New to JK's but not to Jeeps

So I just pulled the trigger on a 2007 JKU Shara . It has 130k on the clock but only 3k on a new jasper 3.8l . This is my 4th Jeep . First was a 1993 XJ ,lift tires lots af replacement parts till I drove it into the ground .Second was a 1988 YJ laredo , Lift tires loved not having a top . Third was a 2005 TJ Rocky Mountain edition , had this one a very short time as the ex wife did not like it at all . The last one was 7 years ago . I have missed the jeep and everything that goes with it .The new wife also likes Jeeps , her only concern was that we had 4 doors .This will be a slow build and be more of a adventure style vehicle rather than what I did with the first two .I have a few questions . I kayak 2 out of 4 weekends during the summer , I know that I will have to get a rack is there one better than others , I have a soft top .Second questions is what is the better of the small lifts I would like to run a 35 or 315 . Thanks in advance

Fishrising

Observer
I would recommend a Gobi rack and the AEV 2.5" Dualsport XT lift kit with geometry correction brackets. This is based on my own research, and not actually owning either. But both are on my list...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I recommend the teraflex 2.5" lift, with their control arms. Its what i run and love it. There is no difference with the control arms vs drop brackets driveability wise, but you get a more stout arm, and more ground clearance vs. the brackets. For the roof rack, I would also recommend teraflex's NEBO rack. much lower profile, and more cost friendly than other racks. again, Its what is going on my jeep because its a great product.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Sorry, got most of this typed up before I read you have a soft top, but might be a good option if you can pick up a hard top.

New here, just a few posts, but just installed a NEBO this weekend. I would highly recommend. I hate exo cages and this one actually has more static carrying capacity since it is tied into the sport cage. Very nice product. Instructions are great. Templates are even in full color. Stressful cutting into your hardtop, but very well laid out templates and as long as you measure a bunch, you are good. That said the first time I laid out the template it was dead on to the 1/16". I did't do the full slat kit as I didn't need $600 worth of slats but I picked up 2. Now just to figure out how to mount my new CVT tent.

Not worth buying a hard top for the roof rack IMO. That said, I am going to fab up some crossbars using the NEBO roll bar mounts for when my top is not on(which is From March to Sept). Seems like there are quite a few that use similar mounting systems that aren't the big exo cage style if you don't like those. I had one of the EXO Smittybilt ones I got in a trade but never mounted it. Seemed well built enough, but wasn't impressed with the powdercoating as it was a few years old and was flaking off everywhere.

roof rack.jpg

roof rack2.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There is no difference with the control arms vs drop brackets driveability wise, but you get a more stout arm, and more ground clearance vs. the brackets.

I would disagree. While an adjustable arm can help dial in pinion angle, center the axle, and maybe help with caster to some degree, they do not make up for bad geometry. With a 2" lift the geometry change is minimal. That is probably why you are not seeing a huge change, but eventually ( as lift height increases ) the geometry needs to be corrected.

kojackJKU

That's what is being talked about...at 2.5, I would rather run my sport control arms than the drop brackets. above that, 3.5-4" yes the drop brackets help. At those heights and 37s for tires, you can sacrifice a bit of clearance...with 33's and 2"-2.5" of lift, I would rather run the arms and have more clearance.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
sweet rack. ha ha. I love the nebo for its OEM ish look!

Yep, me too. Not too obtrusive.

I just have a cheap rough country lift on mine (purchased that way) but it came with new longer front lca's. Gotta admit this thing drives really well and tracks straight. Ive abused it a little and it has held up ok. Friend of mine with the teraflex/mopar stage 3 lift ended up picking up the drop brackets as well and really likes how it drives now(even with the new control arms). That said, I wouldn't do rough country. I really like the RK stuff and would probably go along those lines if I didn't make the mistake with the rough country lift.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That's what is being talked about...at 2.5, I would rather run my sport control arms than the drop brackets. above that, 3.5-4" yes the drop brackets help. At those heights and 37s for tires, you can sacrifice a bit of clearance...with 33's and 2"-2.5" of lift, I would rather run the arms and have more clearance.

I would agree that with the short lift that the clearance is nice, but arms don't do all the same things as brackets.

The brackets can make geometry changes ( Roll slope, Anti-Dive/Anti-lift, pinion angle change, caster change, etc) while adjustable control arms only allow you to change things like pinion angle vs caster and/or axle position.
We should be careful with blanket statements about technical details with many people just getting into the sport and all it's intricacies.

kojackJKU

I would agree that with the short lift that the clearance is nice, but arms don't do all the same things as brackets.

The brackets can make geometry changes ( Roll slope, Anti-Dive/Anti-lift, pinion angle change, caster change, etc) while adjustable control arms only allow you to change things like pinion angle vs caster and/or axle position.
We should be careful with blanket statements about technical details with many people just getting into the sport and all it's intricacies.

Again, I have driven back to back, my jeep with teraflex sport control arms, and an aev bracket equipped 2.5" lift jeep. there is NO noticable difference between them. In anti dive, anti lift, etc...Real world results....no difference. But there is one big difference.....ground clearance. So again, IMO on a 2.5" lift I would still go with control arms. Lift higher and yes, the drop brackets advantages become more noticeable. 2.5" I would take the advantage of the arms. The owner of the aev equipped jeep had the same response as me.

BTW, AWESOME MOG!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Again, I have driven back to back, my jeep with teraflex sport control arms, and an aev bracket equipped 2.5" lift jeep. there is NO noticable difference between them. In anti dive, anti lift, etc...Real world results....no difference. But there is one big difference.....ground clearance. So again, IMO on a 2.5" lift I would still go with control arms. Lift higher and yes, the drop brackets advantages become more noticeable. 2.5" I would take the advantage of the arms. The owner of the aev equipped jeep had the same response as me.

BTW, AWESOME MOG!

Again, I agree that on the 2.5 you are likely better off just using adjustable arms BUT this will change if lift height where to increase. Bad handling characteristics and some funky caster/pinion movement can happen as the lift continues to increase. I just want people to be aware that there is not a one size fits all solution.

Thanks on the Mog, it was just a concept I was working on, it hasn't got built yet. These days I just play around with old junk mostly.

kojackJKU

Again, I agree that on the 2.5 you are likely better off just using adjustable arms BUT this will change if lift height where to increase. Bad handling characteristics and some funky caster/pinion movement can happen as the lift continues to increase. I just want people to be aware that there is not a one size fits all solution.

Thanks on the Mog, it was just a concept I was working on, it hasn't got built yet. These days I just play around with old junk mostly.

Ha ha...awesome.

I have been eyeballing doing a custom class c 4x4 lifted. Seen a few now and Just think they are awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz