issue camping there. One time I had the dog with me and she slept peacefully right beside me (well, until she woke me up to go pee at 4am!) The rest of the times I was by myself. Nobody bothered me.

blackwood

Adventurer
The "sketchiest" place I've ever stealth-camped was in the parking lot of the Wal Mart in Gallup, NM. I've "camped" there 3 times in 3 different vehicles. If you know Gallup, you know it doesn't have the greatest reputation and yet - I've never had an issue camping there. One time I had the dog with me and she slept peacefully right beside me (well, until she woke me up to go pee at 4am!) The rest of the times I was by myself. Nobody bothered me.

Gallup was the first Walmart I ever slept in overnight, it was last year. I didn't have a problem sleeping there either. I've never seen so many Native Americans in my life until I walked inside that Walmart :)

Haraald

Observer
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not trying to start a war here but if you have that much concern about the places you're camping maybe the solution is to camp somewhere else?
You stated that this was for "stealth" camping: Having an alarm is about as far away from being "stealthy" as it's possible to get. In fact, I would imagine that having such a system would only draw MORE negative attention to you.
Have you had some bad experience while camping that you would feel comfortable sharing? The "sketchiest" place I've ever stealth-camped was in the parking lot of the Wal Mart in Gallup, NM. I've "camped" there 3 times in 3 different vehicles. If you know Gallup, you know it doesn't have the greatest reputation and yet - I've never had an issue camping there. One time I had the dog with me and she slept peacefully right beside me (well, until she woke me up to go pee at 4am!) The rest of the times I was by myself. Nobody bothered me.

If we're talking about exterior alarms when the vehicle is unattended, I did consider the possibility that an alarm might make things worse... all it does is confirm for the thief that the vehicle is unattended. Maybe an artificial dog bark alarm in conjunction with a single horn beep/light flash would be better because it would seem like the owner is pressing their key nearby (and there's an angry dog inside). Worst case scenario is I'd get attention from people worried about the 'dog' inside if it's hot.

The alarm I want though is interior, for inside my truck, to wake ME up if someone's approaching. As much as it's always been my dream to get a greyhound or Azawakh, I have mild allergies and my truck sleeping area isn't much bigger than a coffin... plus I like to sleep with fairly loud fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior