Gauging interest for new product

Would you be interested?

• Yes, I would be Interested

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • No, I would not be interested

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

ofcrtj

I am writing this thread today to try and get a feel for an early stage product that I am currently developing. The idea of this project would be pre-fabricated overland style cargo drawers, and in an effort to save the consumer money it would come disassembled and shipped "flat pack" style and the assembly would be done by the consumer (think Ikea furniture). The kit its self would be basic but efficient.

So please leave your thoughts and comments below so I can gauge interest in this product.

Also be sure to subscribe to the thread too because I will post more to it as I develop more, I know everyone loves the pics.
Cheers, JB

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
It sounds like one of the many others out there already available so far. But then again "vague" will do that.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but it also sounds like you're merely here to vacuum the forum for ideas to make a commercial product. Show us at least a prototype.

ofcrtj

It sounds like one of the many others out there already available so far. But then again "vague" will do that.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but it also sounds like you're merely here to vacuum the forum for ideas to make a commercial product. Show us at least a prototype.

Pilat, you are correct i am here for ideas, am sorry to be vague. Also a prototype is in the works and I will post pictures as it comes along. But think of it as a complete "flat packed" box to save on shipping cost and labor of the production.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I realise I have to think "flat pack". Which isn't that novel, btw. In any case, I don't care enough about this venture (among many others like you who also come here to shop for ideas with similarly vague calls to action).

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Look up "drawer kits".

I'm not going to do basic google research for you too. Again, it's prohibitively expensive to ship a full drawer setup with topplate. It's much cheaper to send the drawers disassembled, as they take up less volume. However, at that stage, it's about as easy to buy the hardware and (marine) plywood yourself and build a drawer set yourself to get an actual custom fit.

verdesardog

Explorer
I am a cabinet builder so that would not be for me, I could probably make my own custom system for less that you could sell a generic one for. BUT...there are many people without the skills or tools that might be interested in a complete system .... You would probably need to have at least a couple of different sizes for different vehicles though. Also it would have to rugged enough to not come apart in rough use so no particle board or MDF.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Here is our experience with flat packed drawer/storage systems. We use a Ikea style knock down fastener system with pre drilled holes.

There is little or no saving in shipping flat vs assembled

Some people have great difficulty putting the systems together even with instructions and videos to follow.

Some people don't read instructions

Some people don't know how to put things together.

You can spend hours on the phone and e mail trying to explain how to put the product together, or how to fix some mistake.

Sometimes the product is sent back with a note saying it doesn't work and fix it. We put it together it works and we send it back assembled.

We now send all drawer systems out pre fabricated with install instructions. Now all we have to do is talk on the phone and e mail people about installing the product.

In fairness to the overland community we had a 75% success rate with people buying the product and installing it with no issues. The 25% problem rate has to be shared between the manufacturer (me) and the buyer (you). The 25% problem rate eats up any savings sending out unassembled furniture gains. If you can crack that nut you may have a winner.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
So do you have a website, facebook or something with your concept? Interested to see what you are offering.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
From my perspective, I just don't understand the appeal of a drawer system. Having said that, I don't take long trips. We're usually gone two to four days, so I may not be the target market. It seems to me that any advantage the drawers have in terms of organization are mitigated by the added weight. I have four Wolf Packs that are labeled, which store the majority of my gear. This works well for me, makes good use of the space and is light weight. I drive a Jeep, so I have to be conscious of weight. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I also think it's worth pointing out that Martyn gave a lot of great information to a potential competitor. That's a very classy move and why I like being a part of this community. Kudos to you sir!

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Martyn is 100% correct. I should have called him before I started selling RTA drawers (Ready To Assemble)! I now also ship assembled and freight. Same cost, except I have to build custom crates. That's still easier than dealing with assembly problems. You'd be amazed what customers will do- like take a drill and saw to a $4000 drawer system because they think the instructions are wrong...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You'll learn that the vendors in this space stick together. It's in our best interest. The challenge we share is to sell a customer on a drawer system, any drawer system. From there they can deicide which one is right for them. More options mean it will become more accepted and mainstream, and that's good for everybody.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I just responded to the poll. I voted "no." The reason why is that I support the sponsors of this site and would purchase from them before I would purchase from a person or entity who joined this site for no other reason than to mine it for business prospects.

If and when the OP becomes a sponsor and a participating member I might be persuaded to change my vote, but not before.

rayra

Expedition Leader
And that right there is proof of the deep built-in problem of creating a site that is directly tied to and reliant on vendor-sponsors. In essence the whole place is 'hunting over bait' for the sponsoring vendors. Fine. Great. Kudos to the site owner for making it work for himself. But look at the binds it creates for the people visiting and using the site, it damages any 'community', instead makes the visitors to the site the commodity being sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94