Carrying extra fuel

Robert Bills

Explorer
Trophycummins said:
rayra said:
Astronomically unlikely you'd get harassed for non-CARB cans on the road in CA.

On the road? Maybe not. People that enforce OHV laws, you bet your ***. They all know we all use non compliant cans, but it takes the one ******** ranger/sheriff you come across you make you pay.

The California statutes and regulations prohibit the sale, offer for sale, advertisement, or manufacture for sale of non-CARB certified fuel containers in California. There is no statute or regulation that prohibits the possession or use of non-CARB certified fuel containers whether they were acquired prior to the enactment of the restrictions, acquired by the end user in other jurisdictions, or otherwise.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, they haven't got around to banning USE of non-CARB cans.

redacted the rest, don't want to give some mod the vapors.

lchavez

Observer
When I had my CJ-7 I had a dual swing out carrier in the rear that held the spare tire on one side and three 5-gal. jerry cans on the other. I would typically carry 1 fuel + 2 water cans, but realized that 95% of the time the water in the second can would never be used. Similarly, when I carried 2 fuel cans and 1 water can, there was only one occasion when I needed to use the fuel in the second jerry can which I could have easily avoided by not passing up an opportunity to refuel. Eventually I came to the conclusion that being able to carry 15 gallons in fuel and/or water afforded peace of mind that I would not run out, but the reality was that I only needed one fuel can and one water can unless I was on a long distance trip in an undeveloped area.

A bit hard to see, but shown here:

P5KVBIzwJOuorGD4Ri-Im_Gwba57E6gMrZs2Lpqm9aeBZ81AlqMj5tjoUbVDAvFS3JMqqhNTVSpOAkl52aTylUPdkJZQK0iCM0iboH_s4httJh8ipVVxvqy1RYwK1yMaKZ5mTO-oPqAJe-xToqUixHTtsMKxaOkmYbKRH-QbO_i_xw3osDgOeWOqCos2pUFOE-6PUZ2Y3-BUs3qySf_8ol_HqLVEvGb6d63_lDr-PQfi05e_AFuDQ7TMAzdWWjraSytEK3agyIrc-F2fWey2D1gb5W18ZbkrqB_CWR4AeQiB2GvGxTfLyW-5SSWq8QvBiq67cqEDds-LRefwittgZqtoyvwNKUJd8MQxCxVk5NRWAbMRHWyORr5ZiyzBFko3Rb0ASz2uHOre67jeuOyzJHA0mxcDTx_l9wpNAyM8JnFfPdc9jzy4seMqIN36vfCZczmvmdjpgiE6UKRhUfMBTDBB7_TY4hpJ45m_wUHLsL-06jQJAwTfLWouo4u_o_8AESAdGgP5bFa_cWhAdpthyoU02-JU4jsHtzDwZd0vAVenWsJ3rNcBCBV0TUvPLJHzK_bZI7cufrBsZT8p5wty7P9qzdXA1N8=w640-h426-no

Fast forward to now. My needs have changed and I now offroad in a Nissan Xterra. Interior space is too valuable to be taken up with fuel and water containers, and standard jerry cans (Blitz, NATO, Scepter, etc.) are tough to mount outside without a custom bumper and carrier. Jerry cans are also too wide for 2 to be laid flat side to side on my roof rack, and I don't want to deal with height/clearance issues presented by carrying them on the roof rack upright or on edge.

My solution has been to use Rotopax fuel and water containers, securely mounted to the roof rack. [2 ea. 2-gal. fuel + 2 ea. 2-gal. water.] I carry an additional Rotopax 2-gal. water container in the rear of my truck rigged with a siphon faucet for the convenience of running water for cooking, wash up, etc. I have never run out of water with this set up (6 gal. total), nor have I run out of fuel with 4 gals. available in the Rotopax containers. My Rotopax containers have never leaked, and the 2 ga. size is easy to handle. One 2-gal. gas can is about 13 lb.s filled; one water can is a bit over 17 lbs. filled; total weight for the 4 on the roof rack is about 60 lbs.

My current arrangement:

bU5lVjtUNxIKR3HEA_PSO-HRbaRHODPlJjzqDI7zZe8PQe_tn_9XYVhAxf05I7A2ZspCbO9PQeGMOz29VHnsNPB51MTlyL_GFNc4lfupG478lVD0BVWveJYCnzBPqs1Sp09q2ITWw4NLsGuxQ3ryYhP5m36BjO49U-qyEjRhWKMkxQm6zWlz8nxg9JuBAOnalJDLgM7MOMItWH7a-hl4v-c7_5etkOi3mzqKJ2orj8hIvE7WznUdbuTXmM7WvGhqOM7HsZjgEXKSK7QfFf5ynw_nt8PCQ0xb3LjoV3H6FggV5gsq03AfHFUrZ5QV1GFHy23IHd9-OEb0EN8fq0U6k7p4KYBkABmmkinOX_I8s8_JkiodDqzk1BIQSw7cWEABVi1zfU_mD7ZhDq9Aa_waY7ATcPkwZ34HMw0Nb4-0SQepH0S0--bWz3fh2V9BhGBSwsTHwgLTD6dLv28J7IhqGUeAwAiE8PUw2tkgZAaxMSJNXQ7VyTg9u52aur-tVrImLAF7VLNozgOHlpOgFhUwcevhgMUhFmbCkPxHoaAvjLbAXLm_71CXocF3w7e8AWJjqG7_9S3NWXvHssU3kf9ZUGcyIZRYSiY=w890-h667-no

5lf7Ot1Pgxp8YUKvW8Pulzi7q7r9jfVWKaiGthDNdGX3rmlelTlean-hh94BPfVibCxRdH4ySxPqjmA0JP-q5Hxpm6QVIIDql_6Czbgh_8RcvgOsPhUmyWmS0SuOkH6kmDZQukwvQLhs65hXQ79VCqqjTyrZ9ykK7lZScyflydu7nATG2hdpCoLJsWe1R_RTkXvA8TB1rbPKa7beb1GRvXcoZK99PrvYbYo2HtsKnTGb5NFq2RcLFXPW_7xrpep8e2wyuwatbydnqVdVJw2nvN73WzsTW3e8abJpqwYXMgFRYwhqLRYVoOk4CxWYrD5tgE_SR8UUKCkXhxm0whZlla7ZFG56NXWaI9k8-lBoReJmVWKYkBp1nrTXljbpIXlov4dlQzbjXlFlayLqnfaVq_mf8EPISEvH_wpBj6zLKqGK9Ke2lkxGHo-OFD5J_vaP3rhLDXCNepohs1IV8LaHqW_WW_TKeSZxpKaPPW8VUx7h9c0r2h_SrDdB6ufJvLlR-9Wyw56ktjCKr8Tn2W4W3TrOnDaQnvrjF2ocnJyQVsgMlipyqjeTQHlf-jnghE_07fk_YRCVVGce6srN1CZvt7Aw5IiGKnw=w823-h633-no

I've got my rotopax set up the same way (water), but have not been brave enough to carry fuel on the roof. Good to hear you have not had any leaks.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
The California statutes and regulations prohibit the sale, offer for sale, advertisement, or manufacture for sale of non-CARB certified fuel containers in California. There is no statute or regulation that prohibits the possession or use of non-CARB certified fuel containers whether they were acquired prior to the enactment of the restrictions, acquired by the end user in other jurisdictions, or otherwise.

The issue is that non-carb compliant cans are now sold as "utility cans" in California. Thus, you are not using a can certified for use for gasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Balls. 'This old thing? Officer I've had this can for years, bought it legally, too. See right here where it says 'DOT Certified'? I don't know what this other 'CARB' foolishness is about and frankly you can stuff it.'

/I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of petty officiousness and ever-encroaching regulations.

"I am free no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
Professor Bernardo De La Paz, 'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress', Robert Heinlien.

Robert Bills

Explorer
It is urban myth that one can be cited in California for possessing or using a non-CARB approved portable fuel container or "utility jug" as long as it was originally designed for gasoline.

If a law enforcement officer, park ranger, BLM official or anyone else ever tries to cite me for possessing my non-CARB approved jerry cans I can't wait to see what statute or regulation he or she lists on the ticket because there isn't one. The infraction would be thrown out in court. The language in the regulations is specific that the prohibition is against the sale, offer for sale, advertisement, or manufacture for sale of non-CARB certified fuel containers in California.

There is no mention in any statute or regulation that I can find that possession or use of a non-CARB approved container originally designed to store gasoline is a prohibited act anywhere in California, including Federal land. Anyone claiming the contrary should cite the specific statute or regulation they claim to be relying upon rather than repeat misinformation gleaned from gossip or some unsubstantiated source on the Internet.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
It is urban myth that one can be cited in California for possessing or using a non-CARB approved portable fuel container or "utility jug" as long as it was originally designed for gasoline.

If a law enforcement officer, park ranger, BLM official or anyone else ever tries to cite me for possessing my non-CARB approved jerry cans I can't wait to see what statute or regulation he or she lists on the ticket because there isn't one. The infraction would be thrown out in court. The language in the regulations is specific that the prohibition is against the sale, offer for sale, advertisement, or manufacture for sale of non-CARB certified fuel containers in California.

There is no mention in any statute or regulation that I can find that possession or use of a non-CARB approved container originally designed to store gasoline is a prohibited act anywhere in California, including Federal land. Anyone claiming the contrary should cite the specific statute or regulation they claim to be relying upon rather than repeat misinformation gleaned from gossip or some unsubstantiated source on the Internet.
You keep missing the fact that all these race cans and utility jugs are no longer "designed for gasoline".

Its the equivalent of having your fuel in a 1 gallon water jug in the laws eyes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

doug720

Expedition Leader
I see a couple issues that could create problems with gas cans:

1) They must be marked as gas cans from the manufacturer
2) Gasoline containers are to be red in color
3) CARB issues
4) Liability - If you have an accident and it can be proven you were negligent using non approved gas cans = Bad

I think the CARB rules for gas cans are a bad joke and cause more spills than the old cans by a long ways! With that said, I don't hang non approved gas cans on the exterior of my vehicle tempting fate.

If someone chooses to use a non-compliant gas can, it's their problem, but don't complain if there are consequences.

perkj

Explorer
Metal Nato cans have been available some time now with CARB complaint spouts. Note its the spout that is carb compliant and the can is exactly the same as any other NATO can. These are legal for purchase in CA so long as you buy the CARB spout with the can. I have this set up and actually prefer the spout since it doesn't pour until you depress the nozzle:

http://expeditionportal.com/the-new-carbepa-compliant-jerry-can/

DSCF0790-640x426.jpg

JBThompson

Adventurer
Seriously, when did we become such a fear-driven culture and why do we accept it?

About the same time our federal government became an overbearing police state through the unabashed creation of victimless crimes, many of which are enforced by over-zealous bureaucratic alphabet agencies and carry prohibitively expensive fines and/or jail time? No, seriously.

Tazman

Adventurer
About the same time our federal government became an overbearing police state through the unabashed creation of victimless crimes, many of which are enforced by over-zealous bureaucratic alphabet agencies and carry prohibitively expensive fines and/or jail time? No, seriously.

Another Trump Supporter. That is not a bad thing just part of the change happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior