Setting up the JK Unlimited for travel....

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am working on the back of my rig now for travel. I am getting 2 action packers with swag mounts and my coleman Powerchill in the other side. I am going to go with the 8 gal packer for my chuck box and the 24 gallon for storage for dry food and clothing etc....and the power chill will keep the other food cool. usually we only do weekend trips at this point in our lives. So this setup will work great. We are doing a 2-3wk trip with our pop up next summer so again, this setup will be great.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Be sure to post some pictures of how you pack if you can. Always nice to see how others arrange their gear. Btw, how do you like your power chill? A friend of mine gave me theirs after it sat in their basement for the last two years. He said they bought it, used it once and put it back in the box. I plugged it in and it got somewhat cool after a couple of hours. He left some gel type freezer things in the box too. Said they help to maintain a cooler temp or pre-cool it. For free it was hard to pass up.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I heard the thermo electric fridge/coolers are power hogs and can only cool so much below the ambient temp. I agree tho can't beat free :)

What are you guys using as a power source for the power chiller? That would be my only concern aside from camping in the heat of summer and the temp being so high the cooler can't get cold enough.

kojackJKU

They are power hogs for sure. However, sitting in my house after 3 hrs of running I had ice in my diet pepsi cans. Pre cooling is essential, and having some ice paks or frozen water bottles are a huge bonus....remember that airflow is essential...so leave some space around stuff to circulate the air. Also, remember to unplug when stopping the rig. The icepaks and frozen water bottles will keep things cool while stopped. I used mine alot and think its fine for a couple of days toolin around the backcountry.

Power source is the jeep mainly. It will be in an air con'ed Jeep during the day and it gets cold here in the night....so its all good. Already used it a bunch of times. At some point I am getting a real fridge I can keep running around the same size as the power chill...but until then I am running what I brung. I got it on sale at wal mart for 79,99 cdn so that was a steal!

Another group of items we are getting is the springtail barricade and cargo mounts for the rear of the jeep. The cargo mounts hold ammo cans, which one will be recovery gear, the other will be a tool box. my first aid gear is under the cargo area in the back. The springtail gear is AWESOME...and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I found this action packer on the ole google image search. This is exactly what I am doing for our 8 gallon chuck box.

P1010846.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Very interesting use of the viewtainers in the lid as utensil organizers. Good way to organize but still see stuff.

It's a little too much OCD for me, I'm not one for putting containers inside of containers inside of containers. Lot of bulk, weight and room lost.

funny synchronicity too as I was just watching a Ron Paulk video about his work trailer organization. He's uses Viewtainers extensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eex9TzYddMM

kojackJKU

Yeah, I saw it and thought it was really cool Everything mounted on the outside of the packer is removeable and stored inside. Its a pretty cool neat setup.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I though a lot about the Action Packers, but in the end went with Wolf Packs. The biggest factor to me was the straight sides and built in handles, which in my estimation meant a better use of space. Secondary was that I thought they were stronger. So far I've been very happy with them and they fit well in the JKU.

Post #16 in this thread shows my Jeep with two of my four Wolf Packs. For some reason I can't select the pix on my iPad and add them to this post

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ck-up-a-JKU-for-camping?p=1999517#post1999517.

kojackJKU

Yeah, I saw that, nice setup. I am using the swag and packer setup as I have the action packers already, and I love that 8 gallon chukbox setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne