Best Way to Monitor a Battery Status for a single battery system?

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

I'm running a 2011 Ford F-150 for my adventure truck rig and I'm interested in setting up some sort of battery monitoring system. There's no easy way to run a dual battery system on this truck, and I plan on eventually getting an Ark Pack to fill that role, but I'd really like to be able to effectively measure the state of charge on the house battery.

I know that "volts" doesn't necessarily equate to "charge;" what I need is an effective battery monitor. What do you guys use? What would you suggest?

rayra

Expedition Leader
what is it that you're seeking data on, beyond state of charge?

There are a lot of battery system monitors in the solar and RV markets, but most of their bells and whistles revolve around power management / generating alarms on various limits and tracking history / usage data. But most of that is 'system' level info and at most they can tell you the voltage on a designated battery or battery bank. So you are back to a voltmeter anyway when it comes to an individual battery.

And you might get more experienced or detailed info if you get the mods to move this to the 12v / battery / solar subforum, where most of that knowledge hangs out.

v_man

Explorer
A simple volt meter that gives you constant feedback is mandatory IMO . This was an easy install, wired directly to the battery, I've had it on continuously for almost 3 years in my truck...

IMG_0964_zpsb01b7571.jpg

IMG_0963_zps2407f591.jpg

This situation happened to me once: I was on my way home and my alternator died. I could tell from the volt readout that the truck was just running off the battery (volts steadily dropped below 14v). This gave me the information and opportunity to get off the highway and start looking for a parts store etc...I'll also say that as you become familiar with your volt readouts, you can ascertain things like state of the battery, different loads that various circuits place on your battery etc...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Shunt type amp counters start out accurate and become less accurate over time.

Algorithmic monitors start out a little off and get more accurate over time.

Just sayin...

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Great info guys!

The thing that I really need the most is state of charge of the house battery; I just want a simple way to see if my battery is getting low. The F-150 doesn't include a voltmeter, but I was of the understanding that Voltage is not the same as state of charge. An audible alarm would be nice, but its not necessary. The national luna monitor looks like an affordable choice, with alarms, but I get the impression its a glorified volt meter. Is that correct?

Like I said, the ArkPack I'm looking at includes all its own monitoring tech, so I only need to keep track of the house battery.

Arclight

SAR guy
Shunt type amp counters start out accurate and become less accurate over time.

Algorithmic monitors start out a little off and get more accurate over time.

Just sayin...

If you are parked for a long time and use solar to supplement your alternator, then I would recommend installing a shunt ammeter that keeps track of total power in and out. I have bene very happy with this one - it's just like having a "gas gauge" for your battery bank:

http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics/

Arclight

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
The national luna monitor looks like an affordable choice, with alarms, but I get the impression its a glorified volt meter. Is that correct?

Yes, that what it seems like...I don't personally own one but I do know a lot of people use them and they seem to like them. Might not hurt to call arkpak and see if they have a solution to your problem that they can solve within the arkpack? I dont know if its possible, just a thought.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
SoC can be checked by voltage, but you've got to allow the surface charge to dissipate before it will be an accurate reading.

SoC can also be checked by reading the specific gravity of the electrolyte, which is really the only truly accurate measurement, but can't be done with sealed batteries.

Amp counters count the amp*hours in/out. You have to tell it the size, in amp*hours, of the battery so it can then calculate SoC. But as batteries age, their capacity goes down. Unless you regularly test the battery to determine the true capacity, and then reprogram the counter with the new real world numbers, the true SoC gets further and further from what the counter tells you.

An algorithmic monitor measures the voltage and resistance of the battery, plots that on a curve and compares it to a variety of known curves stored in memory. It can then make a pretty accurate guess as to SoC and its guesses get more accurate over time as it accumulates data points.

Meh. I just use a voltmeter. As vman said, once you get a feel for it you can do a fair job of guesstimating using just the organic neural network processor installed between your ears.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I lost my alternator on day one of my last trip, a 3500+ mile trip to Yosemite. Got it replaced on the side of the road and upon returning home installed a very simple voltmeter in the center console. Grand total, $9.50 from amazon and it was super easy to install. Now I can keep an eye on how it is charging with just a glance. My solution may be more simple then what you are looking for, but I recommend a voltmeter at a minimum.

IMG_2308.JPG

p.s. I don't know why the picture posted upside down.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
How about something like a Luna Battery Controller?

http://www.nationalluna.com/dualmon.htm

Lots of people have used this and seem happy with it. Easy to install too!
I have two of those in my Power Wagon. A single for the starting battery, and a double for the house batteries. They are easy to install, but not very accurate. I carry a cheap multimeter for those times when I really want to know.

lugueto

Adventurer
I use my ham radio to check, it has a volt meter.

That makes two of us.

I was going to install a Volt Meter after I decided to just use my Yaesu 2900R as a volt meter. It is wired directly to my battery and the screen is constantly in sight.

It gives me a read when I turn the radio on, and the option to constant read in the screen. I find it's pretty accurate too (at least compared to a cheapish voltage tester).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior