Rightline duffle for extra cargo storage

EMrider

Explorer
I've been very pleased with my JKUR, but one reasonable gripe is the lack of interior cargo room......at least compared with other full size vehicles.

Last week I took my three kids camping at Monache meadows. This is our favorite spot. It is located up on the Kern plateau and accessible via a moderate but long 4x4 trail that effectively filters out the crowds. One Wed night we had the entire place to ourselves.

Because of some narrow spots on the trail, I decided to take the JKUR. But with four passengers, I knew that cargo room would be a problem even if I tried to be a minimalist in terms of packing. Even with a strong effort to keep the weight down, I'm sure that I was at max weight capacity, or perhaps a bit above.

Some research turned up these rooftop cargo bags from Rightline.

http://www.rightlinegear.com/4x4-duffle-bag.html

I'd never heard of this product and there weren't many reviews, but I was in a pinch and lacking other options, so I bought two of their 4x4 rooftop cargo bags.

These cargo bags are very well made and they proved to be an excellent way to carry bulky but relatively light items like sleeping bags, sleeping pads, clothes and tents. The attachment points are very secure and they didn't budge after 4 hours of highway driving and two hours of getting tossed around on the trail. Both bags were filled to max capacity.

Rightline makes a big deal about these bage being waterproof, which I didn't think would matter during July in So Cal. But while packing and during our drive out, we got hit with very heavy thundershowers. The waterproof claims are legit.

I think that others might find these roof bags an inexpensive (vs. most other options like roof racks) and effective way to increase a JK's cargo capacity.

All that said, I really felt the JKUR's weight capacity limitations on this trip. I see a trailer in my future at some point.

R

Vinman

Observer
Thanks for posting this, these bags are exactly what I have been looking for to carry on top of my Kamparoo trailer.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Very cool find, I just a Yakima skybox for 1/3 price, but I would given these a try. Maybe I still will.

BCobe

Adventurer
I was thinking about some sort of roof storage option the other day. These fit the bill, would still want to pair with a roof rack though. Thanks for posting these up!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice bag

I have one sized to fit the rear rack.
Nice quality for the money.
Bought it through Amazon for a good price. :)

Attachments

• Rightline-bag.jpg
    Rightline-bag.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 30

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Awesome. My solution for camper and roof rack bags...sweet...and at 69 bucks each its a no brainer! Those things are a must have for us!

kojackJKU

Scott, do you think they would hold up to the rigors of airline ramppys? my last hard-shells got smoked by them.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure there is anything that can withstand the rigors of checked baggage... roflol!

The carry strap is clipped on, and when not in use, stowed in the exterior pocket. If you removed the carry strap before checking the bag, it would probably be fine.
It is a PVC coated high denier fabric, so over time the PVC coating is going to abrade and wear.
Personally I would like the bag even better if the PVC coating was on the inside, like my old dive bag. I think it would increase the durability. But for $69 with the excellent zipper and zipper flap, it's a really good inexpensive option, in my opinion.

kojackJKU

Pelican Luggage can, but damn, that stuff is PRICEY! 500 american for one case....ouch.....I think the bags are pretty awesome for 70 bucks each.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Kind of want to try these guys out considering the price. Been running an ARB duffle on my rack for some time but it's starting to show its wear with a few holes that need some patching but still very pleased considering I haven't been the kindest to it for the last 2 years. Think a hard box, like Pelican, up top might be in the future however. More expensive but a lot more durable for longterm use. Plus stickers stick a little better on hard plastic:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94