Custom Class C 4x4, what's it worth?

ErictheRed

I have an opportunity to buy a 1979 Chevy g30 Winnebago Itasca 20ft long. 400sbc/400th/205 transfer case. Dana 70HD rear axle and Dana 60 king pin front axle. Custom 4x4 conversion. 12000lb winch, solar charging system. The couch folds down in to a bed, the toilet is a "natures head" composting toilet, water heater is on on-demand propane heater, heated seats. The cabinets are custom with positive locking latches so the don't come open while 4 wheeling. Cal king sleep number bed. 70,000 miles, 15,000 since conversion. I have looked for comparable vehicles and there is not much out there. The person who built this is a friend and ex-coworker who pays attention to details. Question is, what do the people in the Expedition Community think this is worth? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Beach 2.jpg
    Beach 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 79
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 78
  • sink n fridge.jpg
    sink n fridge.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Rear steps down.jpg
    Rear steps down.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 90

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I can't give you a number but it sounds like a very nicely done truck. As long as you keep that 400 smallblock cool, that drivetrain is near bulletproof.

doug720

Expedition Leader
It worth what you will pay for it...and what the seller will take for it.

It's old, unique and that limits it's appeal to many people. For you it may be perfect, but remember, the seller/builder thought this at one time also!

I have a class A motor home currently, and have owned many campers, Class C's and A's over the years. 97% of our camping is dry camping after we drive on dirt roads. Dirt road can really hurt a RV. Newer RV;s have much better construction - welded metal frames, Vs older models - screwed and stapled wood construction. What I'm getting at, is to really look hard at the RV body for cracks, flexing, and the worst problem, moisture. Leaks will kill an RV!

The 4X4 part is cool, and IMHO, really just to get you unstuck on relatively good terrain and sand. If you take this on any thing even resembling 4X4 terrain, the body will flex itself to death.

It sounds cool, but look hard to see if it is really the best vehicle for your needs and wants.

ErictheRed

Thanks for your input. I recognize this will not go down Jeep trails. It is not screwed and stapled wood construction, metal and foam panel construction. The reason it is being sold, owner/builder bought a 47' sailboat a couple years ago and has bounced between that and the RV. He has decided he will be on the water for at least the next 2 years and didn't want this to rot away while he pursued other interests. I am buying it, but being practical I am curious if others here had a ballpark idea of what something like this goes for when they come on the market.

D

Deleted member 9101

While I have no clue what its worth, I do know that drivetrane parts will be dirt cheap....lol.

garyhaupt

Gary Haupt
I answered your question on RV.Net. I note that someone on here did say...it won't flex..it's not a Jeep 4x4 go anywhere. Which is really good info.

Gary Haupt

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I've met someone in British Columbia on a ferry who had a similar RV with I think a Coachman build with a 1985 Van as I recall; he said paid about $6000 USD for it.

And regarding the flex, he said while its no trail mule, its great for winter camping when you need to drive up snowy roads; he used it mainly for his travels in Northern BC and the Yukon.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Its a $3500 RV without 4wd. As long as it had sway bars put on and drives right at 70 plus MPH it's probably OK. I'd go beat it and hit the breaks hard to make sure it's not going to kill you first. My buddy has an old Itaska 24' 2wd. He had it for years and has been great. 10-15k if it drives perfect and tight. If it's mint, loaded and with no rust and you pay more you will never get your money back but who cares. If you pass let me know.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
A 1979 20' motorhome in good shape with no updates but otherwise usable is about $4,500 on the high end in my area, but assuming everything works on the unit you're considering, I'd say that $ is in the ballpark. A 4wd conversion at a shop would cost about $5k if you provided the axle and transfercase, etc. A Nature's Head toilet is about $1k plus installation. Depending on brand and model, the 12k winch is about $800+. Solar could be $300, could be $3,000; need more details on that. The leather (or pleather, etc) couch and captains chairs would run about $500 used to $3,000 new, plus custom brackets, so $750 to $3,500. On demand water heater is $150 to $500 plus installation; need more details. Custom latches could $50, could be $500; need more details on that. CA king Sleep Number bed is about $1,700.

If you want it and it meets your needs and you're comfortable with it's age and modifications, I'd say $10k would be bargain range and even $20k would be justifiable.

As with any RV, I'd be mostly concerned about leaks and structural integrity. Get a pressure washer and go over all the seams, windows, fixtures, etc or park it in a serious rainstorm and monitor the interior. Check under, behind, inside, and above anything and everything you can. Test the AC, fridge on all possible modes, furnace, stove, oven, etc etc etc. A class C is basically a cheaply built house and a one-ton truck combined so inspect as a home inspector would, and as a mechanic.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
20K is ridiculous!...

Well I'm glad my response to the original poster was met with such enthusiasm... If a person wants a small (~20') 4wd class c motorhome with the tire size and clearance this one offers, i do not think you can readily buy one, ready to use and with things like solar, composting toilet, etc for under $20k. That's why I said that dollar amount is "justifiable."

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Thanks again for all replies. Mwilliamshs I am with you. There may be steals (6k) on something like this every once in a great while but that would be like a needle in a haystack. The fact that I know the po and the history of the rig is that much better. I will be picking it up soon and will post some better pics. I am pretty stoked and look forward to making this my own and having a lot of great times. This is a great rig for my area and what I want to do.

Abitibi

Explorer
I love these old girls and I agree, $6000 would be an insult to the current owner. Id say above $10 for sure if it's as good as it looks on the pictures.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz