Info on best vehicle for overlanding

dieselduckie

Hello all, I'm new to overlanding and looking for advice on what to do for a vehicle. I currently own a 1997 Ford F-250 4x4 supercab long bed with an auto Trans, and am wanting to take long road trips with both highway and off-road involved. Is this a sufficient vehicle, and what modifications should I make to it? Or should I be looking for something else? And if so, what vehicle would be a good choice? Am working on a modest budget and whatever vehicle I have will need to have can room for the girlfriend and I, plus a back seat for the dog. Would kind of like to stay with a pickup, and a manual Trans, but am flexible on these. Whatever tips or ideas offered are appreciated. Thanks.

Theoretician

Adventurer
In photography, there is a saying: the best camera in the world is the in your hands.

There is no best vehicle for this stuff, only a good vehicle for what you want to do. Tacomas and LC80s are popular for a lot of reasons, but they'll leave you without an option for a slide-in camper that your F250 could handle without drama. A Subaru is going to leave both of those vehicles far behind when it comes to gas mileage. A Suzuki will kill everything I've mentioned in the rocks.

Get out there, figure out what you want to do, and then start thinking about whether you need a new vehicle to suit your interests. Having 4 wheel drive is about the only requirement and you've got that covered.

evilfij

Explorer
A 97 F250 sounds good to me. The most important thing is to make it reliable. Fix anything broken and maintain it, especially on a limited budget (towing from the middle of no where is not cheap). If you want to sleep in the truck, skip the $1500 roof top tent and get a craigslist camper shell for $100.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Is your truck gas or diesel? If it's a 460 you'll probably need an aux fuel tank or A LOT of jerry cans to get to some of the remote places.

Aside from that aspect that truck will get you a lot of places, length will be a bit of a hurdle, but that nothing that can't be worked with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dieselduckie

The truck is a diesel and in great shape. (7.3L Powerstroke) So if I stick with my truck, what modifications would you recommend? Also, I'm wanting to get bigger tires for it, because the stock ones are rubbish. So, how big of tires can I install without it causing problems? What equipment should I have?

jkilgore11

Adventurer
If you take care of your 7.3L, it will last a long time. I have the 6.4L which takes a lot of work and money to make it reliable for the long haul, but I think I am finally there. After your standard equipment is in good shape, good shocks and tires are a must. My rule of thumb is don't skimp on the tires. "Everything" rides on them. I am currently running 305 BFG KO2's and have been pleased. No rubbing issues. I started out with a RTT and now have a FWC Hawk. Center of gravity changes everything. The rig has been a slow progression based on needs, and a few wants as usual. There are people on Expo that will forget more about this stuff than I will ever know, so I listen and learn constantly. Good luck with your build!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
If your current rig is reliable, it's the best kind of overlanding rig.

Sounds like it needs tires. Do those and then spend money on gas for your trips. Upgrade based on necessity.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I really like the 295/75r17 Cooper STT or ST pro's. They fit a stock truck and wheels well. If you're sticking to smaller tire sizes, I really like the GY Duratracks.

I'd just make sure your gears are correct. 4.10's at least. New brakes. New tires. And a suspension upgrade would be handy if your springs are toast. You'll only need a locking diff in the rear, or a really stiff limited slip. Open front diff is fine. Is this a solid front axle truck, or that TTI stuff?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Your rig is perfectly capable of pretty well anything you can throw at it. The best vehicle for overlanding is the one between your ears. Use your head, and don't push your rig to hard. Tires, I would go for the tried and true BFG KO2. Long lasting, grip, good on the road, good off the road, good overall. If you want to stuff more size, look at a small 2" lift to fit nice tires under there. Mainly, make modifications to the inside, like comfort things, cooler, seat covers if needed, cb/VHF communication, GPS etc. The rig will take care of itself if well maintianed!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not much to add except welcome to the board. As others have said, the "best" vehicle is likely the one you already own! The most important thing is to make sure your current vehicle is in good shape. If you've owned this truck for a while then you probably know everything that's wrong with it and that gives you an advantage over buying a "new" used vehicle with a history that is unknown to you.

I think the thing to do is to decide how you want to camp: Do you camp now and if so, how? Tent? Camper shell? Do you have the basic gear you need to spend several days camping in your truck (sleeping bag, shelter, some way to store food, some way to cook, sufficient fuel capacity to get you where you need to go, etc?)

Then, figure out where you want to go. It's going to be tough getting that big rig onto extremely narrow and twisty jeep trails, of course, but there are lots of places to go that are perfectly suited for a full sized rig.

Since you live in Denver you have some great areas right outside your door so I'd put together a basic set of gear and just go. Take a notebook and jot down any equipment needs or deficiencies you have and then just get what YOU need, not what someone else thinks you might need.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I didn't see you are in Denver as well. Take a look at the Rocky Mountain Overland link in my signature. There are a couple trips planned in the coming weeks. Also, the 2nd Tuesday of each month is a meet'n'greet in Arvada.

The supercab longbed is definitely going to limit some of the trails you can go on out here. My Explorer feels HUGE sometimes. But there is still plenty for you to do as is now.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The truck is a diesel and in great shape. (7.3L Powerstroke) So if I stick with my truck, what modifications would you recommend? Also, I'm wanting to get bigger tires for it, because the stock ones are rubbish. So, how big of tires can I install without it causing problems? What equipment should I have?

Do not ever sell it, you have one of the best engines ever built sitting under your hood. As for tires, I believe you can fit 255/85r16's under it without any lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior