I just need to boil water for coffee, what stove?

prerunner221

Adventurer
I use a Coleman stove for cooking meals, but during a 2 week cross country trip I found myself wanting something simple I could use to just boil water for coffee and Mountain House meals. My dad was using his Jetboil during our trip and it seemed to work excellent for him, but I go to their site and there are way more options than I knew existed.

What is everyone using for this type of stove? I don't mind spending some money if it means I get a product I can use for the next 20 years. Buy once, cry once. Thanks for your input.

Picture of the rig for attention.

13620830_10154318308139494_3132452158995613488_n.jpg

lchavez

Observer
I also use my jetboil mini mo for coffee and outmeal. I also have the pan which has come in handy for cooking the occasional non-bag meal. It's hard to beat for what your asking. My camp stove is the 16" partner steel. Fits perfect in a front runner wolf pack with regulators, griddle and accessories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TacomaAustin

Observer
I don't know if I can help with the buy once, cry once - since I don't trust the longevity of a modern stove - but for coffee on the road quicker is better.

My travel kit for a single coffee is shown below. Except for the coffee cup, the entire kit folds up to store in a .95L cook pot.

attachment.php

The kit, which uses a Soto Micro-Regulator burner, assembles in less than a minute. Then it takes less than a minute to boil 12 ounces of water. I'm happy with it.

The SVEA 123R in the above photo is just for a sense of scale. It's my back up and nestles with-in a 2.5L cook pot and fry pan, along with some condiments.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
You can't really go wrong with the a jet boil. I also use a MSR Pocket Rocket for backpacking. Simple, small, light. EZ to use.

captwoody

Adventurer
a pocket rocket and a large stainless sierra cup, if you look in your coffee section they have single serve coffee's . Basically a tea bag with coffee. and any of your boil in the bag dehydrated meals use less than the water held in your coffee cup. pocket rocket nest's in cup and put sugar, creamer and the coffee bags nested in the cup too. add instant oatmeal packs and some mountain house meals. takes very little space to cover 3 days of meals that can be ready in 10 minutes or less wherever you stop. throw in some MRE'S and you can easily add a couple more days of no refrigeration needed meals. Note: not glamping but just quick run and gun food

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
MSR Reactor with 1L pot for the fastest possible boiling time - even in high winds.

For slightly lighter, and very slightly slower boiling time: MSR Windboiler (I think it's called Windburner now).

Those two - but especially the reactor - shows the door to Jetboil. And with any wind it's no contest whatsoever.

For the reactor you can also get a 1.7L pot and 2.5L pot. And when you buy the burner, you can also choose which pot to buy it with (at least the 1L and the 1.7L).

Edit: I have both the 1L and the 1.7L pots and two stoves. I use the 1L for travel and as a dedicated boiling water stove. And the 1.7L for food duty. This way I can have clean water for the coffee either straight after the food, or simultaneously.

The Reactor is so fast, I strongly advice not to go away to do anything, thinking you have enough time to, say, pitch a tarp, go do your "business", do the dishes, or whatever.

Last edited:

swduncan

Observer
Jetboil works great for this, but MSR would be a higher quality, and more expensive option. That said, the Jetboil is pretty nice and I'm happy with it.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Personally I like to use white gas on all my stoves and lanterns because it's so much more efficient for for it's space:BTU ratio. And I hate the cost and waste of all those propane cylinders other stoves burn through. Plus all the gear now is dual fuel so if I mis-judge how much gas I needed and run out I can tap into my 5 gallon jerry cans and keep cooking for the last of the trip.

I just use the MSR Whisperlite international stove because it serves double duty as my backpacking stove. I don't want to spend more than I have to so I didn't buy a jetboil just for boiling water. Coleman dual burner for big trips, MSR for simple trips and backpacking.

http://amzn.to/2a9S9xG

doug720

Expedition Leader
I use 2 Coleman Peak stoves for my simple camping trips.

Cheap, easy to use, small, uses (sips) white gas, or you can find some dual fuel that will also burn unleaded gasoline. Though I prefer Coleman fuel.

You can rebuild one in 20 minutes for $20 in parts and they will last longer than we likely will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94