DIY ARB FRIDGE/FREEZER INSULATED COVER

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Ok folks this is going to be my next documented project. I recently ordered the ARB FRIDGE/FREEZER but didn't want to pay the 130 bucks for the insulated cover. So, I decided to make one myself. Be sure and subscribe to this thread, and my other threads, for updates. I plan is to start on this tomorrow. Stay tuned.

037.jpg

97kurt

Adventurer
I forgot how expensive those covers are. Had a bear put a small rip in my engel 45 last year.

Sub'd

boyfester

Observer
I have a Dometic fridge/freezer of similar size and shape so I'm definitely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rutdigger

Watch This!
I have a Dometic fridge/freezer of similar size and shape so I'm definitely interested.

You can actually use what I'm going to show everyone on anything. I will show everyone how to pattern and sew it together, once you get the hang patterning everything else is pretty easy if you have a heavy duty sewing machine. The old Singers are perfect for this kind of stuff. This should be a good project with darts and multiple curves.

boyfester

Observer
You can actually use what I'm going to show everyone on anything. I will show everyone how to pattern and sew it together, once you get the hang patterning everything else is pretty easy if you have a heavy duty sewing machine. The old Singers are perfect for this kind of stuff. This should be a good project with darts and multiple curves.

Cool!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Patterning

Alright...got some work done this morning. I got the base patterned out.

So what you are going to need is outer material, double sided tape, marker, scissors, your choice of insulation and patterning material. In this case I am using duraskim.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Next apply your double sided tape to all the edges that you will need to sew together and where you will have an outer edge. You are basically tracing the outline of the object you are patterning.

010.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

Its hard to see but once you have everything outlined you need to take your marker and place indexing dots on all corners and some periodically down the run of the tape. This will allow you to line up your fabric later on.

014.jpg

Next take your patterning material and place it on your double sided tape. The goal is to create a smooth surface without wrinkles. So you might have to reposition that material a few times. For instance in this pic you will see that on first try I had it lined up very well..

016.jpg

But in this pic you see that the bottom was off. You can't have "off"....

017.jpg

So you can see in this pic I re-positioned and now I have some overhang, and that is ok...

020.jpg

On the bottom edge you can see that it is rounded. So you will have to create something called a "dart"...It is basically just pinching out the excess material...

018.jpg

Continued.....

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Continued...

019.jpg

THIS IS IMPORTANT: BEFORE you pull your patterns off you need to transfer the indexing dots onto the patterning material. You will later transfer them to the material to be sewn. The goal to all this is to get a smooth tight surface with the indexing dots. This will ensure the the final product will look formed to the object...OH, and mark your sides and the direction of front, rear, up, down, etc. So you know where everything is.

022.jpg

025.jpg

On the rear of this fridge I outlined some areas that I wanted to include but wont use insulation in these areas. These areas will basically be to just add support and structure to the cover.

027.jpg

You do the bottom the same way you did all four sides...

026.jpg

Once you have all your patterns lay them out and draw lines thru the center of your indexing dots. Then on the outter edge of the dots add 1/2" for a seam allowance. This is the part that you will sew. You will double stitch and seam beginning along the dots then in the 1/2" section you allowed.

I like to draw my seam allowance line also. You can see in this pic the patterns are laid out and the seam lines drawn. Next step is to transfer to the material and cut the insulation for the inside.

029.jpg

I will get to that this weekend. Have to button things up on the awning first.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Ok so I got a little bit more done on the cover.

Take your pattern and transfer it to your fabric. Turn the pattern inside out along with your fabric.

bca7e6242fbe282cf63d8a224ccc90bd.jpg

f9d6de388ebdc9ef0eefcb6760d2103e.jpg

Do that to two pieces of fabric. You are going to sandwich the insulation.

Transfer the pattern to the insulation but cut it out a smidge smaller than the DOT line.

22ed93f20f4f7de1f4edbef0f3d5f516.jpg

02707c2b97c026c95e7252cd680a8ab0.jpg

Take your double sided tape and outline the edge where the insulation will be.

f07cf54f0979e6799057cd6f240a2766.jpg

e24e1e1dc61e8bf03f972f29626bb841.jpg

Baste your insulation to the tape then put more tape on top of the insulation and baste your other pattern on top. The result will be a sandwich between the to pieces of fabric.

c03dc745c061fc17d4ef6d8ddadbb6be.jpg

9ad86dba0396b41ebec83734059b2577.jpg

This will keep everything in place as you sew it.

Next sew around the outter edge of the insulation and a few down the center.

86f8e5fbd240684fcdb2eb08ff86f108.jpg

d5a4b1d073d320c7e1e31926177beb2f.jpg

Now you have made the bottom panel. Continue doing this to the other four sides until you have 5 panels in all. This will take care of the bottom and the sides. I am almost done with making the panels, once i'm done I'll show you how to sew them together.

Sent from my spy phone
Www.tonysjeep.com

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
How big of a machine are you sewing it on? I wonder if my Singer Heavy Duty could handle something like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94