Land Ops

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Greetings,

I recently went to the Land Ops event at Lake Davis, CA. It was part overlanding, part geocaching and part HAM coms. It's basically wargaming a search and rescue operation.

Getting the lay of the land

We went out in teams and were given coordinates to find by Net Control which was a 2m radio station set up at a base camp.

Finding the caches was fairly easy, but we had to communicate our position to NetCon and relay info to the other team with the radios. Way over kill for a casual day trip, but if it was a real SAR operation you would definitely want all your location info and activity logged centrally, and maintaining clear and consistent and communications like that takes practice.

Land Ops Lake Davis

We had to relay coordinates via radio to the other team a couple of times.

Land Ops Lake Davis

It was pretty fun and good training for HAM radio use with multiple contacts managed through net control.

Land Ops Lake Davis

There were also a couple cool rigs.

Land Ops Lake Davis

Land Ops Lake Davis

Land Ops Lake Davis

Check it out, there are upcoming events in Southern California: https://www.meetup.com/LandOps/

-M

Attachments

• LandOps - 2.jpg
    LandOps - 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 14

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Wow, that is really cool. Like everything I find cool all rolled into one activity.

I wish there was something like this going on in my area, but the problem with that is not being the only one in the whole region remotely interested in that variety of things....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've participated in a couple Land Ops events. They are a total blast to do, especially the night runs. Good job Dad on bringing your son out with you!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles