NPR radiator and intercooler capacity and upgrade?

javajoe79

Fabricator
With the larger cummins engine in my rig does anyone have an opinion on the capability of the stock radiator and intercooler to manage the heat from the Cummins? Is there a common upgrade for either unit? I could easily come up with custom solutions but I would like to keep these items as off the shelf parts.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Anyone? I get nothing when I search for NPR intercooler or radiator upgrade. This place always surprises me though.

javajoe79

Fabricator
From reading up on it, it seems like the stock intercooler is more than capable so I think I'll be ok. Does anyone know which NPR had the bigger intercooler? Seems like there are a few sizes

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I swapped out a EFI 460 for a 6BT Cummins in my 89 FERD Class A and used a Radiator and Intercooler from a Ford 700 MDT. You may not have the room as the intercooler and radiator are as big as a barn door.

But Shop around! I have a new ISZU 4HK1t intercooler and it's tiny compared to the one I put in the Motorcoach.

If you had room for an FZR intercooler that would be the way to go.
But it may not fit. Not sure!

Unfortunitly, My manuals don't show dimensions.

Intrcoolers and Radiators come in a large variety of sizes.
The biggerst obstacle will be the cost.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I have the intercooler that goes with the 6BT out of a box truck. It almost fits between the frame and isn't much different in size compared to stock NPR, its just configured differently. I have a friend with another NPR parts truck and I will be robbing parts off of it. It will be the easiest approach to try the stock units as they will just bolt right in. With some local "stress" testing once I have it road worthy I can test the intercooler temperature and pressure drop and go from there. As for the radiator, if stock NPR won't do it, I can always order a plain core, thicker than stock and fabricate end tanks to fit. Same for the intercooler. I may also consider an air to water intercooler setup as I have some components lying around but I would prefer less complexity so......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior