Yukon XL 2500 build thread

boss324

Observer
Nice I have the same setup did you do the cognito steering brace? You should. After about 5k miles my steering was loose and shimmied off road badly. The steering brace made everything OEM again.

Pic of my Burb

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Honestly, the jayco isn't my favorite. It's really tight inside and no room really for anyone to "hang out" in there. The couch and dining table face the same direction making conversation difficult. So we stay outside, which is great but the. Defeats the point of hauling this beast around. I haven't really found a floor plan I like. All I really need is a completely open area with bunks, queen bed and a bathroom. Because in all but the most extreme weather we cook outside. This way we could sit inside (sometimes kids need corralling). I'm just kinda scared to start modifying this big trailer.

But the 8.1 tows well it well. Not sure how much heavier I'd want to go. Sure it could do it, but it would be "effort" at that point. And because it's naturally aspirated it lost considerable power at altitude.

sounds like we are in the exact same boat. i liked the 264bh at first, because its simple. no slides to mess up, light weight, lots of sleeping room, great price, etc. id like to get something smaller so we can do more travelling around, further distances.id like to be able to get into some tighter areas also, i know lots of local areas that are great boondocking spots but if i was away, somewhere else, id likely have to drop the trailer to scout around areas, which is fine too, just not as convenient.

the trailer has the things I like and couldn't give up, like the tub the kids can bath in, double over double bunks, separate fridge/freezer oven (which hasn't been used). my wife hates the dinette, unused space, we very rarely eat inside. the sofa i dont care for at all. a couple feet shorter trailer, or cabinet/counter space and no sofa is what i dream of. So, im thinking of trading in, or at least tossing the idea around of a 24ft with slide.

or maybe making some changes to this one.

how does the trailer tow with the axles flipped? notice any extra sway?

Just a heads up, I lost my fresh water tank on a backroad, it was full. they use big 9/16 bolts through the 3/16" straps that hold the tank to the 1/8" crossmember. no nuts. i rachet strapped it back up with alot of cuss words to make it where we were going, but i re secured it with clip nuts and bolts. really annoying they build stuff this way.

Oobray

Adventurer
sounds like we are in the exact same boat. i liked the 264bh at first, because its simple. no slides to mess up, light weight, lots of sleeping room, great price, etc. id like to get something smaller so we can do more travelling around, further distances.id like to be able to get into some tighter areas also, i know lots of local areas that are great boondocking spots but if i was away, somewhere else, id likely have to drop the trailer to scout around areas, which is fine too, just not as convenient.

the trailer has the things I like and couldn't give up, like the tub the kids can bath in, double over double bunks, separate fridge/freezer oven (which hasn't been used). my wife hates the dinette, unused space, we very rarely eat inside. the sofa i dont care for at all. a couple feet shorter trailer, or cabinet/counter space and no sofa is what i dream of. So, im thinking of trading in, or at least tossing the idea around of a 24ft with slide.

or maybe making some changes to this one.

how does the trailer tow with the axles flipped? notice any extra sway?

Just a heads up, I lost my fresh water tank on a backroad, it was full. they use big 9/16 bolts through the 3/16" straps that hold the tank to the 1/8" crossmember. no nuts. i rachet strapped it back up with alot of cuss words to make it where we were going, but i re secured it with clip nuts and bolts. really annoying they build stuff this way.

I have the steering brace kit but haven't installed yet due to time. I've been traveling a lot for work and right now on a 2 week vacation with the fam. By the time I get back I'll be scrambling to get the rear drivers and rear hatch door locks replaced. They stopped working, and I finally got my plan for a rear organization setup I'm hoping to have before 10/1 when deer season starts!!!

Yeah we're not really using the trailer right now. Partly because the layout didn't work for us and partly because my son (18months) is absolutely crazy (I know, you think you have a crazy kid, but Charlie puts Dennis the Menace to shame!!!) and it's really difficult to travel with him because he has to be contained better than supermax prison!! Also, it's being rented and has made us $1,500 since June. Hopefully I'll be updating soon with pics of my storage box / slide.

jonpaul

Great thread! Been hoping someone would start one for 8.1 XL. I found an 02 this spring with only 33K miles. Had to go out of state to pick up but who cares. Daily driver for around town, some interstate, and weekend camping.

Have you tried or do you run ethanol free gasoline? I found a station this week that offers and trying out. Too soon to tell on any mileage difference only used 1/4 tank. BUT, I can tell a major difference in the throttle response, much quicker and feels stronger through the whole RPM range. I won't go back to blended.

Oobray

Adventurer
Holy cow, 33k???!!! That's amazing!!!

I doubt ethanol free will make a difference worth the cost. There's really no way to make the 8.1 "efficient". Imagine two rows of four 1 liter bottles. That's the motor turning at avg1,800 rpm. Kinda impressive to me that it even does 11mpg!!! Honestly the 8.1 is cool, but if you're not pulling a trailer I'm not really sure it's worth having. The 5.7 gets better mpg and can be found in 2500 burbs from the late 90's I think.

Oobray

Adventurer
Well, got my rear storage mostly built this weekend. Actually took way less time than I thought it would. Of course I had help (my 8 year old daughter, who is an excellent measurer!!) What I did was pretty much design this as a simple (I have zero wood working skills) design that would accommodate some free stuff I acquired from work. We were going to throw away some plastic totes/bins at work. I have never seen totes like this. The plastic is 1/2" thick and absolutely indestructible. These are NOT rubbermaid type bins. When measuring, luck would have it that they would fit two across when turned on their long side. So I designed this to fit four bins on the underside of the platform.

So I can put four bins under there, and I put a piece of plywood in the rear at 34" (which is a little more than half the whole depth) that way I can shove the bins all the way in, but they can't go too far to the back.

Then, at work we have many, many of those TruckVault type drawer systems for our company vehicles. Our mechanic was about to throw one out because it was all beat up.So I convinced him to let me take out the slides. These are 32" slides, extending to 64" with a 500# capacity at full extension. So I utilized these and some 3/4" plywood to make a deck on top that slides. The reason I wanted the slide on top is because my main activity in the truck is hunting. So all the stuff on top is usually longer/bigger such as deer stands, tree saws, ground blinds, corn, feeders etc. So I used metal inserts inside 2x2's as the "base" of the slide, then screwed the plywood on top. I did this because I wanted to be able to detach the top slide and remove it easily when I need to use my third row seat. Oh, I also measured this out to where the third row seat is just folded up inside the truck so I didn't have to figure out a way to store it at my house somewhere.

I attached the slides to the top of the box with 2" aluminum angle.

I'm going to go ahead and use it for a while before painting/staining it. What I'm trying to figure out how is a good way to lock it open/closed. Any thoughts?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have a yukon (not XL) and it has been a great basic (albeit 100% stock) platform for camping. Like what you're doing. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Love to see info on the camper too. I have been debating a Starcraft 36RT for a long time. But not sure if the build is really strong enough for off road (not rock crawling obviously but just FS type and logging roads with occasional rough patches).

Coincidentally I saw Yukon on I-5 northbound today with nice level lift.
The rims were a perfect backspacing too. Hugged the body real well. Those trucks have really comfortable seats.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool looking `Burb´Oobray and I like:drool:the drawers system you have in the back. Looks like you have a good suspension set-up going there too. I am looking forward too seeing pics of the otherr things you do to your truck. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior