2017 Ford Raptor prices

OCD Overland

Explorer
Interesting, thanks - I'll have to look into that. I thought the stock Fox shocks were just position sensitive and that you have to trade up to adjustable for speed sensitivity.

Or let me rephrase that - I thought the speed sensitive valving was separate from the bypass 'zone', so I thought there was a region in the fox shocks that had less resistance. Maybe there's a valve on the bypass that only works above a certain speed - if that's the case then I think I understand; i.e., unlikely or impossible that you'd meet that speed in braking alone.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Yes that's basically how it works, a hard fast hit opens the bypass instantaneously. As soon as that force is dissipated the bypass closes and returns the shock to regular valving (which is still dynamic).

Trophycummins

Adventurer
If what you say is true, paved race track trucks would have the same springs and shocks as a baja race truck... Or in this case the fx4 and raptor would have the same suspension, Which is not true... Clearly there are advantages to different setups for different purposes....

You can tune, to get compromises you can live with and enjoy...

Hey I'd love to have a raptor... I think I'd go for the 6.2l and put a Rousch supercharger on it... Yes!

My whole post was in regard to bypass shocks, on road race trucks don't run bypasses.

The compromise is price, the raptor suspension does everything the fx4 does, and does it better.

We have a roush blower on our 6.2 raptor shop truck, I'm a bigger fan of the whipple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jpop8807

Observer
I've personally not heard anything bad about the new raptor. The engine will be stronger, and from what I saw on reviews its going to get pretty damn good gas mileage for what it is. Matt Farah from smoking tire did a think with hennesey I believe. They transplanted the eco engine into the old raptor. After everything was said and done it was getting I believe close to 700hp power great amounts of torque, and he said it still got a combined of 15-16 mpg. Small turbos are the way of the future.

dave1014

Adventurer
Wow, 700hp out of an Eco boost, that is amazing... My wife's truck (2013 fx4 crew Eco short bed) is the model before the lightweight aluminum f150 came out and one of my "complaints" is that it is not heavy enough... Up here in the Montana winters, weight is your friend... Not just the rear... Even the front, that EB has no weight... From a mpg and speed performance and suspension. The aluminum and light weight engine should be incredible...

The SDHQ Ecoraptor Matt Farrah drove in that video was 410HP. Stock engine with a CAI, exhaust and SCT Custom tune

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
My whole post was in regard to bypass shocks, on road race trucks don't run bypasses.

The compromise is price, the raptor suspension does everything the fx4 does, and does it better.

k
then why the low payload compared to the other f150 trucks?

thethePete

Explorer
Yep. They use the same springpack. It's not rocket surgery.

Also, you don't see bypasses on roadracers because last I checked, they don't have a lot of surface variation to deal with on a race track.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Right, kind of funny. Bypasses exist for the specific reason of delivering the same performance across all surfaces, versus one surface. "Well how come race cars dont use them then" is kind of a non starter.

p nut

butter
Wow, 700hp out of an Eco boost, that is amazing... My wife's truck (2013 fx4 crew Eco short bed) is the model before the lightweight aluminum f150 came out and one of my "complaints" is that it is not heavy enough... Up here in the Montana winters, weight is your friend... Not just the rear... Even the front, that EB has no weight... From a mpg and speed performance and suspension. The aluminum and light weight engine should be incredible...

Curious on why you'd want more weight all around. I can see about more weight in the bed--makes sense to me. But up front? I am south of you in Utah, so I probably don't get as much snow, but I do frequent Wyoming frequently in the winter. Going through some of the trails there, I want a wide tire, low pressure, and less weight to keep me on top of the snow. Out on the roads, I do get jostled around in the slush, but it's not bad.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Curious on why you'd want more weight all around. I can see about more weight in the bed--makes sense to me. But up front? I am south of you in Utah, so I probably don't get as much snow, but I do frequent Wyoming frequently in the winter. Going through some of the trails there, I want a wide tire, low pressure, and less weight to keep me on top of the snow. Out on the roads, I do get jostled around in the slush, but it's not bad.

On a trail with deep snow I suppose you want flotation to stay on top of it(I don't have much experience with this). With general on road driving just trying to get to work during blizzard conditions and on icy roads you don't want flotation, you want the most ground pressure you can get hence the sandbags in the truck bed trick.

OCD Overland

Explorer
The rear springs on the old raptor were unique and had a different deflection rate...

278612d1388095435t-raptor-rear-springs-vs-f150-rear-springs-f150-springs.jpg

thethePete

Explorer
And did you look at the deflection per inch? They're within 10 lbs of any other model, and the overload which is the second number is hardly relevant for real-use travel, since it doesn't engage until you're near to bottomed out. And they used a softer overload so it would deflect better when reaching full compression. Are you this argumentative in real life, or only when you can hide behind a keyboard?

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm arguing?

Wasn't there a thread here a few days ago about your sensitivity level?

"Argument" continued: you'll note that the deflection rate for all the springs are very similar, so perhaps a small difference is significant.

And while we're "arguing", let me add this about road racing shocks - they usually are bypass, though they don't use that terminology. Very stiff shocks that also have to ride curbs are really no different in principle to offroad shocks though obviously the amount of travel is much different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior