LR3 gearing

zelatore

Explorer
OK, here's a question for you. Maybe out dealer-techs will have some input.

I am not aware of any aftermarket gears for the LR3. Since most people don't run over 32" tires there's not a lot of demand. But some of us are running 33s and a handful are or have at least tried 35s. By the time you get to a 33 you're 10% bigger than stock and you can really feel it. It sure would be nice to be able to re-gear.

Scanning the final drive ratios of the diesel and gas version of the LR4 and RRS I only see taller gears, not shorter like we would need for bigger tires. This is to be expected since those are more powerful (more torque) engines and can pull a higher gear. Lucky them - they could swap in the LR3 gears if they wanted to go shorter.

So the question is does anybody out there know of gears for the LR3?

Alternatively, perhaps the LR3 diff is used in a different vehicle and gears are marketed for it? I've heard rumors that the only reason ARB has a locker for the LR3 is because it happened to be the same as something else (Ausi Ford Ranger??). Perhaps that would be our 'in' to find different gears? Do we know who made the LR3 diff? That might be a place to start.

zelatore

Explorer
Now that I'm on 35s I am going down the rabbit hole looking for different gears. If you come up with any thing please let me know.

Wait - aren't you supposed to be the one PROVIDING the parts???

BTW - you really should come visit us out here in the west. I keep hearing rumors....

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I think that the ARB locker offering was not based on compatibility with another platform from Ford. I have both front and rear lockers. The front differential is not a part share with any Ford product. The rear may have some internal similarities to the Expedition but not likely. I know there was some parts sharing going on there back when Ford owned LR.

I have always felt the best option for the LR3 would be portals. You could run the suspension in normal height, no rods, and still get a 4-5 inch lift. Then go into off-road height and get 6-7 inches of extra lift. That would equate to maybe 17-20 inches of ground clearance which would help with break over, the Achilles heal of crawling a LR3.

Another option would be to rip out the independent suspension altogether and throw on a 5 link solid axle setup. Problem would be that it would probably be impossoble to get the center diff to ever lock up without some clever ECU hacking. With enough changes though it can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoHkS9j72A

zelatore

Explorer
Well, if you want a batch of 50 we can get them made...pretty hard to find 50 guys wanting gears for an LR3 though as I'm not looking to go into the Rover parts business.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I would have been interested but I just had mine re-built with new bearings. maybe in another 180,000 miles.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Did we ever find a source for shorter gears? I am also jumping down the rabbit hole..... sure would be nice

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
We have stripped down 2 diffs and are shopping the gears. Its not going to be over night but I wanted you to know we are trying.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Awesome, because zero shops in my area will touch installing an ARB locker in a rover. So.... your diffs are looking more and more appealing.

mpetersen3

Did anyone ever find / engineer a solution? It seems like some diff fixes are in my future and I'd love to know, if I can kill two birds.

gatorgrizz27

Could we really not find 50 people? I thought the number was much higher...

My guess is the cost vs performance gain for most just isn’t worth it. I’d imagine you’re looking at $3k ish by the time you figure front and rear gears, install kits, and labor to set them up, even if you R&R your own diffs and mail them off.

Obviously if you’re adding an ARB or rebuilding a worn out diff that would be the time to change gears, but as an “upgrade” the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

Honestly I think I’d rather have an extra 30 hp. My LR3 on 32’s doesn’t have the guts to pull my enclosed trailer in 6th at 70 mph, so I sit in 5th and burn way more fuel. I think 30 hp would be enough to get it done based on messing with various speed, gear, rpm settings.

soflorovers

Could we really not find 50 people? I thought the number was much higher...
You're referencing a comment that is 4 years old. A lot has happened to LR3 values since that comment was posted, and a bunch more people have started to explore the 33"-35" tire options. Feel free to coordinate a group buy. I'm on a 35" and fully acknowledge the need to re-gear. However, in terms of my to-do list, it's pretty far down the list. Let us know if you get a reasonable figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne