10' x 10' Free-Standing Canopy : 18" Round Stakes or Weighted Bags to secure?

artaq

we bought a new 10' x 10' free-standing canopy and are wondering the best way to keep it on the ground. should i invest in the weighted bags, or are 18" round stakes the better and easier choice?

if you advise round stakes, what is the best way to employ them? rope or ratchet strap?? i'm new to all of this, so please dumb it way down for me. thanks in advance! :sombrero:

crab

Bags would be heavy to carry with you, unless you filled them at each campsite, which is a drag. Stakes through the feet of the canopy would be my first try at it. Of course if it's windy yo have other issues. Lash it to your rig?

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Those things are like sails. I've seen so many fly while at the beach.
Even if you go with the stakes just roll up a bunch of sandbags in with the carrying case. Just incase.

jim65wagon

On the beach we use sand bags with guy lines. In the forest we use stakes through the foot of the EZUp.

For the guy lines (they are preattached to the ezup) they loop under the face of the stake ( or through the sand bags ties) and are tightened with a truckers hitch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We use stakes that are about 10" long and probably 1/4" diameter.

Basically these:

https://www.amazon.com/SE-9NRC10-Ga...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:4916187011

I hammer them into the foot of the pop up. I have had some difficulty pulling them out so I got a flat wrecking bar that I can put underneath the head of the stake and then rock back up.

For pounding them into the ground I like an all-plastic dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41800.html

It's bright orange so easy to see and hard to lose. I've lost the head of a few rubber mallets so the all-in-one-piece dead blow hammer has been a good choice.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Elaborating a bit - the problem, IMO, with bags or weights is that if you camp in high winds (and we get a lot of winds where we camp in the Rocky Mountains) that canopy can get enough wind on it that you would need a LOT of weight in order to keep it on the ground.

I have thought about making some canopy weights with PVC pipe and concrete, but my fear is that if they're not heavy enough, a strong wind might catch the pop up and then my weights could become missiles and hurt somebody or do some damage.

I've seen people use water filled containers - I think the problems there are that in order to get enough weight for strong winds you need a lot of water - like 5 gallons or more per leg and the containers for those, even if empty, take up a lot of space in the vehicle. The other problem here in the arid West is that we aren't always camped at a place where I can easily get 20 gallons of water to use as a weight.

I've never had a problem with staking the tent to the ground, with the exception of a couple of times the stakes have gotten so "bound up" by the ground that I have bent the stakes pulling them out. Since they cost about $0.80 each at my local camping store I just toss them in the trash and buy more.

About the only time I wished I'd had weights was when we were camping at a spot that put our trailer either wholly or partially on a paved or concrete pad. What I try to do in those cases is ratchet-strap the pop up to the trailer, the picnic table or some other very heavy object.

jim65wagon

On the beach we have on occasion had to add several extra guy lines and sand bags to keep the EZ Up from blowing away in the fierce winds of Cape Lookout. We went to sand bags on the beach because even the wide sand stakes couldn't hold it down. For sand bags as we dig a hole to fill a bag, the filled bag gets linked to the guy line then dropped in the hole. Fill the hole with sand burying the sandbag. Canopy no can fly!

Stakes in the woods has worked everytime.....

artaq

thinking more on this, the possible danger with weighted items is that in the event of a crazy wind/rain storm, those weighted items become projectiles. i went with 4 ratchet straps and i also bought eight 12" nails from Home Depot. i'm going to also purchase four 18" round stakes, in case i feel the 12" nails aren't enough.

thanks to everyone for the advice!! :sombrero:

krick3tt

Adventurer
12 or 18 inch rebar with a washer over the end and welded to that end to keep the leg from creeping up. the really big nails from HD are great. I weld a washer on one side to create a hole for guy rope, serves double duty...paint them day-glo orange, make guy ropes out of light color material or the type that is reflective at night.

zimm17

Observer
For non-storm condition winds- I use cargo tie downs to everything that's heavy. Coolers, fuel cans, tree trunk, bumper of truck, fat guy in folding chair...

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Stakes. I like the surplus military tent style that are 10/12" long and 1.2" wide or pieces of rebar. Sure it's over kill but I would rather spend 15 min staking the thing down than waiting for that one freak 12 mpg gust that will inevitably show up and send it sailing and my big axx chasing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz