Haming it up finally

LR Max

Local Oaf
Dumb question: which Jasper repeater are y'all using? I'm still figuring this all out.

With the diamond antenna I bought for my hand held, I'm having reception issues when I'm in my house. However when I am outside, I can pick up the downtown atlanta repeater.

Next week I'll probably do a hike to the top of stone mountain. Will try to hit the Jasper repeater then. Would be cool to call up to Jasper from Stone Mountain with a handheld.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Dumb question: which Jasper repeater are y'all using? I'm still figuring this all out.

With the diamond antenna I bought for my hand held, I'm having reception issues when I'm in my house. However when I am outside, I can pick up the downtown atlanta repeater.

Next week I'll probably do a hike to the top of stone mountain. Will try to hit the Jasper repeater then. Would be cool to call up to Jasper from Stone Mountain with a handheld.

146.805 +offset with 100hz PL tone. It is the KC4AQS repeater by call sign. Depending on your location and elevation, you have a good shot at hitting this repeater from many locations as far south as LaGrange from what I understand. Let us know if you get in from Stone Mountain.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
146.805 +offset with 100hz PL tone. It is the KC4AQS repeater by call sign. Depending on your location and elevation, you have a good shot at hitting this repeater from many locations as far south as LaGrange from what I understand. Let us know if you get in from Stone Mountain.
That repeater is great for camping/wheeling all over north Georgia. I'm able to talk to Tenmogger from my office in Alpharetta up to his farm in Greenback TN on it.

I did a little mountain-topping from Jay Bird's hills over the weekend. Talked to N4AOW up in TN on 52. Not a huge distance but it was clear as a bell. MAP

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah I'm having trouble hitting the repeater next to my house. Either my HT is crap, the CHIRP settings are crap, or I'm just completely useless. I've tried to raise anyone on the repeaters, but nothing.

And yes, I did walk up the street and had line-of-sight to the repeater...literally I could see the repeater. I would think that even with the rubber ducky, 8 watts would be plenty to hit it. I'm still in the early stages of all of this, and I'd like to make my current equipment work before any further investments.

Probably need to find someone local to have a beer with, sit down, and chat.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah I'm having trouble hitting the repeater next to my house. Either my HT is crap, the CHIRP settings are crap, or I'm just completely useless. I've tried to raise anyone on the repeaters, but nothing.

And yes, I did walk up the street and had line-of-sight to the repeater...literally I could see the repeater. I would think that even with the rubber ducky, 8 watts would be plenty to hit it. I'm still in the early stages of all of this, and I'd like to make my current equipment work before any further investments.

Probably need to find someone local to have a beer with, sit down, and chat.
Which one are you trying to hit? I can hit Jasper from my house in Canton with 5 watts on my HT.
You might be trying to hit a repeater that's down or you might have your offset in the wrong direction, wrong pl, etc.

LR Max

Local Oaf
So a bit of an update. I was out in Dekalb county and extremely close to the Stone mountain repeater (W4BOC). I was able to transmit and receive successfully. So at least I know my cheapo radio works and CHRIP works.

Normally I try to hit the midtown repeater, W4DOC. That is pretty close to me. But it seems like the Buckhead repeater (WB4RTH) seems to be the more popular repeater around here. With the HT, I don't think I can hit the Buckhead repeater from my house, just too many obstacles in the way.

Overall I'm going to get a magnet mount for this radio. I'm mainly using it while in the car and on the way home from work.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Good point. I've got 146.82 programmed in. I might go ahead and program the 2nd one in, see which one actually works and has traffic on it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Max --- I just hit the Bank of America and Buckhead repeaters with no problem from Old Milton in Alpharetta. Had a good qso with a Kennesaw sation on the Buckhead and Avondale Estates station on the BOA Tower.

I think your radio is wonky...
Good wheeling around and playing radios with you the other day though. Need John to come out now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94