Haming it up finally

johnspark

Ramblin Man
So I got a Technician Class study guide and a Kenwood TM-281A mobile unit. I've picked a test date of 8/22/16 to shoot for and now I'm studying like a school child again. :violent-smiley-031:

I don't know diddly about Ham, but I do know that the jacknapes on CB channel 6 and 11 are killing it for me. What good is a scan feature that can't lock out those knuckleheads? Don't answer that...:snorkel:

I did the install on the radio today and it works...well, the lights come on. That's as far as I got. I haven't any idea how to program it yet and I already know that I forgot to get the programming cable. Bummer, cause the HRO is all the way over on Buford Hwy. I downloaded the programming software and at least will have that filled out before long.

Anyone got any tips on what to tackle first with this new adventure I've begun? Edit ti add..I've read all the stickies up top. Good stuff.

Some help getting a completed program for my radio for the Atlanta, GA. area might be useful. I haven't tried to google it yet since I don't have the license yet, but anything helps. :D

Last edited:
Right there with you. Took my test last Saturday and now anxiously awaiting my call sign. Just kept doing the practice tests till I had it embedded, had a good understanding of most of it to begin with it was easy (I'm in the low voltage contracting world so a lot was every day stuff to me).

Recently realized I needed to really improve my comms in the vehicles, mobile phones only work to a certain point, more layers are always a better solution. From that stand point I'm jumping in head first. Installing both a CB and VHF/UHF in the truck to start, getting the feel and it's used for the long haul road trip stuff. For the VHF/UHF I just got a Kenwood D710 (might as well start with something way more capable than my knowledge). I'm really interested in APRS and am looking forward to getting that set up. That way kids/friends can track our location, etc, lots of neat things along those lines. Because we have a Hallmark camper, I'm limited to mounting the antennas on the fenders. Driver side mount was easy, took a lot of searching to find a passenger side mount (2012 F350). I only found 1 place that made them, located in Kelowna, BC (West Crystal) but they don't have any retail sales. They hooked me up though, very helpful.

I also picked up a little Baofeng hand talkie, I'll use that in the Jeep to start with and it's easy (and cheap) to play around with.

You only need a license to transmit, listen in and play around with the radio to find other hams. Check out http://www.radioreference.com/ for repeater info in your area. Also probably quite a few ham clubs in your area too (they'll be the ones hosting your test) they're always interested in helping new people into the fold

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Great website! That's what I was looking for! Thanks!

I sprung for a magnetic mount antenna and just plopped it down on the hood and ran the coax in through the fire wall boot. I turned it on this morning and found the weather stations were working. I have a fairly short ride to work, so I didn't get to play around to much yet. I figured I'd get a hand held radio once I get my license. That way I don't have to set in the vehicle to talk. Who knows, like most other stuff I get into it usually ends up being an all consuming operation. I'll have whips coming off every vehicle, radios on the hip and a base station in the man cave!:victory:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
So I got a Technician Class study guide and a Kenwood TM-281A mobile unit. I've picked a test date of 8/22/16 to shoot for and now I'm studying like a school child again. :violent-smiley-031:

I don't know diddly about Ham, but I do know that the jacknapes on CB channel 6 and 11 are killing it for me. What good is a scan feature that can't lock out those knuckleheads? Don't answer that...:snorkel:

I did the install on the radio today and it works...well, the lights come on. That's as far as I got. I haven't any idea how to program it yet and I already know that I forgot to get the programming cable. Bummer, cause the HRO is all the way over on Buford Hwy. I downloaded the programming software and at least will have that filled out before long.

Anyone got any tips on what to tackle first with this new adventure I've begun? Edit ti add..I've read all the stickies up top. Good stuff.

Some help getting a completed program for my radio for the Atlanta, GA. area might be useful. I haven't tried to google it yet since I don't have the license yet, but anything helps. :D

Very cool...setting a testing date is an excellent motivational tool!

Try not to get too hung up on the theories or mathematical sections...just study for the "correct" answers, and learn to recognize the "wrong" ones too. I know that sounds a bit elementary, but using the Gordon West study guides really helped me the first time out.

Good luck...and welcome to the wonderful world of clear, long distance, communications!

Frdmskr

Adventurer
K0bg.com is a great mobile resource.

Kenwood ham radio is a group on Facebook. Might be someone with a code plug there for your rig/area.

Strongly advise drilling a hole, installing an NMO, and using a Larsen NMO270. Great indestructible antenna.

Best thing is, just listen. Listen lots. Learn who is around, what repeaters you can hear, etc. Also look for local clubs. They area great resources.

Welcome aboard from a 25 yr ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately ham isn't completely free of the CB mentality. It seems more and more these days are folks who don't see any particular reason why they should have to bother with studying and licenses and all that "nonsense". You just grab a $30 ChungKing radio and yak away good buddy.

Welcome aboard but be forewarned, ham is about as big a black hole for money as they come. There's always some new gee gaw whiz bang doodad ready to suck dollars from your pocket.

:)

johnspark

Ramblin Man
K0bg.com is a great mobile resource.

Kenwood ham radio is a group on Facebook. Might be someone with a code plug there for your rig/area.

Strongly advise drilling a hole, installing an NMO, and using a Larsen NMO270. Great indestructible antenna.

Best thing is, just listen. Listen lots. Learn who is around, what repeaters you can hear, etc. Also look for local clubs. They area great resources.

Welcome aboard from a 25 yr ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll look into that. I got the recommended package from the HRO store here in Atlanta. The guy was really good and after google-ing the equipment, the prices were quite good over all. I'll upgrade the antenna once I figure out the radio and its capabilities. I progressed a lot today. I got the cable for the computer and downloaded a program of freqs and settings that I made up myself. So far it works well. I had to delete a couple of channels due to constant noise after transmission. I couldn't get a squelch setting to work on them. Not sure what happened there. I've been through the setup on the mic and the computer a couple of times now, so it's starting to make some sense.

Unfortunately ham isn't completely free of the CB mentality. It seems more and more these days are folks who don't see any particular reason why they should have to bother with studying and licenses and all that "nonsense". You just grab a $30 ChungKing radio and yak away good buddy.

Welcome aboard but be forewarned, ham is about as big a black hole for money as they come. There's always some new gee gaw whiz bang doodad ready to suck dollars from your pocket.

I can surely relate to that. My pockets are a heat sink for money flow. My wife just shakes her head. :ylsmoke:

Yep, just what we all need, another vortex of money getting sucked out of our pockets :) Just look at it as doing our part to keep the economy going.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Yeah, I started out like you guys about a year ago, then went and got upgraded to General this past week.

So you start shopping for HF gear, you know, if your ever out in the real boondocks where line of sight has trouble. Even on my limited journeys I've found cell service drops, then go out even further and you find you can't even hit the nearest repeaters on VHF, so HF sounds like a good idea for really reaching out.

Holy mackerel just look at the price tags on that stuff..... :Wow1: Stay away, back out now, it's a gravity well and will suck you in! Even if your not old enough, fat enough, or socially awkward enough to fit in with the typical ham crowd, if you think tech or radio is cool, you still want to see just what these radios will do.

Actually I'm really happy to see a trend for ham radio usage in this community. It's a perfect fit, we do more sophisticated traveling than the typical off road park rock crawling wheelers, so we likewise need more sophisticated comms.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Yeah, I started out like you guys about a year ago, then went and got upgraded to General this past week.

So you start shopping for HF gear, you know, if your ever out in the real boondocks where line of sight has trouble. Even on my limited journeys I've found cell service drops, then go out even further and you find you can't even hit the nearest repeaters on VHF, so HF sounds like a good idea for really reaching out.

Holy mackerel just look at the price tags on that stuff..... :Wow1: Stay away, back out now, it's a gravity well and will suck you in! Even if your not old enough, fat enough, or socially awkward enough to fit in with the typical ham crowd, if you think tech or radio is cool, you still want to see just what these radios will do.

Actually I'm really happy to see a trend for ham radio usage in this community. It's a perfect fit, we do more sophisticated traveling than the typical off road park rock crawling wheelers, so we likewise need more sophisticated comms.

I spent a good part of the day yesterday studying and found that I knew a lot more than I'd figured. The theory and math makes perfect sense and the miscellaneous information is easily retained once it's been read over a few times. All that being said, I'm going to get the General Class information and go over it as well. That way I might be able to do both at the same time.

I suppose I have no real need for a radio when I really think about it. The Cohutta wilderness and maybe a few short zones in different areas around my area are the only places where cell coverage is spotty. I don't travel in packs very often and honestly don't talk that much anyway. I just think they're fun to listen to and tinker with. I know I'll need to get a good handheld radio and may be some fittings and antennas to upgrade that while inside, but that will pretty much do it for the foreseeable future. (yeah I know, foreseeable...)

ColeP410

Im in the same boat as you. Currently studying up to get my tech license. Im a volunteer fireman, so i would like to run a mobile in my truck since my county portable doesnt seem to reach out when needed. Of course, wheeling is the second reason. Most of Cohutta Ive travelled has had spotty cell service. good enough to get a text out if help was needed, but hopefully with the mobile help could be reached if the need arises. I also went ahead and ordered a Baofeng GT3TP 8 watt portable to play with until i can settle on which mobile I want. Best of luck testing, and maybe ill catch you on the air on day.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Im in the same boat as you. Currently studying up to get my tech license. Im a volunteer fireman, so i would like to run a mobile in my truck since my county portable doesnt seem to reach out when needed. Of course, wheeling is the second reason. Most of Cohutta Ive travelled has had spotty cell service. good enough to get a text out if help was needed, but hopefully with the mobile help could be reached if the need arises. I also went ahead and ordered a Baofeng GT3TP 8 watt portable to play with until i can settle on which mobile I want. Best of luck testing, and maybe ill catch you on the air on day.

That would be great! I'll try to send you my contact information through the portal. Let me know when you get yours and we'll chat it up!

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Alright, I'm really starting to get the hang of this. I figured out where to find all the repeater frequencies and I also figured out how to use the computer to program the radio. I now have 30 or so repeaters programmed in along with their off sets and tones. I had a very enjoyable ride around town today just listening to all the rag chewing. I listened in to the Southeastern Linked Repeater Net last night and learned a lot about procedures and customs. That was pretty incredible that 40+ stations checked in from all over the state.

Study update. I'm making consistent 89ish to 94ish on the practice tests. Once I finally get a 100, I'm going to start studying for the General too.

I made a book (three ring binder) that has a spiral notebook, list of repeaters, list of linked repeaters, Radio Instructions, Software Programming instructions and my study materials. This now goes everywhere with me. I don't think I've ever tackled something with such interest before.

I do have a question about "the log". What does one "log" when you keep a log of Ham Radio?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

I have the same radio, John. I can lend you the dongle and disc to program it ---- or maybe I'll just put my program on a thumb drive for you if you want?
There are a few good repeaters around that are easy to reach, 146.52, 145.000 (SAR K9), 146.55 (SEES), 146.46/146.56/146.66 ---- the ExPo go-to simplex channels, and I can program all the Cherokee County EMS dispatch frequencies...
Here are crams: http://ham-cram.com/index.php

Good job, sir.
Tennmogger has a radio trailer that he brings out when we camp and he's got some nifty HF gear. I got on a 40 net and was chatting with ExPo people I haven't seen in years.

If you're ever in a bind, there's a guy named John (N4AOW) on 146.52 VERY often that will make a phone call for you. Nice guy and always remembers your call sign.

I do have a question about "the log". What does one "log" when you keep a log of Ham Radio?
Time, frequency, call sign of your contact, whatever else you're into.
I started a log but I found it a little too dangerous to talk, write, and shift gears in the Jeep. I'm still having trouble remembering the call too ---- names are easier.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier