Radio setup reccomendations for crossing Africa

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
It can't have been an iridium phone that "Survivorman" had. Sounds like Globalstar.

But, I agree that both is better: You can use your phone when there is connection (3G/4G too), for apps, and you can use it where there is Wi-Fi for all things "smartphone".

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Nope. But it does work in the forrest.

Surely that depends on the forest, where it is, and where the nearest cell phone tower is.

Anyway, it seemed like you were contrasting sat phones with cell phones, more than implying that your cell phone worked in all those places, regardless of topo features, geography and whatnot.

Rando

Explorer
My goal wasn't to say that a cell phone *would* work where a sat phone wouldn't. I had two points:

1. Where a cellular phone does work, it is a better option that a sat phone - cheaper, higher bandwidth, better voice quality etc.

2. Sat phones don't actually work everywhere. Examples would be under a dense tree canopy, or in a canyon (urban or natural), a cell phone MAY still work in these situations.

The take home point was to carry both cellular and satellite phones, and leave the radios at home.

Surely that depends on the forest, where it is, and where the nearest cell phone tower is.

Anyway, it seemed like you were contrasting sat phones with cell phones, more than implying that your cell phone worked in all those places, regardless of topo features, geography and whatnot.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Hmmm. My first reaction is that any and all radio equipment will be seized, if not in Morocco, then in Algeria. Almost any form of two way radio is likely to be a licensing nightmare. If you are REALLY worried, then an unlocked cell phone or sat phone is your best bet.

uli2000

Adventurer
Hmmm. My first reaction is that any and all radio equipment will be seized, if not in Morocco, then in Algeria. Almost any form of two way radio is likely to be a licensing nightmare. If you are REALLY worried, then an unlocked cell phone or sat phone is your best bet.

Each country you visit will have it's own rules and regulations for amateur radio. Some places may not allow it at all, others may tie you up in red tape for years. While the ARRL info is US amateur specific, I'm sure it's going to be nearly the same for other countries as well, especially if you're in countries that are not part of the CEPT treaty.

http://www.arrl.org/reciprocal-permit

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Rich, IMO you are going a little over the top. there are a couple of considerations you need to think about, let me start with the technical ones:

1-. While the some of the equipment that you and and other are mentioning is fantastic (Ic 7100, HI-Q Antennas) remember you'll be traveling in countries where that equipment will definitely call too much attention to you and your vehicle. I would go a little simpler (Equipment wise). In my mobile rig I use an ICOM IC706MK2G, and I highly recommend it. Comparing it to an 7100:
- It's still an excellent equipment.
- Its just as capable.
- Has simpler electronics and does not heat up as much (the 7100 gets way too hot for my taste).
- Will call far les attention to you and your vehicle.

2- Regarding the Antennas, again give the plan you have, I do not dispute the fact that HI-Q and other mentioned make an excellent choice, but it screams VALUABLE ELECTRONICS IN THE CAR. Consider purchasing and taking tried and true Hustler Monoband whips, not because they are better, but because they are far cheaper, earlier to replace with any HAM in Africa, and will surely call less attention to your EXPO rig. You can take 10 mono band whips of every band you'll be using and still not spend as much.
3-. In my life as a HAM, im usually more focused towards versatility, because my focus is more geared towards EMCOMM and less DX so instead of taking one radio, i would take 2. Take the Multiband, but also mount a V8000 or IC2300 for a VHF, both are rugged and simple to use. This allows you to be permanently listening to the HF Call channel and be on 2mtr while on the road. with this setup you'll need 3 antennas 2 for the HF,VHF,UHF unit and a third antenna for the single VHF unit.

4-. I always place my V/U antennas on the hood of the car... in my experience IT WORKS.

5-. Speaking about Autotuner, I would stick with the AT-180, its a great piece of equipment and will definitely not let you down, mine has never failed on me.

6-. Even though most countries adhere to IARU international Band plans, remember to look up band plans for particular countries (some have restricted use of certain bands), its not a good idea to start transmitting in a government frequency.

6-. uli2000 has a good point, but instead of looking up the ARRL reciprocal permits... check with the RSGB. US reciprocal permits won't be much help to you.

There are other considerations you need to think about:

Apparently you have not made a final route or at least haven't told what it will be, but I would recommend:

1- In every country you'll visit there are HAMS ( I guarantee it), Look up the IARU member societies and radio clubs (http://www.iaru.org/member-societies.html) Ahead of time contact them, ask them about local regulations with equipment, particular border crossings, and ask them about their repeaters. This will give you great coverage and peace of mind while in route. All (or most) hams speak english so you can have friendly chats while in route, if you have equipment failure, you already know who to call and assist you, tell you can get help or anything at all, the point is HAMS are usually very helpful people. Before someone else corrects me, Yes, you won't always have repeater coverage but its better than not having it.

2- I would definitely take a cheap unlocked and rugged cell phone will give you the ability to buy a chip in most countries and have a somewhat inexpensive calls.

3- SATPHONE - there are pros and cons about it some of which has already been discussed, but other than that, IMO most SATPHONES aren't well liked by power hungry police, military and border crossing personnel, there is something about sat phones that just they don't like that much. If you want to take one, by all means take it, but again make it one that doesn't call too much attention.

4- As with HAMS, there are EXPO, overlanding, and fans for whatever brand car you'll take (MAKE CONTACT ahead of time, having local assists will help).

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

BigBamBoo

Observer
For HF a mobile antenna is very much a compromise. Especially as you go to the lower bands.

I would take a look at a Buddipole. You will have to "deploy" it to use it, but it will yield much better results then a screwdriver or fixed whip and tuner option.

If you just have to have a vehicle mounted antenna, as mentioned above, look at Hi-Q brand antennas. They are not cheap but they work very well for what they are when properly set up.

Setting up a really good mobile station takes effort. Example...binding all the body panels to each other and then binding the body to the frame, etc.
Again, when operating on the high HF bands...10,11,12, and 15m, the compromise is less and a mobile antenna will work ok. But from 20m down, it is a different game.

Good luck, Stan W6ON

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Don't over think the whole radio thing, it will cost you lots of money! That said my .02 cents worth is find an old Icom MKII in good condition. Add an Icom AH4 tuner with a fiberglass full size CB antenna (or Loran C) on the bumper and hit the road! I've been using this setup since the radio came out and have worked HF all over the southwest USA. Both have taken an amazing amount of abuse and dirt and they still keep on working. I've killed other radios and antennas throughout the years but this setup just keeps rolling along! For backup I added a roll of wire about 70 feet long in case I really really need to reach out further.

Happy trails!

preacherman

Explorer
I drove across East Africa, Tanz, Kenya etc and never lost cell coverage. Most other drivers just got sim cards from several carriers (they are all pay as you go so they are cheap) and switch to a different carrier if they didn't have coverage. Almost every 4x4 I ever rode in in africa (about 20) had a HF radio in it but it was filled with so much chatter (in about 12 African tribal dialects) that it was impossible to actually hear anything or use the radio. It was totally unregulated so it was about 10 times worse that a CB in a crowded truck stop, but in a different language.

It may be different in other areas of africa, but in east Africa the safari companies had the HF jammed packed with traffic.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne