10' x 10' Free-Standing Canopy : 18" Round Stakes or Weighted Bags to secure?

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I use stakes through the feet and I back that up with ratchet straps attached to each corner. I've been setup in winds gusting to over 40mph - it was fine then, but I took it down anyway, no sense in destroying the popup just because you can :)

Here is a typical configuration:

straps.jpg

Last edited:

MzPriss

Observer
Stakes. I don't want to haul the weight of bags.

If the stakes don't hold it, it needs to come down or you take the risk of damage or it taking flight....IMHO.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Stakes. I don't want to haul the weight of bags.

If the stakes don't hold it, it needs to come down or you take the risk of damage or it taking flight....IMHO.

You don't have to haul the weight of bags, that is the beauty of them. You just fill them on-site, and then dump them when you're done.

MzPriss

Observer
You don't have to haul the weight of bags, that is the beauty of them. You just fill them on-site, and then dump them when you're done.

That would depend on where you are, and your ability to handle that. I personally couldn't fill and dump every time due to physical issues. However, if it requires more than good stakes to keep it on the ground, it's too windy to keep it up anyhow, IMHO.

dcg141

Adventurer
I have used 10x10 popups for years. Mine are the really heavy duty ones with the 6 sided poles. I stake them down at the feet unless there are storms in the forcast. Any gust with pick them up so unless its just dead calm I always stake the feet. If there is definite stormy weather moving in then the guy lines along with staking the feet come out. In the winter I have sidewalls that go on and its amazing how much less wind prone they are with them on. The wind can no longer get underneath the roof and its becomes really stable.

GHI

Adventurer
Grab yourself a few empty 1 gallon milk jugs if you have the room to bring them along. Fill them up with water, tie up to the 4 corners and let them hang. I've seen it done numerous times here in Michigan. Now with that being said, it should be noted it's almost hard to camp here without being near some type of water source to fill them.

Biggunns

I use 3/8 in x 8 in. Spax Powerlag from Home Depot with a fender washer on the feet and for the guy lines.
http://thd.co/1UQ3srD

I always carry a battery powered impact driver in my vehicle which makes for a fast setup. And it's better than cussing because you smashed your thumb or bent a stake.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94