Truck Camper Beds

Jonstoy

Good evening everyone. I have a little question that i would like to get some input on from everyone. I've been the proud owner of my 2006 Okangan truck camper for the past few months and its been awesome, but i have noticed a problem with the factory bed. Their just isn't very much room to store stuff basically. I now have a new baby, and when the wife and i go out camping it seems that we now bring the entire house with us. So has anyone used a service bed perhaps for their truck camper to increase room or even a flat deck with some truck boxes? I would like the box or flat deck to be multi purpose. Such as being able to haul an ATV, or take a few yards of dirt for around the yard, and also be able to have a goose neck or 5 wheel hitch installed but still be able to haul the truck camper. Is their any companies that make such a product or has anyone done such a project with their trucks. As of right now i just have a 2010 ford f350 with a factory long box on it.

Thanks for the insight.

Jon.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yes, people have done the flatbed route with boxes and the contractors bed with camper...I'd get a flatbed (if I were you) and make everything interchangeable since you have so many different needs. Or get one of those pop up offroad trailers with the flatbed portion in front...I cant remember the name but someone on here will.

::Squish::

Observer
When we started looking at different truck and camper options I saw that possibly at least down here in CA when you are using a stake bed or ute bed truck the vehicle licensing changes out of light duty to med duty. Which might have an impact on cost of registration and insurance. We picked up a standard box pick up and camper so I stopped checking it out. But it is something to think about.
I have seen a few campers on bigger flat bed trucks and they used the area under the over cab as a garage for their motorbike or other stuff.

Jonstoy

I've been in contact with a few different builders of beds and service bodies up here in Alberta. They all offer amazing quality and a willingness to build what I need. But I wasn't expecting the high prices of 10-18 thousand depending on what I want. So now I've been looking into the used market and trying to find something that will fit my needs hopefully, and price point as well. Thanks for all the insight from everyone.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Jon, you ought to at least see a pic or two of a ute bed that would work. These are very rare, but around, since they were made in So. Cal., not the rust belt.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Jefe, that truck body is awesome! Too bad you wouldn't be able to access the front or rear compartments easily with the average style of tie downs. It wouldn't be as awkward with a Fast Guns though.

wirenut

Adventurer
DSCF5033.jpg
Here's my rig. I love the flatbed with storage boxes. My bed was customized a little by the builder. I have tie downs in the deck to attach the camper too. I have a second battery and a 3,000 watt inverter mounted in the compartments. I carry folding lawn chairs, gas grill, tools, spare fluids, tow strap, extension cords, etc. in the bins.

boxcar1

boxcar1
I run an 8'8" flat bed with 8' storage boxes down each side. Love it . The added storage is phenomenal.
Simple build . Well worth the effort.

407.jpg
406.jpg
403.jpg

deminimis

Explorer
Can haul all kiteboarding gear for three (seven kites, boards, harnesses, wetsuits, vests, etc.), along with one inflatable SUP and paddle in the two upper boxes. One lower box houses a large Rigid tool box (which works great, by the way and I'd highly rec for a large, but portable box (Rigid Model 222570)), Honda 2000 watt genny and three sets of levelers (with room left over). The other lower houses a bunch of tools, one air over hydraulic jack, a Hi-Lift jack, fluids, etc., with room to spare. In Winter, the kitebaording gear gives way to skis and snowboards for four, along with all the other gear needed. More than enough room for a portable crib and a Johnny Jump-Up, should that be your need.

29514275106_9c7e4618ca_h.jpg

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
We can build you a custom flat bed with storage in any configuration you want. Check out some of our builds here and give us a call. We are in Red Deer, Alberta.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94