Running Late build thread

JoshN

Observer
Been asked a few times lately if I had a build thread on this forum or if I could post one up. I do have one on IH8MUD but not everyone here dragging trailers are Cruiserheads, so I figured I would try to put an abbreviated thread here that covers the questions folks asked me along the way as well, with plenty of pic so here goes.

In April 2014 I bought a rusty but still serviceable M101a1 FRAME for $100. I decided it was perfect for an offroad-ish "squaredrop". Through a little horse trading I got the frame expanded by a friend of mine after getting the rust heap sand blasted.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
After letting it sit for a few more months I started a design phase mockup just to work out dimensions (so no kidding start date was late Jun 2014):

005.jpg

And then got to work on the decking:

007.jpg

008.jpg

Waterproofing the underside with Thompsons waterseal, Peel and Stick roof flashing, and rubberized paint:

010.jpg

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
This seems like as good a time to discuss some of my materials and methods before the following pics hopefully alleviating some questions.

All of the plywood I used was cabinet grade marine ply from a local boat yard. 3/4" for the sides, 1/2" for the floor and front wall, 6mm (1/4" ish) roof and back hatch. I used Raka epoxy and fiberglass: http://store.raka.com/6quartkit.aspx, Raka 900 - Medium Epoxy Resin / Raka 608 - Medium Cure; with Style 120 - 3.25oz (T) x 60 in -Fiberglass Cloth.

I glassed and epoxied the exterior of panels only. All the panels are either attached directly to the framework with bolts/screws or to one another with pocket screws from the interior. Once assembled all the joints were fiberglass taped and epoxied with 3 inch wide standard fiberglass tape and the same epoxy. When working with the individual panels before assembled I was limited on space so would do my 2 coats of epoxy on the glass (about 2 hrs between) and leave them overnight before moving them. Once the trailer was assembled and I was taping the seams I added an additional pump of hardener to the mix to prevent it dripping. Each mix with the standard ratio or the extra hardener ratio gives you about a 30 minute working time with this product line. 1 layer of fiberglass mat, 2-3 layers of epoxy depending on the surface (top got 4, front wall got 3 and then got painted and linex'd)

According to Raka while the epoxies are UV resistant, they last about 10 times longer covered with paint. I used an epoxy based marine self-leveling primer because it reacted well with the Raka epoxies. I don't remember the brand. For those who don't know and based on my research, marine fiberglass epoxies typically have adverse reactions with standard primers shortening the protective life of your coatings so your primer should be one rated for a similar application. 2 coats of primer overall.

2 coats of exterior oil based paint over the primer (1 gallon) of the tan. 3 coats of white http://www.lowes.com/pd_139941-29-5530-1-30_1z0uk7k__?productId=3013309&pl=1 (you can buy it in 1 gallon cans as well and I only used 1) reflective roof coating. Really does reduce the heat absorbed by the trailer. and finally had the front wall Linex'd. I had considered aluminum plate but anytime you add a plate over wood you run the chance of moisture getting between them and rotting it from the inside out.

All the fasteners are stainless or in the case of the larger ones galvanized. All wood materials are marine grade. Coatings are marine grade. I have the windows, roof vents and windows on the doors that I can open up for interior air circulation with (2) 10 inch fans that I can run from solar, battery pack or shore power. I store it inside when it isn't being used with the vents and windows open. Too many builds that I have seen use build techniques that make me wince and materials that I wouldn't consider for interior use let alone for a camper.

The fiberglass was not a structural reinforcement for me but another layer of weather proofing. You have to remember that if you are driving down the highway in the rain, your trailer is experiencing a hurricane literally. Water will get in if you let it. I was very leery of working with fiberglass at first but after watching the videos and reading as much as I could I came to the conclusion that the Raka products were the most user friendly and I found them very easy to work with. Hope that helps.

Also direct fit replacement shocks for the M101 series trailers are either a Napa HD version: https://www.napaonline.com/p/NS_76992

or a Monroe lighter duty version depending on your preference: https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-32283-Monro-Matic-Shock-Absorber/dp/B0012WW44A

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
This is the backend storage / kitchen in development stage. The cans are there just to see how much stuff I could fit in there and to get them off of teh floor in the garage while i was building this. My canopies (will picture later) ride in that space now.

full

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
Some early interior shots. Not much has changed as of this posting but I did add another interior shelf. I'll get another picture up later that includes it. That mattress is a queen sized 4 inch thick firm memory foam. Sliding doors on the cabinet so they dont pop open while driving.

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

Going in from the passenger side. Shows the box just inside the door that serves as a nightstand/pocket dump and platform to get in and out so you don't have a 1/8" aluminum edge up your backside.

Ceilings left bare purposely in case a leak develops I can find it fast.

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
I officially "finished" building it in Feb 2015, but wasn't able to get her out for her maiden voyage until July 4th weekend. These pics are from then. At this point (a year since then) she has been on several family trips, including Overland East 2015 in the hurricane and we stayed dry and comfortable. Run the fans when its hot and snuggle up in sleeping bags when its cold.

Not mentioned before the hinge is one of these: Hurricane hinge: https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hinges---aluminum-trim.html (at the time you used to be able to order these in 8 ft lengths to cut down)

full

full

full

And there you have it, a bit late on the build but no one wants to look at 1 picture a month anyway. The art work on the sides are NOT decals or stencils. They were hand painted by a good friend who is an architect and artist, freehand airbrushed over the course of a week.

Last edited:

JoshN

Observer
Should be fixed now. I noticed it, probably while you were trying to tell me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles