FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

Thank you Stan. Roger that on the details. Remember when I called for advice? And I told you what I thought it might cost to do this install? Ok, so we've had some scope creep, but we're no where near that original dollar amount. Thanks again for your up-front guidance.

Update - the truck is on the ground with only a few minor details left. Working on the wiring now and the hardest part here is fixing what they cut up for the original MBZ swap.

I can't wait to drive this truck.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I've got a question about the pass. side exhaust crossing over where you did it. Any problems, contact with the front driveshaft? I'm thinking of moving mine back there somewhere, right now I have it crossing under the front of the oil pan.

Thanks,
Ron

No problem on this truck. This project is different though. There is that huge chasm under the stock bellhousing where the stock flywheel used to go that allowed me to tuck it up higher than normal.

Regardless of the bellhousing area, it all really depends on how much suspension travel you have. I haven't flexed this suspension completely, but it looks like the diff will hit the oil pan before the driveshaft will hit the exhaust.

Help please.

I need help. Doing the wiring now and trying to identify all of the clipped wires has got me scratching my head. Remember, the MBZ engine was in it when I got it.

Questions:

What side of the engine bay is the original temp sender wire?
Color?
Ignition power wire?
Color?

Does anybody have a close up pic of a stock engine bay they can share?

screwball48

Explorer
If you know some one in the telephone or alarm business call and ask to borrow a toner kit. That is if one end of a wire is easy to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doug720

Expedition Leader
This is from a 9/85 60.

I don't know the colors, as mine were changed when I swapped engines, but for stock wires -

The coolant sensor wire exits the loom near the cylinder head

The ignition wire exits the same loom below the windshield wiper motor and wiper fluid bottle - As I recall this may be a white wire?

Nice work!

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was able to locate the wires I needed. There are a few "extra" wires that have been previously clipped, and I hate the thought of leaving them un-terminated, but I've come up with a solution. I'm going to pull the tape back to be able to bundle them all in one branch and then heat shrink the tips and wrap them so they are hidden, but close by if they are needed for some unforeseen use.

The engine runs now and sounds great. I ran it long enough to cycle the coolant.

Gifu

Observer
impressive build. Super sano. I like it. I'm a diesel nerd... but I spend a lot of time debating about how awful the 5 cylinder MBZ motor is for a Cruiser (even a 40 series). Maybe... MAYBE in a Hilux... but they don't fit well.
Do you think the slave cylinder can handle the exhaust that close?
I thought someone had an inline device that screwed into the mechanical speedometer to provide a VSS? Painless(ful)?

Thanks. I have the MBZ engine for sale...!

The in-line VSS would have been a nice option except for the fact that to get it to send the correct 17 pulse code required for the manual trans computer, I would have had to run a converter box from Dakota Digital. This setup is much simpler and cleaner.

Lots of progress has been made in the past week. The wiring is 90% complete, with only finish work left to do on it. There was a ton of repair work to do on the electrical and while I was in there, I cleaned it all up and installed connectors in various places to make future repairs easier. Nobody likes to have to clip wires to pull them through the firewall...

The temp gauge is working now (it was the green wire) and all other gauges with the exception of the tach are working too. The old tach harness was clipped when the MBZ motor was installed so I think I need to track down the ground and make the connection. I am prepared for the tach reading to be off (6cyl vs 8cyl) but if this tach is like the other Toyota tachs, it should be adjustable. If not, I'll have to figure something out there.

Pics coming soon, but right now I don't have the time to put them all together. I'd rather get the truck done!

Anybody here know of a shop that can paint me a new tach face for the stock FJ60 tach? The client wants to use the original gauge, but it only reads to 4300 RPMs. The LS spins freely to @ 6500.

I've got a call into APT Instruments and he's going to let me know, but it's nice to have options.

Clintnz

Observer
Very nice work!

To re-calibrate my speedo for diff & tyre changes I just made up an image on the computer by pasting an MS Excel pie chart into MS Paint, a bit of lettering & fiddling & scaling... print it out & glue it on.

rP1030478_zps152ae92a.jpg

Someone with better graphics skills & software could likely draw up something that looked totally factory.

Cheers
Clint

I thought about printing a sticker myself, but I want it to look absolutely perfect. Chuck at APT Instruments in MN is going to tackle the job for me. The cost is about $350 for the electrical and art work, but that's about $200 less than other companies I called.

Thanks for the offer tacollie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz