Super Duty ball joints

TXscout

Observer
What are you Ford Super Duty guys/gals using for HD ball joints? I am typically an OEM guy, but wanted to see if anyone had great success with other brands.

thethePete

Explorer
Moog. OEM are nice, but they're non-greasable, and that matters to some people. F450 and F550 stock balljoints are greasable but the 250 and 350 ones are not.

Do both on one side if you're doing one, and pay attention because you have to press one through the hole of the other. Upper through the lower, IIRC. Doesn't matter how many I do, I can never remember to tell someone, I have to have the knuckle in my hand to remember. Too bad I don't do this for a living or something... *eyeroll* ...it's been a long week.

TXscout

Observer
thanks for the advice pete. I actually manage a diesel performance shop that specializes in Power Strokes. Its always nice to get the opinion of ford techs as you guys see everything come through the service center. I have heard mixed reviews of the moog stuff, but have found their products to be pretty good quality. One complaint on the ball joints was the clearance of the boot, but I have no first hand experience with that. We also recommend OEM parts to our customers, but the majority of our customers don't see much dirt time as they are performance oriented. I have been looking at the dynatrac ones and they look very nice, but the price is pretty crazy.

Moog. OEM are nice, but they're non-greasable, and that matters to some people. F450 and F550 stock balljoints are greasable but the 250 and 350 ones are not.

Do both on one side if you're doing one, and pay attention because you have to press one through the hole of the other. Upper through the lower, IIRC. Doesn't matter how many I do, I can never remember to tell someone, I have to have the knuckle in my hand to remember. Too bad I don't do this for a living or something... *eyeroll* ...it's been a long week.
Motorcraft sells ones for the 350s that are greaseable. Had to change them out on one a little while ago.

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
That's the rub. At some point, I feel like you lose the value by going to something nutbar like the Dynatrac ones. OEM/Moog ones will last 100k on a service truck that sees potholed roads, so spending on some crazy aftermarket ones to see only a small gain in longevity doesn't seem worth it to me. I mean, I guess if you're building a rig that's got 44"s and sees rocks all the time, for sure. But for an expo type rig, a greasable OE replacement is the best bet, IMO.

toymaster

Explorer
.... I have been looking at the dynatrac ones and they look very nice, but the price is pretty crazy.

I replaced the ball joints on my F350 some time in the '06-'07 range, really can't remember what I used. Knowing me it was probably NAPA brand. I also run the dynatrac ball joints on my JK. Dynatrac is top-of-the-line but may be more than your customer needs. You can get Moog greaseable for ~$140 vs. ~$550 for the machined, greaseable, and rebuildable dynatracs. If money is no concern for your customer then hey having the best is always a good feeling.

..... OEM/Moog ones will last 100k on a service truck that sees potholed roads, so spending on some crazy aftermarket ones to see only a small gain in longevity doesn't seem worth it to me. I mean, I guess if you're building a rig that's got 44"s and sees rocks all the time, for sure. But for an expo type rig, a greasable OE replacement is the best bet, IMO.

Can't believe I agree with thePete for once.

jazz77

I just had Xrf ball joints installed in my excursion . They seemed to be of high quality and had great reviews

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have had the Dynatrac Rebuildable Balljoints for about a year now. I also went full out and did the Dynatrac free spin kit as well.
Louie

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have had the Dynatrac Rebuildable Balljoints for about a year now. I also went full out and did the Dynatrac free spin kit as well.
Louie

X2 here. I got in on a Dynatrac freespin and bj discount+a group buy. The balljoints ended up being just a slight increase over Raybestos.
Our Dodges tend to chew up Moogs.
The Raybestos Professional grade seem to work pretty good on light trucks at a reasonable price.

Here's a promo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tcwqAlFmU

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I never understood that. Especially back when Dodge and Ford front axles rolled off assembly lines in the same building.

I'm voting OEM because we get 150,000 miles on our work trucks joints, and we torture them. Can't ask for more than that.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Fords don't eat balljoints the same way Dodges do. Still trying to figure out why.

Yeah,I don't get it either. The Cummins is a bit heavier but...
My stockers were fine @ 72K but I got the great deal on Dynatracs so I jumped on them.
The shop I use has never done a rebuild kit on the Dynas,but has had some issues with the Carli's.
Moogs are coming out of Taiwan I believe as are many parts these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke