Low Buck 3rd Gen 4Runner Build

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I had a decently modded XJ for a couple years, it was fun but I got tired of the usual XJ shenanigans. Waring out a couple track bar hiems a year, small cooling system, etc. So I sold it about this time last year and got a 2000 Silverado single cab that I daily drove until recently.

20150827_075046 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20141020_133958 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I really needed a vehicle with a back seat again and wanted something to wheel. A friend suggested that I check out some 4Runners.

Cue the low buck 4Runner.. The plan is to have a fully modded 4Runner for around 4K. Suspension, bumpers, audio, nav, maintenance, everything.

20160717_174502 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

It was filthy inside, I don't think it had ever been detailed. Exterior is pretty straight but the clear coat is totally gone on the roof and hood and paint is faded pretty good. Despite all its cosmetic issues this 4runner has a lot going for it. The previous owner was a middle aged lady that didn't do anything to it other than mechanical maintenance and miles. Its bone stock and I dont think its seen 4 low more then a hand full of times.
It had ball joints, CV's, timing belt/water pump recently for sure.

2016-07-18_10-38-56 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Another major selling point for me on this 4Runner was the factory locking rear diff.

20160717_172225 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The first thing I did when I got it home was pull the steps off in preparation to build a set of sliders for it.

2016-07-18_08-32-20 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The 2nd set is for a friends 4Runner.
20160722_193740 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160722_154335 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160723_132253 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Turned out pretty good I think. :sombrero:

20160723_171344 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160723_171407 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Next was a trip to China Wall, glad I did the sliders before I went ended up using them a couple times.

FB_IMG_1469406893153 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160724_114614 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160724_114603 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160724_140521 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

My co pilot Axle dog.

20160724_135105 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Looking forward to learning more about 3rd gen 4runners around here.

Last edited:

RobD

You don't mention it, but have you done the blue wire mod for your locking diff yet? It's a pretty straightforward mod. You want to ground the blue/red wire coming out of the control box to fool the computer that you're in 4 low. This will enable you to lock the rear diff in any range. It was the first mod I did on my 99 and worth the ten minutes.

This guy did two wires (to fool the box into allowing him to engage the locker while driving...I don't recommend. I'd just do the blue wire.)

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/46404-grey-wire-mod-4runners.html

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
You don't mention it, but have you done the blue wire mod for your locking diff yet? It's a pretty straightforward mod. You want to ground the blue/red wire coming out of the control box to fool the computer that you're in 4 low. This will enable you to lock the rear diff in any range. It was the first mod I did on my 99 and worth the ten minutes.

This guy did two wires (to fool the box into allowing him to engage the locker while driving...I don't recommend. I'd just do the blue wire.)

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/46404-grey-wire-mod-4runners.html

Thanks for the info. Ill have to do some more research on that, looks like some with auto's lose OD and have to wire in a separate switch to ground that wire.

One of the most obvious issues with this 4Runner was a noticable exhaust leak on the back half of the exhaust. Turns out the muffler is toast.

20160729_180941 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

When I went to remove the axle back I found that someone had tacked what was left of the nuts on there. I didnt see any leaks at the flange so I decided to leave it and deal with it down the line if I have to.

20160729_110248 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I lucked out and picked up this Magnaflow from a friend that had it left over from a project, its center in offset out 2.25" exactly what I needed.

Got a couple adapters and a little 2.25" extension pipe from the auto parts store and got it all mocked up last night.

20160729_180959 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The plan for today is to get it welded in and modify the end of the tail pipe to keep it up out of the way.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Cant beat a 3rd gen 4runner. Enjoy. Try to keep mods to level of not hurting reliability.

Quoted for truth. My 3rd gen is beat up and needs a trans. Rebuild is/was costly but well worth over having a car payment. I've had two XJ's in the past and it is a bittersweet battle between which would do better off in the long run. A Cherokee is like dating someone from AmeriCorps. 3rd gen 4Runner is like dating an English major who minored in Political Science. Everything is cool and then ****! Rear seals are leaking time for a rebuild.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Cant beat a 3rd gen 4runner. Enjoy. Try to keep mods to level of not hurting reliability.

I cant think of anything that would. only thing I plan on doing under the hood so far is replacing the trans cooler thats built into the radiator with a larger aux cooler.

The only upside to the XJ I can think of so far is an abundance of cheap junkyard parts. 3rd gen 4runners are hard to find in yards around here.

Finished up the exhaust today.

I wanted to route the exhaust out the back instead of behind the wheel. I dented the tailpipe on my first outing so I figured now was a good time to move it since I had it all apart.

To do that I needed a tight bend radius 45*. Since all the bends at the auto parts store are press bent junk with huge bend radius I opted to make my own.

20160730_132225 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Normally I would TIG all the sections together but all I had at my dads shop was mig so I made it happen.

20160730_140117 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160730_142101 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160730_142132 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Finished parts ready to install

20160730_161714 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160730_164407 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160730_164427 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160730_164834 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I could have cut the tail pipe farther back and run it straight back but it would have been right under the frame rail obstructing the bolt holes ill need to mount a custom bumper later.

For a 14" muffler its a lot quieter then I expected, it has a medium tone, no gurgle or noise on decel, when the throttle is shut its virtually silent.

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
I had a magnaflow on a previous rig and really liked it as well. Sounded meaty without being obnoxious

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Here is the muffler part number in case anyone wants it in the future.

20160720_190958 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Keeping with the low buck theme I was looking at different lift options using OEM Toyota components. I was really hoping to spend around 5-600 on a lift, but after looking around online it was running closer to a grand to buy any quality lift new.
So I started searching Craigslist and some forums for a good used lift and found a set of Tundra TRD front coils and OME 891 rear coils for $150

20160731_121401 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The PO painted the front springs silver to match his truck, I was a little hesitant because the only true way to identify these springs is from the yellow/blue yellow/yellow paint marks that were gone. I did some looking around online and they are the correct number of coils, height, diameter and bar diameter so as long as they aren't sagged out I think ill be good.
The rears are OME 891, from what I have read online they provide 3" of lift with extra load handling.

On both sets of coils the driver side is 1/3 of a coil taller, I'm guessing to compensate for fuel tank and driver weight.

In the end it should look like this, they say about 2.5" in the front and 3" in the rear. I'm going to order the corresponding adjustable Bilsteins from ebay.

4b.jpg

As long as my spring gamble pays off I should have this thing lifted for 500 bucks plus alignment.

hounddogman

Hmm those sliders look familiar and those springs look very familiar .:wavey: I haven't had time to install my sliders yet , maybe this weekend but it was good meeting with you. Hope you feel better and get your lift installed soon . I was going though some notes and found the center of wheel to fender measurements from when I took off those springs . Front was 21 3/8" and rear was 22 3/4" . That was with a little weight in back and the ARB bumper and winch up front .

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Hmm those sliders look familiar and those springs look very familiar .:wavey: I haven't had time to install my sliders yet , maybe this weekend but it was good meeting with you. Hope you feel better and get your lift installed soon . I was going though some notes and found the center of wheel to fender measurements from when I took off those springs . Front was 21 3/8" and rear was 22 3/4" . That was with a little weight in back and the ARB bumper and winch up front .

Good to see ya on here! Thanks for the well wishes, I tore some muscles so ill be down for a couple weeks, its not too bad day to day but I can't lay flat on my back or support weight away from my body with my left arm (among other things).

Its hard for me to take it easy, especially when I have parts to install haha.
Thanks for the measurements!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior