What do we like for storage boxes?

smlobx

Wanderer
I am building my expedition trailer for us to tow behind our truck camper on longer trips where we may be out of civilization for a few weeks at a time and I would like to "compartmentalize" the area by storing items in 4-6 boxes.

I'm not interested in spending several hundred dollars per box but rather looking for some heavy duty plastic bins with vertical sides. Ideally they would be between 12 and 15 inches tall.

What have you found?
Thanks!

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
plano heavy-duty footlocker style boxes and action packers make up most of my boxes, but that's just making do with what I have - If I had to plan it and purchase purposefully, I would go with some military surplus boxes and pelican cases for any sensitive items.

Rando

Explorer
These look like a great option that I had not seen before. Very reasonably priced and a huge range of sizes. Thanks for the heads up.

As a side note on pelican/hardigg type cases - I must have a dozen or more of these that I use at work for shipping extremely expensive instrumentation to the ends of the earth. This is the application they are designed for, and they work well for this. However I would never dream of using these to load regular equipment into my adventure mobile! They are extremely expensive, really heavy, and have a very inefficient use of space. I budget 20 -40% of my weight and volume budget just for the equipment cases when using hardigg cases to transport stuff. Ignore those 'expo-cool' tendencies, unless you plan on carrying a mass-spec or a telescope on your next back country adventure they are not the right tool for the job.

I have been using divided plastic boxes with lids from here - http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/bins-totes-containers

These are the various boxes - http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/bins-totes-containers/dividable-grid

Cheap, strong, lids are weather resistant, and they come many sizes and colors

Last edited:

Wirebrush

Observer
Husky brand contractor job boxes. Much better than any of the bins I've found and no more expensive. Home depot carries them. Heavy duty latches, rubber seal to keep out water and dust, built in keyed lock, wheels and extendable handle, and only about $60 for a 50 gallon size.

Biscuit141

I have been looking at various boxes in search of a good fit to keep in the bed of my truck with some extra equipment to keep out of the cab. I really like the Stanley 28" FatMax tool box. It's longer than most of those tool boxes but is pretty open inside and made of structural foam for durability. It is also weathertight if that is important.

Then the cheap side of me says just to get one of the Home Depot black and yellow 27 gallon storage totes. They seem to be well received for a cheap yet heavy duty tote bin.

jeep670

Adventurer
4d85761e8e514415220979a142d45fda.jpg

Plano from walmart. 13" tall. They stack nicely and can hold a person's weight easy.
The flat ikea one is perfect for shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles