What would you buy for $40k?

markley

Observer
Okay, so after some searching around various forums (both here and elsewhere) I am still unsure what van to go with. I am looking for a high roof, long wheelbase (not extra long) cargo van to upfit as a camper for my wife and I. We'd like to keep the van as small as possible and still incorporate a sleeping area, kitchen, and toilet/shower combo. Luckily, we are both on the short side (5'7”)..which helps in this case! We would be using the van for extended trips (month or so) that would likely take us ‘off the grid' and pavement.

I'm thinking our max budget is $40k, preferably $30K. Our ideal van would be a 4x4 High Roof Sprinter 144 (though it is over our budget). Also, with the concerns I've read about regarding the diesel engines and lack of service departments (as well as cost and difficulty of maintaining), I've pretty much crossed that off the list. While I'd like to have 4x4, I'm not sure it is necessary, nor can I afford (or justify the price). I've also looked really hard at the Transit and really like what I see. The only issue is that to find one with all the options/upgrades that I would want makes it impossible to find on a lot. So I would be limited to special ordering a 2017 which comes in at my max budget. Although we may be able to cross off some of our ‘wish list' options and locate one on the lot for $30k? and add those options later. We've also looked at Promaster, but not really digging them (especially the low rear axle).

I guess my question is, if you had $40k to spend on a van (new or used) what would you go with? We'd rather not get something too old or worn..unless there is good reason to (ie. price, potential). We want a reliable van that is not going to require a lot of mechanical work. What year MB Sprinters would you avoid?

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

For 40k I'd look for the lowest mileage, newest year ford extended body with a v10, I'd bet ya find something NICE for 20k ish.

Then call up fiberine and select your high roof. About 4k.

Then go to ujoint, agile off-road, Denver fleet, etc etc and pick the 4wd conversion of your choice.

86scotty

Cynic
For 40k I'd look for the lowest mileage, newest year ford extended body with a v10, I'd bet ya find something NICE for 20k ish.

Then go to ujoint, agile off-road, Denver fleet, etc etc and pick the 4wd conversion of your choice.

What ^ he ^ said ^ !!!

markley

Observer

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like fiberine is looong way from home (NC). Not sure if the cost/time to get there would be worthwhile. Anyone know of an east cost shop to do high roofs? Also, what would be the cost for 4wd conversion?

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like fiberine is looong way from home (NC). Not sure if the cost/time to get there would be worthwhile. Anyone know of an east cost shop to do high roofs? Also, what would be the cost for 4wd conversion?

If you're in North Carolina....... Ujoint isn't far.

Find a nice ford, talk to Chris at ujoint. Fiberine will crate and ship the top, and I'm sure Chris can do the install (read his thread)

markley

Observer
If you're in North Carolina....... Ujoint isn't far.

Find a nice ford, talk to Chris at ujoint. Fiberine will crate and ship the top, and I'm sure Chris can do the install (read his thread)

Awesome! Thanks for that suggestion!! And Ujoint is literally minutes from my house! So now it looks like my search is on for a v10 Ford. My only concern would be the gas mileage...roughly what could I expect to get?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Come to think of it, with proper CL searching skills, you might be able to find an already set up van. Maybe even a sportsmobile.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks for that suggestion!! And Ujoint is literally minutes from my house! So now it looks like my search is on for a v10 Ford. My only concern would be the gas mileage...roughly what could I expect to get?

Not good. Depends on where you set the cruise. But it'll get "not good" mileage for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles

We've got a V10 with a fiberne top here at the shop now, come by if you're free.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
haha MPG in the V10 is maybe 12. If you're lucky. I drove my moms V10 Excursion in High School before I got my truck and with my lead foot it was an average of 9MPG.

markley

Observer
Yeah...kind of figured the mpg would be pretty poor. Guess I need to figure out if we'd be willing to spend twice as much on gas..the first trip that we may take would cover approx 6,000 miles, which amounts to close to an extra $1000 in gas alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior