Modest 2002 Montero Build

zerodrift

Adventurer
Picked up a 2002 Montero for winter duty and to haul car parts a few months back. Since we picked up the car, we're slowly going over the car and sorting out all the deferred maintenance. We've also been going camping with the car a bit and getting used to what the car is capable of actually going over.

In either case, I'll be making additional posts with more pictures and likely some questions.
0616162001_HDR.jpg

0731160730a.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Picked up a 2002 Montero for winter duty and to haul car parts a few months back. Since we picked up the car, we're slowly going over the car and sorting out all the deferred maintenance. We've also been going camping with the car a bit and getting used to what the car is capable of actually going over.

In either case, I'll be making additional posts with more pictures and likely some questions.
View attachment 358859

View attachment 358863

Great looking Gen. III.
Welcome, I hope it brings you many miles of adventure.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Few pictures of several projects that we've done on the vehicle since picking it up.

Installed some hood vents the other weekend. Found the car would get quite hot when cruising with the ac on while in 4wd-lo. The vents are stainless vents found in the marine world and are very affordable.
44de08ba8bb8c20467b30e81bc098a0e.jpg

b70bda9e789599b7ca59346605845448.jpg

066ab45b56ee45384a03502ddf9d5fff.jpg

4c73d9e11700f2babc91fe9798fc2368.jpg

a4ae91f9b06aa71f01fa7a1b38f26d10.jpg

3856c5e1b5fb5cac462605ef8259e8fa.jpg

5d8dde5c8bd3cba4d3a72563330648e9.jpg

0bf02d566a9689500456ab88799f5b20.jpg

zerodrift

Adventurer
When we first picked up the Montero, it would hardly idle and had numerous issues caused by a severe lack of maintenance. We tore into it straight away to bring maintenance items up to par.

Cleaning headlights, plugs, wires, compression test, coils, igniter and a few other odds and ends...
f3b9146a65b008cb60dfdd634f597d4a.jpg

0527711cb982710488eeaed8da107228.jpg

46328f5169a6cbca8489f90ee12d255c.jpg

bc203c4c8cd9a0e2d67531717c434b92.jpg

19ddc28d83c3b58924556a56ae3f6350.jpg

2ddbfa61225c98f8975ede0f7a51473b.jpg

e5e11f90f302cfb9c2c70a344f471eb0.jpg

3ca7dc3c2615211943a0df3e5cf364c2.jpg

zerodrift

Adventurer
Next few projects are still in the works, but a few more pictures...

0a1eb2e1494b2b64b071a779a25d0a7e.jpg

0326016aa88c89b15e795e57fce608c7.jpg

5f572594df6a019b2277fb16c77271b7.jpg

f7bcb132e4a6834f485028ec44cfae04.jpg

0968bbae354fe792d24cb586572e0483.jpg

218db2f7576af4fe432177020025acef.jpg

Rear struts have yet to be installed as I'm hoping to get matching boots.
55bb428e833349abe128a3a0283c4ff0.jpg

Did a quick repay with a rattle can to mend the missing paint on the sides.
bc23be6feba1f1880453d78fc2801e7e.jpg

zerodrift

Adventurer
Welcome and nice work so far! How do the bilsteins ride?
Thanks! I've only installed the front struts so far and they are certainly better than nearly blown struts, which is my only composition. They display typical mono tube strut design where the is a little 'sticktion' with the first movement, but great control and feel once on the move. This gives them a bit of a harsh sensation initially, but I'm finding I like them for surface roads as they have a nice linear feel as opposed to a SUV that originally wallowed about. I've no experience with the car prior to these new struts on washboard roads, but will say they seem a little harsh when going certain speeds.

I'm likely just going to install the rear struts as is in the next week or two and will report back.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The hood vents are a nice addition.

If possible, let us know how much it brought your engine temp. down.

Edit: What type of radiator did you install?

Last edited:

bikerjosh

Explorer
Nice job on installing the vents. Have you noticed any difference in engine temps, since installing?
BTW-what did you use to cut the slots in your hood; looks clean.
Josh

zerodrift

Adventurer
I've yet to do any low range driving while it's hot, but I can certainly notice heat escaping from the vents while stopped.

I used an air powered reciprocating saw for the cuts. They aren't perfectly straight, but good enough. Just drill pilot holes on the corners, and a large starting hole to insert the saw- then just a steady hand for the rest.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Very nice work.
Do you like how the yellow lights work for visibility? I think they look cool on your truck.
Are the new Philips bulbs a big improvement over original?
Good to see everyone who is doing some work on Gen 3's. Very helpful for those of us that need to do the same.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Very nice work.
Do you like how the yellow lights work for visibility? I think they look cool on your truck.
Are the new Philips bulbs a big improvement over original?
Good to see everyone who is doing some work on Gen 3's. Very helpful for those of us that need to do the same.
The lights have great output and the color is very intense. The output is good for a drop in led kit, however this is my first experience with a led retrofit bulb. I've honestly not had functional bulbs prior to this as the car had a bad relay and bulbs when purchased.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

122andy

Observer
Nice start on your build! I did the same thing to my fog lights, much better look and I like visibility better at night too.
To those asking about vents in the hood affecting engine temps. It will only help keep engine compartment temps down. The thermostat is for controlling engine temps, doesn't matter if it's a 100 deg out or 0 degrees out, it will still be the same temp that the thermostat is rated at.

Last edited:

Snowrydr01

Observer
Nice start on your build! I did the same thing to my fog lights, much better look and I like visibility better at night too.
To those asking about vents in the hood affecting engine temps. It will only help keep engine compartment temps down. The thermostat is for controlling engine temps, doesn't matter if it's a 100 deg out or 0 degrees out, it will still be the same temp that the thermostat is rated at.

Thermodynamics are not my strong suit but aren't those two very closely related? Once the thermostat opens at its designated temp, the air movement through the rad and into the engine bay is what is removing that heat from the engine via the coolant until below that thermostat open temp. So i imagine the hood vents intent is to aid in returning to that temp as quickly as possible. Its not like an engine bay is air tight but but in a slow moving scenario it is likely that engine bay temps are rising since there is no vacuum pulling the now heated air out like at speed. And since we all know heat rises, in theory at slow speed that hot air would be escaping more easily through the hood allowing outside air to travel through the rad without having to try to push that building hot air down and out from the engine bay. From there the conversation could turn to the effective CFM of the rad fan and the seals around it and to a lesser extent removing that hot air permeating into the block of an engine is letting the coolant work fractionally more efficient.

Again, all in theory and could be miles off from reality but after 4 years working in a company that designed very large HVAC units for rail cars i had it beat into me by the engineers that ANY and EVERYTHING that helps in air movement does help in how quickly temperatures can shift, its just the extent of that help that can be argued about.

Last edited:

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'll chime in on the thermodynamics perspective, basically you're both right.

The thermostat opens at a specific temperature (usually it's a single temperature) which allows coolant to circulate to the radiator where it can release heat into the air moving through the radiator, so the engine temperature is regulated by the thermostat.

But here's the tricky part, if there isn't enough (or too much) heat rejection from the radiator, which can happen due to extreme ambient temperatures, clogged radiator due to internal calcification/external application of mud, or lack of air flow due to slow speed or broken fan blades the coolant loop can't reject enough heat to keep the engine in the desired operating zone.

This is why in very cold climates you often see big rig trucks put a blanket over their grill because the cold airflow through the grill at highway speeds never lets the engine reach proper operating temperature even with the thermostat stuck closed. The same basic principle (but in reverse) occurs at high ambient temperatures with low airflow (climbing mountains slowly in Arizona in August). Because your fan is driven by the engine belt it's linked to engine speed and goes no faster if the engine is too hot and furthermore because the thermostat is already wide open coolant can't flow any faster.

By reducing the pressure drop across the radiator you can get more airflow with the same fan speed, and the easiest way to reduce the pressure drop is give the air an easy way to escape from the engine bay - hence big holes in the hood. While technically "heat rises" due to density changes which cause convective currents, if the engine is hot the fan is on and convection contribution is small comparatively to the blasting fan. Alternatives could be a bigger fan (more required HP), a bigger radiator surface (aftermarket unit), higher coolant flow (bigger water pump), or something more exotic like a secondary cooler or intake water injection.

I like the cheap-n-cheerful improvement due to the hood vents, also, they look cool so that's a plus. I've been playing with the idea of installing a methanol/water injection system - but to be clear it's mostly for kicks and giggles and probably totally unnecessary...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles