Haming it up finally

joelbert

Adventurer
I just decided this last week that getting into HAM radio ties into my camping and some of my other dreams. Planning on studying and getting at least the first two levels. Planning on the first level by the end of 3Q16.

Found several links that look really useful:
http://tinhatranch.com/how-to-get-your-ham-radio-license-in-7-days/
http://tinhatranch.com/optimizing-gmrs-communications-the-midland-micromobile-mtx-100/
https://hamstudy.org/

This seems to be the go to book on Amazon for all the knowledge: The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual

I haven't gotten any gear yet.

Roswell, GA

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
First thing, it's not an acronym. Ham radio, not HAM radio. ;^)

Good luck, the Technicians license is easier to get than most people think, the General and Extra licenses are harder to get than people think.
I work in an RF software development lab --- I studied on a Thurs/Fri for a couple of hours for the general license and took the test on a Saturday.
The extra is the tough one. That makes my head hurt.

Really all you need for the tickets is: http://ham-cram.com/index.php
Then take the tests a few times 'til you're passing consistently: http://www.eham.net/exams/

I've been listening to Cherokee County SO and FD dispatch, John. It's great to know where there's an accident or fire ahead of time and avoid the snafu in traffic.
Just google your county frequencies.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I have the same radio, John. I can lend you the dongle and disc to program it ---- or maybe I'll just put my program on a thumb drive for you if you want?
There are a few good repeaters around that are easy to reach, 146.52, 145.000 (SAR K9), 146.55 (SEES), 146.46/146.56/146.66 ---- the ExPo go-to simplex channels, and I can program all the Cherokee County EMS dispatch frequencies...
Here are crams: http://ham-cram.com/index.php

Good job, sir.
Tennmogger has a radio trailer that he brings out when we camp and he's got some nifty HF gear. I got on a 40 net and was chatting with ExPo people I haven't seen in years.

If you're ever in a bind, there's a guy named John (N4AOW) on 146.52 VERY often that will make a phone call for you. Nice guy and always remembers your call sign.

Time, frequency, call sign of your contact, whatever else you're into.
I started a log but I found it a little too dangerous to talk, write, and shift gears in the Jeep. I'm still having trouble remembering the call too ---- names are easier.

Hey Bill,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from the lake. Anita and I took the dog to Stamp Creek. He actually went swimming voluntarily for the first time in 9 years. I guess he's finally over the trauma from jumping in the pool when he was a puppy. We were in shock. Anyway, the beer was cold, the air was hot and the lake was in between. At least the bugs weren't bad. They have to spray that place, ya think?

Thanks for the information. I don't see those listed in the repeater index I have. Do they require special tones, offsets, etc. or are they all simplex?

Congrats to all you guys. It can be pretty addictive especially at first. I'm now back to the point where I started at, using my skills and equipment at volunteer events as a communicator and as an adjunct to my volunteer EMT gigs. A lot of events, particularly those in the boonies use Ham operators for their communication needs.

It's a great way to get some very practical usage as well as learn how to be a more effective communicator.

The log that was asked about is typically something that a HF operator would use to track their contacts. Not normally used on the UHF/VHF bands.

I thought so, but wanted to make sure. I don't want the FCC to have an excuse to gig me if they do some kind of check up. I'm in construction so I have a nervous twitch when it comes to government over watch...OSHA and GSFIC + others.

I just decided this last week that getting into HAM radio ties into my camping and some of my other dreams. Planning on studying and getting at least the first two levels. Planning on the first level by the end of 3Q16.

Found several links that look really useful:
http://tinhatranch.com/how-to-get-your-ham-radio-license-in-7-days/
http://tinhatranch.com/optimizing-gmrs-communications-the-midland-micromobile-mtx-100/
https://hamstudy.org/

This seems to be the go to book on Amazon for all the knowledge: The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual

I haven't gotten any gear yet.

Roswell, GA

Get a handheld and listen in. I had no idea they had world wide repeater linking and some of the other stuff I'm finding out about. There are some really smart folks out there discussing some really cool topics too. It ain't just old men giving weather reports...LOL.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hey Bill,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from the lake. Anita and I took the dog to Stamp Creek. He actually went swimming voluntarily for the first time in 9 years. I guess he's finally over the trauma from jumping in the pool when he was a puppy. We were in shock. Anyway, the beer was cold, the air was hot and the lake was in between. At least the bugs weren't bad. They have to spray that place, ya think?

Thanks for the information. I don't see those listed in the repeater index I have. Do they require special tones, offsets, etc. or are they all simplex?
All of the Cherokee County frequencies have PL tones and offsets and are on commercial repeaters (that we can listen on but not transmit). The ones I listed are simplex.

When we're doing a SEES event, we're on 146.55.
Most ExPo related events I've been to have been 146.46. Some also use .56 and .66

I've been able to talk to Bob (Tennmogger) from here in Alpharetta to his farm in Greenback TN on the repeater in Jasper, 146.805 +600 PL 100. So that's our go-to repeater for camping all around the Springer Mountain area.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
All of the Cherokee County frequencies have PL tones and offsets and are on commercial repeaters (that we can listen on but not transmit). The ones I listed are simplex.

When we're doing a SEES event, we're on 146.55.
Most ExPo related events I've been to have been 146.46. Some also use .56 and .66

I've been able to talk to Bob (Tennmogger) from here in Alpharetta to his farm in Greenback TN on the repeater in Jasper, 146.805 +600 PL 100. So that's our go-to repeater for camping all around the Springer Mountain area.

Okay,

Sounds good. I have them all programmed in and will be monitoring. I have to get a better antenna for the FT-60. I'm in a hole at the house & office and can't hear diddly with it right now. I can see myself putting something in the attic or on the roof before it's all over with.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We'll be at Mile High for Labor Day, John. People go up there just to transmit. QRP people.
I've met a number of Hams in that area, chatted, one guy came to Mt Pisgah with his family and joined us by the fire for some wine.
Not sure if they have open sites but it would be a good place to get your feet wet.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
We'll be at Mile High for Labor Day, John. People go up there just to transmit. QRP people.
I've met a number of Hams in that area, chatted, one guy came to Mt Pisgah with his family and joined us by the fire for some wine.
Not sure if they have open sites but it would be a good place to get your feet wet.

I'm number five on the waiting list. I doubt 5 will cancel, but maybe.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm number five on the waiting list. I doubt 5 will cancel, but maybe.
Some of the sites are quite large and can hold more than one trailer. I'll start a thread in the SEES area and see where everyone is located. My site and Rory's are smallish but with very good views. But some of the others are huge.
They don't charge for sharing a site unless you have more than 6 people total. They're quite liberal with pricing.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Some of the sites are quite large and can hold more than one trailer. I'll start a thread in the SEES area and see where everyone is located. My site and Rory's are smallish but with very good views. But some of the others are huge.
They don't charge for sharing a site unless you have more than 6 people total. They're quite liberal with pricing.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Actually I'm really happy to see a trend for ham radio usage in this community. It's a perfect fit, we do more sophisticated traveling than the typical off road park rock crawling wheelers, so we likewise need more sophisticated comms.

In the Midwest Overland Society, with CBs we were having trouble communicating between the front and rear of the groups if we got spread out on a dusty road. So we have gone to 2M now...not sure how sophisticated it is, but it sure works better.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Tomorrow is the big day! I've been drilling for a few hours now and I'm consistently passing both Tech and General. I'll be glad when this is over!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Tomorrow is the big day! I've been drilling for a few hours now and I'm consistently passing both Tech and General. I'll be glad when this is over!
Good luck.

I'll put my radio on 146.805 +600 PL-100 (repeater in Jasper) on the way home today around 4:00-4:30 and holler for you.
...if the old-timers aren't on there chewing rags and debating coax brands...

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Good luck.

I'll put my radio on 146.805 +600 PL-100 (repeater in Jasper) on the way home today around 4:00-4:30 and holler for you.
...if the old-timers aren't on there chewing rags and debating coax brands...

I take the test at 6:30 and if I pass I'll have to wait about 10 days to be official. Assuming I don't have a brain fart and fail the damn thing...I'll go into hiding.

I know those old guys you're talking about. I feel like I know them, their families, doctors, auto mechanics, tree trimmers, naval communication history from WW1 on up. :)

I'll post in here tonight whatever the outcome...see ya.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I take the test at 6:30 and if I pass I'll have to wait about 10 days to be official. Assuming I don't have a brain fart and fail the damn thing...I'll go into hiding.

I know those old guys you're talking about. I feel like I know them, their families, doctors, auto mechanics, tree trimmers, naval communication history from WW1 on up. :)

I'll post in here tonight whatever the outcome...see ya.
You'll pass. You're an electrician, dammit. You got it in the bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier