Got an AT Bobcat, need a truck. Considerations for ~ year 2000-2004?? Advice??

Munchmeister

Observer
First timer, be gentle. Getting an AT Bobcat shell model and need a truck. Camper first, truck second. Also want to mount a motorcycle rack, probably on the front with a hitch type carrier. Small Honda CRF250L, ~350lbs. 1-2 people on board, 2 tiny dogs. Wanna wander the west, north etc. What would you look for in payload capacity, while trying to keep it closer to the part of the spectrum that gets better gas mileage? I know I can mount it on a one ton dually. I don't want to drive that kind of over kill and won't be attempting to bag old mining passes either. Any recommendations appreciated.

subterran

Adventurer
Maybe a 1st gen Tundra would be the rig for you. With my setup, a V6 Tacoma, I have a Yamaha Zuma 50 that weighs about 225#, and I have a hitch carrier for it. I could do it in a pinch, but it puts me over GVW with the camper loaded with water and gear, so I don't. I think the Tundra would do it fine.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
With a camper on the back the fuel ecomomy advantages of a smaller truck are diminished somewhat. How heavy is the camper?

I'm also thinking about going with a similar setup for two people and two small dogs and am wondering if I could live with a regular cab.

Have a chat with Marty or Jeff at ATC to get their thoughts on a truck that will adequately handle a hitch mount bike and still be a good fit for a Bobcat. If it were me, I'd pull a small aluminum trailer for the bike and any additional gear that won't fit in the camper.

We are putting a Bobcat shell on a Ranger.

subterran

Adventurer
Have a chat with Marty or Jeff at ATC to get their thoughts on a truck that will adequately handle a hitch mount bike and still be a good fit for a Bobcat. If it were me, I'd pull a small aluminum trailer for the bike and any additional gear that won't fit in the camper.

We are putting a Bobcat shell on a Ranger.

I agree - this makes a lot of sense.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I have an 05 Tundra, access cab, 4x4 and love it !

But once you have camper & bike on it, fuel mpg sucks, lol. Maybe 12 or 13 mpg best case. :)

rangerdogg

Adventurer
I have a hawk on a 01 tundra ac. Like Stan said I get aboUt the same mileage . I had new leafs put in the others were original and had a extra lead put in same time . Perfect size truck .

Munchmeister

Observer
With a camper on the back the fuel ecomomy advantages of a smaller truck are diminished somewhat. How heavy is the camper?

I'm also thinking about going with a similar setup for two people and two small dogs and am wondering if I could live with a regular cab.
Camper is ~600lbs. No built in onboard water storage, grey tanks, etc. The weight of the bike is right at 350lbs, the carrier might add ~40-50lbs, so make it 400lbs off the back end of the pickup. So I'd be at 1000lbs without gear, food, water, etc. Most estimates I've seen say to consider gear & food to be another 500lbs, which seems like a lot to me. I've been backpacking & motorcycle camping for many years so I know how to go relatively light. I'm solo so no need for a makeup kit & blow dryer . I'm trying to keep the cost down, too (retired). I've seen many photos of small motos on the backs of rigs but also hear stories of folks going over GVWR frequently & worrying about stressing their rigs. Retirement is about reducing stress, not creating it. Ha! Early model Tundra (~2000-2002) might fit the bill.

35xj

Adventurer
Probably overkill, but....

I have an 05 dodge cummins to haul my FWC grandby around. With my ktm 950 super enduro on the back on a very heavy hitch hauler rack it was sagging the back of the truck 3 inches. Airbags fixed that

txtiger

I tried a similar setup. I put a front hitch on my 2000 F250 and bought the best hitch carrier I could find (Moto Tote) to carry my DRZ. The problem I had was the front hitch was way too high and it was very difficult to load the bike, and I couldn't see past it due to the height. I wound up buying a lightweight Aluma trailer to carry the motorcycle and other stuff. My camper overhangs the truck bed by 14" and the trailer has a long (4') tongue and a folding jack so works greats.

We have an Aluma trailer as well. Extra gear, plus racks on top for the skinny boats. As soon as I restore the Trail 90, it will travel there, too.

Munchmeister

Observer
Yeah, I've got a HF 4x8 trailer already setup to haul a motorcycle. It would travel fine & I can load it with junk I probably won't need. My idea is to travel with minimal stuff with a low profile popup. I've been doing it for some time on my bigger motorcycle, a 2002 BMW R1150GS. Got used to carrying what I need on that beast and will do so again, I hope. But going solo on the GS, which weighs about ~600+ lbs loaded for such trips, is getting to be a lot to handle. Especially on anything that is not covered in smooth asphalt. Getting old ain't for sissies as my Pops used to say. I'm thinking this would be a way to be able to get where I want, then unload my small Honda CRF250L for buzzing around a bit & back to the same bed & gear in the popup. Of course I can do all this pulling the HF or some other small trailer, but they are always a bit of a PITA. Then again, so is a big honkin' F250. :bike_rider:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I just picked up a 1998 Four Wheel Camper shell model, the plate says it weighs around 800 pounds. I'm using my 2006 4cylinder 5spd 4X4 Tacoma to haul it. On the trip home, with only a set of helper springs on the back, the truck rode fine but was sagged. I did not have any sway issues though. I've ordered an add a leaf and Timbrens for the rear and while I'm at it, I'm putting Timbrens on the front with a hitch. My plan is to throw a TW200 on the front sometimes, more often a bicycle rack. I was surprised at how well the truck handled the camper with only helper springs. I have owned a 2001 Tundra and I think if you did similar mods, add a leaf with Timbrens/airbags you shouldn't have a problem. The Timbrens on the front are designed for plows and such, so I think they will work find with a moto.

There really isn't much of a size difference from a first gen Tundra and the current gen Tacoma. Yes the Tundra is bigger but overall, they are similar. The pros to the Tundra are the V8 and starting out with a "half ton" rating. Suspension wise, they are almost identical to the Tacoma. I would just look out for Frame Rust depending on where you are looking to purchase. The Tundras of that gen were subject to the recall and many did get new frames.

Post pictures of your setup once you get there!!!

Cheers,
Jorge

subterran

Adventurer
I just picked up a 1998 Four Wheel Camper shell model, the plate says it weighs around 800 pounds. I'm using my 2006 4cylinder 5spd 4X4 Tacoma to haul it. On the trip home, with only a set of helper springs on the back, the truck rode fine but was sagged. I did not have any sway issues though. I've ordered an add a leaf and Timbrens for the rear and while I'm at it, I'm putting Timbrens on the front with a hitch. My plan is to throw a TW200 on the front sometimes, more often a bicycle rack. I was surprised at how well the truck handled the camper with only helper springs. I have owned a 2001 Tundra and I think if you did similar mods, add a leaf with Timbrens/airbags you shouldn't have a problem. The Timbrens on the front are designed for plows and such, so I think they will work find with a moto.

I would LOVE to see a photo of this all rigged up. My rig is 'similar' weight, on a '98 V6 Taco, and I have been considering trying to carry my Yamaha Scooter, at about #225, but am afraid to. Give me courage! :smiley_drive:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Well, I'd have to get the TW first ha ha ha. I'll post up a picture from next weekend when we are all loaded up. The new helper springs and rear timbrens are going on tomorrow. I got the front ones on and the hitch already. Interestingly, the front and rear timbrens I got for my 06 Tacoma also work on 07-15 Tundras. Maybe even the newer ones, I didn't bother looking deeper.

-jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior