Jeep Pickup pics

Jason911

Adventurer
If you look at the 2002 Dodge M80 concept pictured on page 1, and you look past the 90's inspired styling; there is some sort of appeal of/for that simpler "truck". 2 door cab, basic bed, basic 4 wheel drive...yes, a lot of us say we would buy that in a heartbeat, shut up and take my money....but in volume terms, would it appeal to a mass market that prefers 4 doors, opulence of interior space for more "stuff" and the accompanying creature comforts/luxury - all the while not scavenging sales from other pre-existing products of a manufactures portfolio. (re-reading this, WOW what a long run on sentence).

Much to the point of what AEV says, some people just don't like diesel; be it the stigmatism attached from "dirty diesels" to the often cited botched GM '80's diesels to the latest VW goof. But to their credit, some buyers do prefer diesel for the huge benefits; range of fuel economy, gobs of torque at basically idle, minimal maintenance(but now with the added complexity of SCR/DEF exhaust after-treatment). I know AEVDave tried to make a business case for the VM 2.8L engine swap, but economics of scale and return on investment negated that. In this country, gas engines are the volume(money makers), but there is just enough of a demand for diesels that some auto manufactures offer them. It will be interesting to see what plays out with this when it is (actually) released.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I just want this one.

13668974_1085706308180234_3320375617498098264_n.jpg

ZMagic97

Explorer
I've owned trucks and Jeeps. If I were in the market, I would have to as myself: why would I buy a Jeep truck over any other established line of trucks?

Just a thought and conversation starter.

2drx4

Adventurer
I've owned trucks and Jeeps. If I were in the market, I would have to as myself: why would I buy a Jeep truck over any other established line of trucks?

Just a thought and conversation starter.

The other current offerings of light trucks are, umm, how do you say it... Junk?

Okay, they drive nice, most of them are overgrown and huge, and have rated payload capacities of older 3/4 ton trucks. But most of them are very lackluster offroad, and like I said, huge.

I used to DD a Comanche. I found another one to put back together for that actually, just gotta get to it. However, they work really well, light, tough, good power, excellent offroad prowess, and they're small enough to fit anywhere short of Suzuki/quad territory, while still maintaining a payload capacity that is useful for the average user that doesn't need a HD pickup or the headaches that go with it.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
The other current offerings of light trucks are, umm, how do you say it... Junk?

Okay, they drive nice, most of them are overgrown and huge, and have rated payload capacities of older 3/4 ton trucks. But most of them are very lackluster offroad, and like I said, huge.

I used to DD a Comanche. I found another one to put back together for that actually, just gotta get to it. However, they work really well, light, tough, good power, excellent offroad prowess, and they're small enough to fit anywhere short of Suzuki/quad territory, while still maintaining a payload capacity that is useful for the average user that doesn't need a HD pickup or the headaches that go with it.

Excellent points, and I also agree with the above. I think Jeep was smart to stay out of the very competitive full size market, and offering it on the Wrangler chassis should put a small 4x4 pickup back in the market. Ever since Toyota dumped the single cabs everything is huge......And to have that SMALL uncompromising 4x4 (praise solid axles) that you can also run to Lowes in and buy lumber is awesome.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I parked my 2003 f150 next to a new dodge 2500 the other day, my f150 looked like a ranger next to it, however I had at least 4" if not more height at the front bumper. Everything is so damn low to the ground to try to increase gas milage. the new chev 4x4 Silverado is lower than my mazda 5 was.

I am in the market to replace my JK in the next year or so, I figure 250k, its time to get a new one.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Definitely. Once people experience the Hemi it's hard for them to get back in their V6. I had numerous people offer to engine swap at a Jeep Fest last weekend (I was in a JK350 with 6.4L Hemi). Not only that but I believe some people just plain old don't care for diesel. The 5.7L puts out 375lbs and the 6.4L over 400lbs. It's hard to beat the rumble of a beefy V8.

Sort of off topic, but....hopfully you can answer this, the 5.7 jk350. gas mileage close to the 3.6? I ask this for range purposes. How far can you go on a tank of gas in a 5.7l equipped JK350. with 35's and geared correctly. My JK is getting long in the tooth so to speak and I think its getting replaced with a 5.7 JK...or maybe brute.

chasespeed

Explorer
Another thought if I may...

This is going to be marketed as a truck? Or a utility?
Are they(FCA), going to treat it just like the JK(U), and it's current demographic of soccer moms, bolt on royalty, etc, and offer tiny axles, with an upgrade to marginal at best axles? Or treat it like something that is going to be USED? I ant see the the 35 or JK44 holding up to any serious loading. They're just too light to meet CAFE standards....

Not saying they should be equipped with 60s or anything, just, something better than what it comes with. Unless, of course......

Personally, a well built small/midsize truck/Jeep, that can haul a little cargo w/o a trailer, and seat my family of 5, is certainly on my radar. But, they're going to ask an astronomical amount for it, and it has to be worth it...

Chase

GetOutThere

Adventurer

Are they(FCA), going to treat it just like the JK(U), and it's current demographic of soccer moms, bolt on royalty, etc, and offer tiny axles, with an upgrade to marginal at best axles? Or treat it like something that is going to be USED? I ant see the the 35 or JK44 holding up to any serious loading. They're just too light to meet CAFE standards....

Not saying they should be equipped with 60s or anything, just, something better than what it comes with. Unless, of course......

Personally, a well built small/midsize truck/Jeep, that can haul a little cargo w/o a trailer, and seat my family of 5, is certainly on my radar. But, they're going to ask an astronomical amount for it, and it has to be worth it...

Chase

We may be becoming a two Jeep family, and my questions are along the same line. I don't want this to be essentially a JK with a bed. It better serve as an actual truck, AND as a Jeep.

Demanding? Maybe. But I realy hope they don't half *** this thing.

2drx4

Adventurer

Chase

If they went to larger/heavier tube axles there would be very limited room for complaint about them, IMHO, at least if they're using the Rubicon versions, as they are a lot stronger than what was typically offered in prior light trucks otherwise. Better knuckles/Cs and wheel bearings would also be nice, but there's a limit to what can be packaged. It's not like you NEED full floating axles and 10" ring gears for a light truck.

jpat30

Adventurer
My fear is that Jeep is going to screw this up. They are only going to offer it in a double cab and there will be no base model. You are going to have to buy one with leather, heated and cooled seats/steering wheel, nav, etc.... I truly believe that there is an untapped market for a small offroad capable reg cab truck with a decent bed. Something you can throw a cooler in and head to the lake for the weekend or drive it to Lowes to pick up lumber. That's not what we are going to get.....but there is that market. oh well; here's to keeping hope alive!

2drx4

Adventurer
My fear is that Jeep is going to screw this up. They are only going to offer it in a double cab and there will be no base model. You are going to have to buy one with leather, heated and cooled seats/steering wheel, nav, etc.... I truly believe that there is an untapped market for a small offroad capable reg cab truck with a decent bed. Something you can throw a cooler in and head to the lake for the weekend or drive it to Lowes to pick up lumber. That's not what we are going to get.....but there is that market. oh well; here's to keeping hope alive!

Oh, absolutely I believe they will screw it up.

I even told the local dealer that if I could order the JK I wanted, I would do it, no hesitation, and they just say "It can't be done." And all I wanted was the Rubi axles/tcase/suspension, the low gears for those axles (4.10), an auto trans, and everything else base (and a hardtop, but that isn't a deal killer). Nope, no way. Fine, I'll stick with the one I have, and probably stick with it for the next 10+ years. But is it really that hard to give the customer what they want? Especially on a vehicle they're ordering? When it's all stuff that's already on the assembly line? Apparently it is if you're FCA.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I suspect it will only be a double cab unfortunately - it will be a "sport truck" type vehicle. What will be funny to see is if there develops a market to convert them from double cabs into single cabs with a flatbed on back... sort of the reverse of the Brute conversion.

If it has a decent load rating/GVWR that would be progress in my book. Being able to carry four people and all the stuff for a camping trip without a trailer would be nice! Also if it can tow a 5000lb trailer that would be progress as well.

Here's hoping!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
And all I wanted was the Rubi axles/tcase/suspension, the low gears for those axles (4.10), an auto trans, and everything else base (and a hardtop, but that isn't a deal killer). Nope, no way. Fine, I'll stick with the one I have, and probably stick with it for the next 10+ years. But is it really that hard to give the customer what they want? Especially on a vehicle they're ordering? When it's all stuff that's already on the assembly line? Apparently it is if you're FCA.

You can just buy a base model and add the Rubicon parts to it - much of the parts are pretty easy to source on Craigslist from people upgrading their Rubicons. It will be cheaper too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94